VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Vectorlinux 7.2 final has been released  (Read 2379 times)

vector

• Administrator
  • Vectorite
Vectorlinux 7.2 final has been released
« on: August 28, 2017, 03:54:46 am »

Hey gals and gents the final version of Vectorlinux 7.2 has been released and available for your installation pleasure. This release is mainly an upgrade  and bug fix release to our prior 7.1 release. The base and desktop packages have all been updated to their most recent stable releases. The kernel is the latest stable lts release for better hardware compatibility. The repo contains all the latest versions of the most used software in the linux community and much more if the system needs to be expanded. We think the base install covers most of the bases but one never knows. We have released this in both 32 and 64 bit versions and for the first time you get your choice of our light version,standard version or a live version. All of these versions are intended to be installed from a cd or dvd media unetbootin does not work so if you need to install from a usb stick you will need to manually copy or dd the iso to the usb stick. We also are not UEFI compatible so if using hardware that requires this boot mechanism you will need to change to legacy boot mode in your system bios settings. So  in summary choose standard or light for a full computer install choose the live to test hardware compatibility with our version of the linux kernel and note there is no mechanism to install the live version to your hard drive this is for testing only. The standard version is a full blown xfce desktop with all the bells and whistles with custom wallpaper and graphics. The light version is a very customized version of the icewm desktop and is intended for older hardware. I would like to thank our whole crew for making this possible been a tense couple of years for me and you carried on and did it.......woot!!

Download locations:
32 bit:
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-7.2/iso-release/
64 bit
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/VL64-7.2/iso-release/

you will find all the md5sums in these locations as well

Cheers,
Vec

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: Vectorlinux 7.2 final has been released
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 07:17:56 am »

Congratulations, and thank you, to everyone involved in making this release possible. Developers, testers, packagers and users sharing their opinions, everyone is needed and appreciated.

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 07:32:44 am »

Comments are welcome in this thread. Registered bitbucket users can create issues here: https://bitbucket.org/VLCore/vl72/issues?status=new&status=open

overthere

• Vectorian
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 09:43:34 am »

Great News, Thanks
Everything Is Relative

black-clover

• user
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 11:02:58 am »

VL Light perfect distro.
Thank you.

Lyn

• Vectorian
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2017, 02:20:07 am »

Now that Vector Linux 7.2 is with us maybe an announcement on the webpage would be in order? 

overthere

• Vectorian
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2017, 03:18:45 pm »

VL7.2 news, Second that emotion, should at least be in the news section with a download link
Everything Is Relative

tanelle

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2017, 05:46:47 am »

Installation hangs at gcc install.  I had to shutdown and I'm left with grub resque. Something I don't know about.
Running VL since 2002. With some gaps.

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2017, 08:56:55 am »

If the install does not complete, your system will be borked. Best course of action is to try another install. If the machine is low specced, try using the text installer by typing "install" on the first screen.

tanelle

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2017, 03:00:57 pm »

Thanks, that did it. Now I'm going to learn the system again.
Running VL since 2002. With some gaps.

vincent2

• Vectorite
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2017, 10:47:39 pm »

still runing vl  7.2 rc3.1  64 bit with nvidia vga card, already downloaded vl7.2 std final  iso long ago.....

is  it possible to update from vl72rc31 to vl72 std  final via gslapt command( mount vl7.2 std final iso, then set as source from gslapt)?

what's best commands to fulfill this task?

M0E-lnx

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2017, 07:03:13 am »

They're pretty much the same thing IRIC.  Just enable the 7.2 stable repos and do 'slapt-get -u; slapt-get --upgrade; slapt-get -i --no-upgrade kernel4.4 kernel4.4-modules kernel4.4-headers"
You will also need to 'grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg' after that.

vincent2

• Vectorite
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2017, 08:57:30 am »

They're pretty much the same thing IRIC.  Just enable the 7.2 stable repos and do 'slapt-get -u; slapt-get --upgrade; slapt-get -i --no-upgrade kernel4.4 kernel4.4-modules kernel4.4-headers"

thanks !
it worked well...
 but forgot the command to check vector linux version, any hints?

once updating , kernel-4.4.89  are installed...
have to reinstall nvidia driver again, any effective commands to update  nvidia driver with kernel 4.4.89?

currently i booted to 4.4.76 kernel to write  post here.

vincent2

• Vectorite
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2017, 09:18:28 am »

strange, Version of VL  info shows  still 7.2 stdrc3.1
$ cat /etc/vector-version
647.2 STD RC3.1 built on Jul-14-2017

M0E-lnx

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2017, 10:21:13 am »

Yes, that file does not get updated... that's written at install time.  You're up to date though, so if you want to you can just ignore that.
Pages: [1] 2 3