Author Topic: Hi  (Read 1165 times)

falwaeth

• user
Hi
« on: March 06, 2020, 07:18:39 am »
I'll start off by saying this: I am a varied linux user. I appreciate the GUI of ubuntu-like, and love the ease of access with arch. BUT I am so grateful I found Vector Linux. by random search I came across, and it's been one of the smoother distros i have installed on my VMs. I want to know the full capabilities of vector, and what it's potential is. I have a few questions to ask, I don't know if appropriate here or not.

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: Hi
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2020, 08:04:22 am »
Hi falwaeth,

Glad you appreciate Vector Linux.  :)

You may have read in this forum that the distro is not under active development. As such it is fine for experimentation and learning, but not very suitable for everyday use as it will not be getting any more security updates.

Questions are totally appropriate here.

Colonel Panic

• Vectorian
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2020, 01:52:17 am »
Hi nightflier,

Serious question in light of the above please; is it not safe to use VLocity 7.2 any more? (I'm still using it and am posting from it now.)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 02:17:59 am by Colonel Panic »

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2020, 06:09:50 am »
Short answer and personal opinion: Not safe.

I no longer use VL as my daily driver. No one is working on it. It is way behind on patches and updates.

If all I did was read the comics and headlines on a computer isolated from the rest of my network, it would be fine. However, I do banking, pay bills, social media and remote work. I want a high level of safety.

No networked computer is totally safe. The best we can do is manage the risk. Keep it up to date. Use a firewall. Turn off unnecessary services. Watch where you go on the net and what you say. The list goes on. It's life.

Further discussion on this is invited and encouraged.