VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: GDM doe not start at boot  (Read 784 times)

frapelli

• user
GDM doe not start at boot
« on: December 02, 2017, 12:23:00 pm »

I have installed V7.2 on an ald IBM Thinkpad A31 laptop, and I am quite happy with it.

I have a little problem (both with light and final VL installations.

Boot ends with a login request. After I type root login and password, I can either type "GDM" or "init 4" and I get GDM screen. I can also "startx" and enter (roor) desktop. From there everything is OK.

How can I boot straight to GDM?

/etc/rc.d/rc.X file is set to DISPLAY_MANAGER=GDM.

In another thread (http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=18794.msg105286#msg105286) I have seen that

"Can you boot to your text prompt by selecting the 'TUI' option on boot, then login as root and type 'init 4'"

solves the problem.

But I don't know how to "boot at my text prompt by selecting the TUI option".

Thanks

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: GDM doe not start at boot
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2017, 01:21:13 pm »

Did you choose to install boot manager when you set up VL, or are you multi-booting, using a boot manager from another distro?

frapelli

• user
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017, 01:33:11 pm »

Actually you are right. I forgot to inform.

Boot loader installed on VL partition, MBR boot loader is from another distro (SparkyLinux).

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2017, 02:33:34 pm »

The folks at SparkyLinux's forum would be the authorities on configuring their boot loader, but here is my opinion:

Assuming GRUB, a quick and dirty hack/test is to edit /boot/grub/grub.cfg (from within SparkyLinux).
Find the code block for VL, and the line
linux /boot/linux root=/dev/sdX (where X is the partition that VL is installed to),
and append " 4", so it becomes
linux /boot/linux root=/dev/sdX 4

The above edit is frowned upon by GRUB devs. It will be overwritten by subsequent updates to GRUB.
When you have the syntax right, the proper way is to edit /etc/grub.d/41-custom (or similar), and add the code block for VL to that script.