Author Topic: All good things  (Read 1650 times)

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
All good things
« on: June 19, 2020, 09:03:17 am »
In the mid noughties, after years of distro-hopping, I found Vectorlinux 5.0 SOHO. It was easy on resources, fast and had everything I needed. However, it was the community around it that really agreed with me. People in the forum were so friendly and helpful. I settled down.

As I learned more and more, my forum activity shifted from asking for help to offering it. After a while I was invited to help with development, which accelerated my learning even further.

I have fond memories of spirited discussions and threads on the forum as well as on IRC. During our collaborations I got to know some great people. You are still my friends.

We had a good run. We had a lot of fun. We made something great. It was awesome. Thank you to everyone who were a part of it.

Roy

Lyn

• Vectorian
Re: All good things
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2020, 03:45:24 am »
I second that, I have loved this distro, I will be very sad to see it go, it was ground breaking - VASM was great, it was light, it was simple, it was responsive, the community was great..... its a shame its looks as if it will be soon joining Libranet and other great distros that were once with us and are now no more.   I have to say that the implementation of IceWM was one of the best I have seen.

M0E-lnx

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2020, 01:24:42 pm »
In the mid noughties, after years of distro-hopping, I found Vectorlinux 5.0 SOHO. It was easy on resources, fast and had everything I needed. However, it was the community around it that really agreed with me. People in the forum were so friendly and helpful. I settled down.

As I learned more and more, my forum activity shifted from asking for help to offering it. After a while I was invited to help with development, which accelerated my learning even further.

I have fond memories of spirited discussions and threads on the forum as well as on IRC. During our collaborations I got to know some great people. You are still my friends.

We had a good run. We had a lot of fun. We made something great. It was awesome. Thank you to everyone who were a part of it.

Roy

I couldn't agree more.  Similar story here... a little earlier than 5.0 though.

Thank you for that post... sure does bring some good memories.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 01:31:59 pm by M0E-lnx »

Colonel Panic

• Vectorian
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2020, 05:58:17 am »
Some history here. Vector was one of the very first distros I installed; the first was a remarkable distro called Basic Linux, which was based on Slackware 3.5 and could be installed from a pair of floppy disks (and in my case had to be, because I didn't have an optical drive in my computer back then). Then later the same year (2003) I came across an article in Custom PC by a guy called Liam Proven, which in addition to assessing the state of play in the Linux world at the time gave a very favourable review of Vector 4.3. I resolved that one day I would try Vector when I got the chance, and it took me another couple of years before I got a computer with an optical drive and could do so.

I've always appreciated its ease of use and its attractive interface, and also the fact that even when the boot loader breaks you can still boot into it from its installation CD or DVD.

It's also hard to appreciate now in retrospect that back when Vector started you had to edit xorgconfig manually, and if you got it wrong - no XOrg. VASM changed all that. For the first time in a distro (apart from perhaps in Libranet) there was a central and easy to use utility which enabled you to carry out all the system admin you needed to do, and meant that you didn't need to be an IT expert to install and use Linux.

I agree with the others who have commented here, and thanks to everyone who contributed. 
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 06:09:16 am by Colonel Panic »

M0E-lnx

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2020, 08:16:31 am »
Good times for sure

bigpaws

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2020, 12:27:52 pm »
I started with Vector just before SOHO 3.2 was released. I had tried Redhat and a few others.

Even after multiple forum changes I am still here. As far as Vector I am not sure of the future.
I know the forum is running and vlcore. The infrastructure is available.

Bigpaws

caitlyn

• Packager
  • Vectorian
    • The Linux Works
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2020, 06:01:03 pm »
I started with VectorLinux very early on, as in a 1.x release, mainly out of curiosity.  It became a regular on at least one of my systems with VL 2.5, circa 2002 or so.  It developed into a very good desktop Linux distro, particularly from the 5.x releases onward.  I made some contributions, mainly packaging and repo maintenance, along the way but I was never more than a minor contributor.  I got a lot out of VL and I am sorry it didn't continue on.

Is Robert (Vec7) OK? Does anyone keep in touch with him?
eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
VL64 7.1

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1

bigpaws

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2020, 08:50:51 am »
Hi Caitlyn,

Good to hear from you.

The last  I heard from Robert was several months ago. He is doing fine. There
were some life changes for him as well. That has been the case for most of us.

I  and a few others check on the forum. Otherwise you could call this a dormant
project.

Wishing you well.

Bigpaws