VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Vector Linux distro information  (Read 2363 times)

rowo

• Robert
Vector Linux distro information
« on: March 30, 2018, 11:40:36 am »

Vector Linux VLocity 7.2 has no distro info in /etc/os-release or /etc/lsb-release since these files don't exist. I suggest that one of them should exist and contain distro infos like NAME, PRETTY_NAME etc.

My suggestion for VLocity in /etc/os-release:

NAME="Vector Linux"
ID=vectorlinux
PRETTY_NAME="VLocity Linux"

So what do the maintainers of Vector Linux think about it?

roarde

• Vectorian
  • it's enough
Re: Vector Linux distro information
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 02:20:49 pm »

Hmmm.

No.

See: systemd and freedesktop. They're entitled to their opinions, but not to give them to be taken as standards, all the while claiming they are not so intended.

They are.
Robert

rowo

• Robert
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2018, 09:32:15 am »

Hm, how can I convince you?

lsb-release is at least supposed to be part of the Linux Standards Base. De facto there are many major Linux distros using os-release and/or lsb-release: All Arch-based ones, most the Debian-based ones, Fedora, openSUSE etc.

It would be a good thing if ALL distros supported lsb-release or os-release becaus Linux distro info programs could use it. It would make the life easier for the authors of and contributors to programs like neofetch or screenfetch.

I have already applied the necessary changes to my VLocity installation and enhanced neofetch to support Vector Linux and VLocity. The result looks like this

roarde

• Vectorian
  • it's enough
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2018, 11:06:59 am »

I disagree with what you propose, and most especially your reasons for proposing it. Short story: You're adding your voice to those who are not Linux, yet wish to specify what Linux is, their protestations that they aren't doing that notwithstanding.
If you want what another distro does, use that distro.

If you want to determine the direction of the VL as a whole yourself, there actually is a position open for that. If you want to take that on, I can help show you how that would be done if you don't see it easily enough.
Robert

rowo

• Robert
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2018, 03:51:32 pm »

GREAT JOB, discouraging people who want to contribute! >:(

retired1af

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2018, 10:32:18 pm »

GREAT JOB, discouraging people who want to contribute! >:(

There's contributing and then there's suggesting things that the maintainers aren't going to go along with. This suggestion belongs in the latter category.
ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz

bigpaws

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2018, 09:15:52 pm »

Welcome to Vector Linux.

Your view is interesting. Not to be dismissed or ignored. As noted some have
responded without malice or dismissal. The issue you raise including lsb has been
discussed. After consideration there has been not enough benefit for the cost in
limited developer time. The comment on making it easier to for  developers and
contributors is not moot. In several distributions there is no LSB standards therefore
these contributions would be lost.

The distributions that are independent weigh the positives and negatives of following
lsd standards. It would create more work as mentioned above and not move the
direction of these distributions.

Vector Linux welcomes any and all input from everyone. The developers and others
are a welcoming group. I do not see how one point creates discouragement of others
to contribute. During the development of Vector Linux there is disagreement in the
direction Vector is headed by some. This is normal without different views then growth
is not going to go well.

Bigpaws