Author Topic: Slackware version?  (Read 4256 times)

Locator

• Vectorian
Slackware version?
« on: May 31, 2020, 11:55:47 pm »
This might be a bit of a loaded question, but which Slackware version does VLocity64 use? I ask that because I am going to try and install 32-bit libraries into it (I have the instructions on how to go about it).

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: Slackware version?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2020, 04:52:37 am »
VL diverged from SW somewhere after 12.2. That's why /etc/slackware-version now says "Inspired by.. " 

In the end, it was probably most compatible with SW 14.0

Locator

• Vectorian
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2020, 02:41:56 pm »
Is there a way that I can find out what slackware version VLocity64 actually is?

roarde

• Vectorian
  • it's enough
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2020, 03:28:59 pm »
No.

It's not a Slackware version.

It's not Slackware.

There are differences in scripts, interfaces, and hooks. That means there's a lot of Slackware stuff that will not work.

If you want Slackware, get Slackware. If you want current packages, install an operating system that has currently maintained packages. There are critical elements of VL that need updating; for those, there's no other OS to borrow from.

It's pining for the fjords. It is not, however, simply stunned, no matter how stoutly you nail it to its perch.

Locator

• Vectorian
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2020, 05:39:19 pm »
How then is VLocity64 different than Slackware?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 05:45:49 pm by Locator »

roarde

• Vectorian
  • it's enough
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2020, 06:03:57 pm »
The plumage don't enter into it. It's stone dead.

Locator

• Vectorian
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2020, 08:50:32 pm »
I'm not asking about "plumage", I'm just trying to find out what type of Linux operating system VLocity64 is.

roarde

• Vectorian
  • it's enough
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2020, 09:39:41 pm »
It's Vector Linux, compiled a long, long time ago for a x86_64. It has no other type. There's no other way to put it.

And now for something not completely different.
Mate, this bird wouldn't "voom" if you put four million volts through it! 'E's bleedin' demised!

Locator

• Vectorian
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2020, 09:59:20 pm »
I'm sorry for seeming like a pest about it, but to me, a least, it seems to handle a lot like Slackware, which is why I asked about it.

bigpaws

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2020, 10:19:00 pm »
It behaves similar to Slackware. The builds are not from Slackware or any
Slackware like system. It was built as from the ground up using different
setups and goals. There is no clear Slackware version that you ask for.

Bigpaws

M0E-lnx

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2020, 01:50:09 pm »
I guess the most accurate yet innacurate answer to that would be something like "Whatever slackware-current was at that time"

Masta

• Global Moderator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2020, 09:47:11 pm »
I'm guessing that you have VL version 7.1? That was released way back in the year 2015. The Slackware 14.0 release notes on Slackware's web site are dated  Sep 19, 2012. This means that a lot of stuff (kernel, applications, window managers, etc.) were updated / modified in the release of VL 7.1 vs. Slackware 14.0, and VL 7.2 obviously even further updated.
 There's lots of other changes in those releases of VL, which would make them "not so compatible" with Slackware 14.

However, Your statement of adding 32 bit lib's is interesting (I did this but that was way before 7.0), but I think you'll run into issues if you're planning to use Slackware packages to do this now.
 Consider backing up the installation before atgtempting this, so that you can fall back to it in case of major problems. I won't discourage you of attempting the addition of 32bit lib's, part of the fun in my opinion :-) Though I suggest just adding only the lib's that you need, and one at a time as needed.