VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: What makes VL so fast?  (Read 162 times)

black-clover

• user
What makes VL so fast?
« on: August 21, 2017, 07:24:40 pm »

Maybe this has been addressed before somewhere but I couldn't find it.
Many people talk about how fast VL is compared to other distros, even optimized ones, and I've noticed this on my computer.
What I'd like to know is how VL achieves this performance, if, for example, besides the obvious choice of lightweight apps, the way the system is assembled, configured or packaged is responsible for this behavior.

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: What makes VL so fast?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 04:08:56 am »

I asked that question myself many years ago.  ;D

One big reason is that the environment is not loaded up with background processes. It is not trying to address every possible hardware and user profile. If you want bluetooth you need to add it yourself. Pulseaudio: available but not loaded by default. Just keeping things simple.

Say, black-clover, do you have a number behind "MY MESSAGES" above, to indicate a private message waiting?

black-clover

• user
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 01:49:51 pm »

"MY MESSAGE"? I don't know what that is. Just posted the post the usual way.

Maybe I'm into something above my head, but I'm curious.
I've  read a lot of stuff about how setting certain parameters for libraries when compiling packages makes a difference in the way a system performs.
How is that taken into account in VL, besides optimizing for i686?
Is that something that I can learn about from studying the pkg building process?

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 05:15:33 pm »

Build optimization is another way of speeding things up, yes. Most of the code used to build packages, and even the ISO files, can be found here: https://bitbucket.org/VLCore/vl72 .. find the icon for "Source" on the left side and click thru "var" and "vabs" and you'll see the whole code tree.

The "my messages" I'm referring to is for this forum, on the navigation bar below and to the left of the Search box (you must be logged in). If there is a number showing up, it indicates messages waiting, just click on it to go there and read your mail.