VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: penguins at boot  (Read 493 times)

black-clover

• user
penguins at boot
« on: July 07, 2017, 04:19:04 pm »

how do I get rid of the two penguins image that appear during the boot while the system load the kernel and modules in VL-7.2-STD-RC3?
also, how do I change the background image of the grub boot menu?

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: penguins at boot
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 07:32:36 pm »

Oh wow, you're jumping directly to tournament level hacking.   :o

If you really want to dig into boot loader tweaks, the manual is found here:
https://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html

Should you do go down that road and figure it out, please come back and share the knowledge by writing a simplified tutorial in the howto section.

black-clover

• user
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 09:39:56 pm »

thanks for the link, I'm reading it right now.
they might be little and unimportant details, but since VL works so well I have to find something to mess around with.
as for changing the grub menu background image, that was remarkably easy, shouldn't have bothered you guys..
I just replaced the /boot/grub2/themes/images/background-grub.png image for one of my liking which i just exported with Gimp with the same name and extension "background-grub.png".

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2017, 06:23:52 am »

Very nice!  :)

Glad to see you're digging in to it and having fun. This is how you get good at it.

retired1af

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2017, 07:28:45 am »

how do I get rid of the two penguins image that appear during the boot while the system load the kernel and modules in VL-7.2-STD-RC3?

The penguins are controlled via kernel config. You'd most likely need to recompile the kernel and remove the logo option during the configuration process prior to compile.
ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz

black-clover

• user
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2017, 08:49:50 am »

retired1af,
that's what I had supposed since the penguins come up during the kernel loading process.
the question is why were they put there in the first place ahahah.
VL kernel configuration seems very sensible yet compiling the kernel might be an interesting exercise.
on an old machine like mine (presario c500) there would be any noticeable performance improvement setting the kernel on -march=i686 -mcpu=i686 -mtune=i686 and maybe unloading a few modules I don't need on this machine?
also I noticed swappiness on VL is set on a high number 60 and I lowered it to 10 which seems better for a laptop.
any other tweak you might suggest?

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2017, 09:46:41 am »

I never wondered why the penguins are there, just took it as "that's the way it is". But, being open, you can change it:
http://www.articleworld.org/index.php/How_to_change_the_Linux_penguin_boot_logo

As far as compiling a custom kernel, I doubt that there would be noticeable performance gains. Modules are only loaded when needed, leaving them out won't really do much besides just getting rid of some files on your drive. Still, it could be a fun exercise.  :)

black-clover

• user
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2017, 12:20:41 pm »

it's an interesting a learning-wise worthwhile project, thanks for the info, I'll let you guys know how it works out.

retired1af

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2017, 06:37:19 pm »

the question is why were they put there in the first place ahahah.

Actually, they do serve a useful purpose. The number of penguins denotes the number of CPU cores the kernel found.

Could you imagine 32 penguins across the top of your screen if you were to install VL on a 32 core beast?  :D
ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz

black-clover

• user
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2017, 12:28:54 am »

Now, that's a cool piece of information. And it's also why I love Linux and the Open Source community, you never stop to learn new things and people share knowledge freely. If more people in other fields had the same attitude it would be a better world, wouldn' t it?

M0E-lnx

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2017, 02:08:48 pm »

Should be simple enough...

Grab our build script for the kernel available here (or just clone the whole thing)

https://bitbucket.org/VLCore/vl72/src/72cf8639321586b5bba73ab6233641abf47844fb/var/vabs/kernel4.4/src/?at=master

look for "CONFIG_LOGO" in the config-32 and config-64 files there.
Change that value to "n" and execute the SlackBuild

That should produce the exact same kernel we shipped minus the birds ;)

black-clover

• user
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2017, 04:49:43 pm »

Thanks,
I'm planning to compile a kernel and I will include this instruction in it, but I'm waiting to learn a bit more and gather more tweaks that will improve my system to the kernel before I'm going to do it to make it worthwhile.