VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Dillo and Seamonkey  (Read 264 times)

black-clover

• user
Dillo and Seamonkey
« on: July 09, 2017, 10:45:23 am »

Since I use an old laptop I' ve been trying several web browser to see which one would give the best performance.
Firefox often gets slow when the page I visit is heavy with graphic and at times it freezes for several seconds.
Chrome is slightly better.
So, just for curiosity, I installed Seamonkey and I was surprised by its performance.
It loaded heavy pages without a hitch and never got stuck, very smooth and responsive.
I checked reviews on various websites and Seamonkey is not paritularly praised except for the fact that it is an all in one web application. I don't use mail client and such, just needed the browser and it worked like a charm.
Also I tried Dillo.
Ironically the package I first installed with gslapt couldn't browse the dillo.org webpage since it doesn't have https enabled (if by default Dillo doesn't have https enabled why do they have an https webpage that you cannot visit using Dillo?)
So I compiled Dillo with https enabled and reinstalled it.
Awesome.
It may be limited and many ways and cannot be used as the main browser, but when it works it's amazingly fast.
I'm still getting used to it and its quirks, but to just browse information pages and such its really great.
I wonder why the projact hasn't been developed further because it offers something very useful in many ways.

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: Dillo and Seamonkey
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 12:07:44 pm »

Seamonkey does offer a lot of functionality in one package. You should also try out palemoon as a light but full featured browser. On the even lighter side is xombrero - its development seems to have stalled, but it is very fast and more functional than dillo.

black-clover

• user
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 10:02:19 pm »

Both are cool browsers.
I haven't run them long enough yet but the first impression is good.
Palemoon is obviosly more finished but fast and sleek, responsive. I like the interface and the way it loads pages real smooth. I  can't yet say if it's faster than Seamonkey but I like what I saw so far.
Xombrero it's even more interesting, a nice blend of minimal browser with more power and potential. As for Dillo, I wonder why it is no longer developed because it offer a good mix of functionality and speed.
I'm still studying the docs I found on the web and figuring out commands and configuration, it will take some practicing.
However I'm writing this post from xombrero while chatting on FB and checking my mail and evrything runs fine.
It crashed a couple times at first, probably my mistake but now its running just fine and, as a laptop user, I like the keyboard functionality.
Thanks for the suggestion, as always very good tip.

black-clover

• user
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 11:37:42 pm »

Did you get xombrero to work with video? I tried it with you tube and it freezes at the start of the reproduction.

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 03:46:06 am »

I get the message "an error has occurred" when trying to play youtube in xombrero, but it doesn't freeze.

For youtube, the smtube browser works great though, find it on your menu under "Multimedia".

black-clover

• user
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 10:37:47 am »

yep, I tried again and I did not freeze but got the same message, like it is missing a link or support for the player.
At first Xombrero crashed a couple of times but I think it was my mistake, then it worked flawlessly for hours, loading all kind of pages and being fast despite 5 or 6 open tabs.
of course it is not so blazing fast as Dillo but has a lot of more functionality, I'm still figuring out several useful functions and didn't even dig into the whole security issues yet, which seems to be the big feature with Xombrero.
gomma try smtube tonight.

black-clover

• user
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 10:41:10 am »

smtube works great.
xombrero began freezing all the time while I was using thesaurus.com and dictionary.com, two pages I use often for my job and I got so frustrated that I rebooted and used Firefox for the rest of the day.
Today I tries Palemoon, which seems leaner than Firefox and has a nice interface.
Yet it become sluggish while using Facebook together with some heavy books review pages, until finally it froze. Now I am using Seamonkey for the same pages to see if it was a browser issue or a page issue, but, so far, Seamonkey works fine.

black-clover

• user
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2017, 09:01:29 pm »

I tried Midori today and I'm very happy about it. Simple but polished enough, very light and fast. They packed a lot of functionality into so few MBs.