Author Topic: Browsers and privacy  (Read 1569 times)

retired1af

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Browsers and privacy
« on: August 21, 2020, 05:48:53 pm »
So..... What are y'all using? I've been trying to nail down a "daily driver" for a web browser, but have yet to find one that really shines in both being able to be customized, runs current code, and is the pinnacle of privacy.
Intel© Core™ i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz × 4

roarde

• Vectorian
  • it's enough
Re: Browsers and privacy
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2020, 07:13:45 pm »
I just started looking at Dooble. Capable and privacy-capable. Most of that comes from config I haven't had a chance to implement.

M0E-lnx

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2020, 11:54:14 am »
I have been running Brave for a while, but still hop between it and FF.

Dooble does look very capable though.  I will try that when I get a chance.

roarde

• Vectorian
  • it's enough
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2020, 09:59:16 pm »
I'm sure retired1af has already passed Dooble over, but I want to save anyone else some time:

Dooble is a very nice project. I look forward to really good things from it. Forward is the key word.

It's not ready yet.

At present, it's not really ready to drive, though the very browser-curious won't have any out-of-the-ordinary problems with it. I keep checking back on its progress.

retired1af

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2020, 09:19:18 am »
I've gone back to FireFox for the time being. Was using Waterfox but was getting kind of leary of the old code being used. Was getting to the point to where I was beginning to question the security of the browser itself.
Intel© Core™ i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz × 4

roarde

• Vectorian
  • it's enough
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2020, 01:02:11 pm »
If you are willing to spend a lot of time manually whitelisting third-party addresses, the uMatrix plugin helps security, and reveals much about what's really going on. Very labor-intensive, though.