VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: starting apps at boot.  (Read 250 times)

black-clover

• user
starting apps at boot.
« on: August 22, 2017, 10:01:17 pm »

Hello,
I'd like to know how to start apps that are not included in Vasm at boot or before the login  (like Network-Manager for example).
Is there a configuration file which i should edit?

rbistolfi

• Packager
  • Vectorian
Re: starting apps at boot.
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 10:52:34 pm »

You can append the required commands to the /etc/rc.d/rc.local script
"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!

black-clover

• user
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 10:23:29 am »

Thanks a lot for the prompt reply.

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 10:51:36 am »

When it comes to starting services, you can use the command "service". For NetworkManager, the syntax would be:
Code: [Select]
service -s networkmanager 2345
This creates links to start (-s) the networkmanager script (in /etc/rc.d/init.d) in runlevels 2, 3, 4 and 5.

To remove a service, use "-r" instead of "-s".

roarde

• Vectorian
  • it's enough
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 12:01:46 pm »

If NetworkManager was installed from the VL repository, the "networkmanager" service does indeed show up on vasm's "Services" menu. Starting as regular user, vasm --> Super --> Services, then pick each runlevel in turn.

Using the services utility directly, as suggested is still the surer way to go. Vasm uses it to enable or disable, and also to stop and start selected services appropriately, in real time without rebooting. There's no manpage for service, but if you just issue service without options you'll see some helpful info.

We've been trying to get rid of this iteration of VASM for a very long time now. There are just a whole lot more variables now than when it was first created.
Robert

black-clover

• user
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 03:31:40 pm »

Hello,

You guessed right Roarde, I downloaded network manager and nm-applet packages from the repository page but saved them on a USB and then installed them using  upgradepkg --install-new.
I  couldn't use slapt-get because this is a minimal VL distro that I am building and couldn't connect it to the wireless in the first place ahah.
As you say, on my regular VL distro, network manager shows up in Vasm.
Thank you guys  for the info on how to start apps and services properly, that's exactly what I need to know.
Chrooting into a new distro and installing apps and libraries by hand in the wee hours of the morning is a great way to learn a bit more about the workings of Linux.