VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: How to create a Live version of VL  (Read 248 times)

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
How to create a Live version of VL
« on: August 27, 2017, 12:00:30 pm »

This howto is more of a "notes to self" than an official guide.

Tools are available to create a Live version of a running VL install. These scripts were built for 7.1, and some features do not work for 7.2.

Obtain the scripts from here: https://bitbucket.org/Uelsk8s/vl-live-tools-uel/ or cheat and grab a package from here: http://vectorlinux.net/unofficial-pkgs/

Some extra packages may need to be added to your installation. Make sure you have these installed: pyparted, gparted, squashfs-tools, xdialog, cdrkit.

After installation, run "vmklive" as root. Remember that whatever is present on your running system gets copied to the Live iso. You may want to clear your browser history and saved passwords before starting.  ;D

overthere

• Vectorian
Re: How to create a Live version of VL
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 05:37:37 am »

Any thoughts on how to boot the resulting iso on dvd?

With the above I get a boot prompt then a repeating error../boot/vesamenu.c32:not a com32r image
I did try /boot/vmlinuz-4.4.7.6 and other random guess

do I need to edit the script first?

thanks for any
Everything Is Relative

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: How to create a Live version of VL
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 09:56:17 am »

Ran into that error a couple times. It was not consistent and I never figured out what caused it. I would recommend doing this in a virtual machine so you can quickly and inexpensively test the images.