VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Glapt and dependencies  (Read 152 times)

black-clover

• user
Glapt and dependencies
« on: August 29, 2017, 11:18:40 am »

I post this here, hope is the right place.
After installing a "barebone" version of VL (IE choosing not to install Icewm) and building up the system to my liking, I decided to make an experiment and go the other way, installing  VL STD-RC3 normally and unistalling stuff all the way down almost to barebone.
I first unistalled apps using gslapt, choosing only safe stuff, apps that appeared in the main menu.
However, after rebooting the system, several things did not work, noticeably network manager and gdm, due to missing libraries.
In doing this experiment I assumed that when gslapt unistalled an app it would check if the libraries that went off with it where needed by another app and skip them, but apparently it is not the case.
Just for curiosity I repeated this experiment uninstalling network manager and gdm together with all the other stuff and then reinstalling them with gslapt, all at once.
After rebooting everything worked fine.

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: Glapt and dependencies
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 11:37:14 am »

Unfortunately, gslapt/slapt-get is not a good choice for removing packages, especially those with many dependencies. As you found, it is not always safe. You should use the removepkg command for this purpose, as in "removepkg gdm". This will only uninstall the package you specify.