Author Topic: Hello  (Read 2315 times)

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: Hello
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2020, 07:20:18 pm »
As root, create a file in /usr/share/applications named vncviewer.desktop with contents like this:
Code: [Select]
[Desktop Entry]
Name=VNC Viewer
Exec=vncviewer
Type=Application
Icon=gnome-remote-desktop
GenericName=Remote Desktop Viewer
Categories=Application;Network;

You can change the Name and Icon to whatever suits you.  :)

johnsiddle

• user
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2020, 11:09:33 am »
Thanks NightFlier, I can live with running vnc from the terminal so no worries.

Is xarchiver 0.5.2 the correct program to unzip a .xz file?
My pc has been extracting files from an Arduino file for about 2 days, it just sits there telling me to wait.
The progress line has gone about 2/3 of the way across but has not moved since yesterday.
I think the filesize is about 131Mb zipped up.
js

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2020, 04:13:00 pm »
Xarchiver is a good option for opening .xz archives.

Thinking out loud.. sounds like you are opening an .xz file via a network connection.. it may be that a 131 Mb archive could uncompress to a size larger than your available RAM. This could be a problem.

Have you tried copying the file to the local hard drive first?

Another good program for opening archives is "mc" on the command line. If you remember Norton DOS Commander you'll feel right at home using it.  ;D

johnsiddle

• user
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2020, 08:12:57 am »
Hi Mate.
Thanks for the info, I will try the GUI bit later.

With ref to xz archive, in the end I opened it on a windows PC using Winzip then copied the resultant files over to this VL PC, but the instructions for installing do not work.
I was doing it from the downloaded file and after unzipping in windows it came out as over 550Mb.

They  (the Arduino  instructions) said to right click on the install.sh file and select run, but I dont get that option.
They then said if that does not work go to Terminal (I logged in as Root) and after getting to the directory to type ./install.sh but I get the message ./install.sh Permission denied.
I then tried (my own thinking) installpkg install.sh but that didnt work cuz the extention was not .tar and a few other ones.

I am thinking I will never master this, there seems to be too many optios for everything.

js
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 08:17:30 am by johnsiddle »

johnsiddle

• user
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2020, 09:13:26 am »
I figured out how to make a dir, del a dir, read a file  and delete a file but canot find any way of creating a file.
I tried using LibreOffice and renaming it vncviewer.desktop but it wouldnt work and when I CAT it, it is full of formatting instructions , so I can understand wqhy it didnt work.
There must be a way to create a simple txt file.
john

SORTED   DID IT USING 'CAT >' command, works a treat, thanks Nightflier

Working on install or run etc now.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 09:39:21 am by johnsiddle »

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2020, 04:07:18 pm »
John, you're doing great. I remember reaching several plateaus during my intro to Linux. It was frustrating, but taking a step back and giving it a rest I always found myself going back to it and figuring things out.

To execute a script, you can make it executable by running "chmod +x <filename>", then running "./<filename>". Another way is to run "sh <filename>".

One of my favorite applications is Midnight Commander (mc). It comes with "mcedit", a text mode editor. To create and edit a file, type "mcedit <filename>", a window will open where you can type (or paste with Shift-Insert) your code. Press F2 to save and F10 to exit.

Keep at it,
Roy

johnsiddle

• user
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2020, 03:59:59 am »
Thanks Roy
After trying everything to get install.sh to run I decided that maybe unpacking the file on a Windows PC was not a good idea so I re-unzipped it using MC and then ran the file using sh, it worked a treat, it had a few hiccups in the middle about the wrong syntax creating a temp dir and at the end could not remove a dir but then it said finished and........ It is working.... Magic another tick on the wall.
Thanks for your help.
I hope this thread does not get deleted as I shall be referring to it for a while yet.

Thanks again
js