VectorLinux
April 18, 2014, 11:02:49 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: bluetooth on vector linux  (Read 6913 times)
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« on: February 16, 2007, 04:28:55 pm »

Hi everybody!
My brother bougth an usb bluetooth device for his w machine, and i want to try it on my vector box. Looks like vector recognize it well, but I need a suggest for the software to install to try if the device works. I will try to compile BlueZ tonigth, it is the only i know. Any idea will be welcome.

Code:
root:# lsusb
Bus 4 Device 1: ID 0000:0000
Bus 4 Device 2: ID 1131:1001 Integrated System Solution Corp. KY-BT100 Bluetooth Adapter

root:# lsmod | grep blue
bluetooth              40420  1 hci_usb

Thanks in advance, Rodrigo

-EDIT-
Sorry, a did not check the testing repo, there is a bluez package there, my bad
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 04:34:29 pm by rbistolfi » Logged

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 04:45:39 pm »

There are bluez packages in the testing/ repo.
Add this to /etc/slapt-get/slapt/getrc
Code:
SOURCE=ftp://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/vectorlinux/veclinux-5.8/testing

Then refresh the package list (using either slapt-get ot gslapt) and you will find two packages that are Bluez related: bluez-libs and bluez-utils. I think both of those should cover what you need Smiley
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 04:48:43 pm by easuter » Logged

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2007, 05:21:59 am »

Thank you very much, easuter. Slapt-get did the job. I have one more dumb question, I can't find any bluez-utils bin file, I used whereis and locate with no results. May be a BlueZ user can help me.
Cheers, Rodrigo.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."

--
Jumalauta!!
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2007, 07:02:32 am »

Well, the bluez utils package doesn't install one single binary, but a collection of binaries (some in /usr/sbin and others in /usr/bin):

The bluez utils binaries that are installed to /usr/bin are:

Code:
ciptool
dund
hcitool
hidd
l2ping
pand
rfcomm
sdptool

and the ones in /usr/sbin are:

Code:
hciattach
hciconfig
hcid
hid2hci
sdpd

Now the nice part is that the Bluez devs documented the usage of these binaries in man pages, with the same name as the binaries. So to see what hcitool does, just type

Code:
man hcitool

But then lets not forget the Gentoo wiki (thank god for them! Wink)

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_The_host-to-host_Bluetooth#BlueZ_Installation.2C_Configuration_.26_PIN_Pairing

Skip the installation part since thats already done with slapt-get, and the rest is about configuring bluetooth devices.

HTH

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2007, 03:00:34 pm »

Thank you very much easuter, i will read the man pages, and the wiki is really good (you are rigth about gentoo doc, may be we can make a vector wiki?)
By the way, may be I am wrong, but looks like hard autodetection in VL is great, other people i know has a lot of problem with the same bluetooth device in other distros, but not vector.
cheers, Rodrigo

--
Jumalauta!!
AndK

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2007, 03:56:28 pm »

Hi,

I seem to be having a similar Bluetooth USB device. The lsusb and lsmod give similar output. However, on my 5.8 /proc/bus/usb/devices is empty.

hciconfig gives an all-null BD Address

So this is the end of the road for me, I'm stuck. Is there something wrong with the dongle? It's been working on a windows PC.

Cheers
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007, 10:44:44 am »

Sorry, I did not configure my bluetooth device properly yet.
We are looking for this:

Code:
# hcitool dev
Devices:
        hci0    00:01:02:03:04:05

The /etc/bluetooth/hcid.conf file needs to be rigth.
I have a lot of work rigth now, I will be back to it soon and post news.

It's been working on a windows PC.

I think this is because the evil alliance between M$ and hardware producers  Huh Embarrassed. That is the worst thing about them, I donĀ“t care about XP security issues or Vista hi requeriments, If they want to do that i have no problems... but this is for The Lounge, or may be we should include a more "philosophical" topic  Wink

« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 11:32:19 am by rbistolfi » Logged

--
Jumalauta!!
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2007, 07:10:18 am »

One good: someone got this device to work:

http://akosidexter.wordpress.com/2006/10/19/xubuntu-internet-over-gprs-via-bluetooth/

It is not Vec/Slack specific Howto but could help.
I can not test it by myself now on my vec (still with a lot of work) but I will. I give the link here if AndK wants to take it.

cheers, Rodrigo
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 07:12:22 am by rbistolfi » Logged

--
Jumalauta!!
Diabolic Preacher
Vectorite

Freedomaniac

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2007, 02:35:13 pm »

i had downloaded bluez-utils long back. i always have to get hciconfig up manually and that too as superuser. so strict? Sad

anyways i'd learnt how to push object/file from my laptop to cell phone...n was doin it the whole day. the bluez-utils i read that time didn't allow me to transfer files from my cellphone to laptop. for which i needed either of gnome-bluetooth or kde-bluetooth. now with ubuntu being so popular its all gnome gnome gnome...gnome this gnome that....no one writes about kde stuff...i mean you don't see as many articles.

so anyways i had seen kbluetooth frontend once and got the source for it as well as came across kmobiletools which also i compiled from source. kmobiletools doesn't seem to have some AT engine workin properly (for those on who's comp's this works and you got a cellphone...this is useful so check it). so i rebooted (went for dinner in between) n i see the kbluetooth icon. first of all it gives the error sdpd service not started. how can this be started as a service on startup...i used vasm but its services configuration does not show sdpd. sdpd is located in /usr/sbin i started it manually as root. while being root i brought up the hci0 interface which is my bluetooth adaptor. as soon as adaptor is UP, kbluetooth lists the phone's BD address. so clickin on the entry opens a konqueror window with sdp://<bd_address> and enlists a list of services....none of it being clear as to which will transfer files from phone to laptop...but that's not the problem...yet. main irritation is the pin. following a site's instruction i'd set up /etc/bluetooth/pin and a shell script pin-helper. now is there no way to pair without a pin. the funny thing is my cell phone identifies this laptop with the same name as the laptop on which windows is installed but it doesn't do so for other pc's.
now i know that /etc/bluetooth/pin is 1234 so when i type in 1234 on the phone when prompted. the laptop tries connecting for quite some time and in between tries to send 2 objects/messages (on my nokia 6670 files and messages are delivered in normal inbox only) and in the end shows a failed to connect error. when i run from the terminal...it shows that timeout has been set to 300 and timer went to 301 or 302? even when i was using command line option...i was never able to make a connection...i wonder if it has to do with the pin not being authenticated properly....i changed security to none in /etc/bluetooth/hcid.conf but i still see the prompt for pin coming on the cell phone.

what am i not doing right?

p.s. kmobiletools requires /var/lock open to normal user...is it safe?

Diabolic Preacher
As Is
http://pintooo15.livejournal.com
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2007, 05:16:38 pm »

Hi Diabolic! I'm sorry because I cant help you with this bluetooth stuff, I stop my reaserch because of lack of time. To start a service just add the command at the end of your /etc/rc.d/rc.local -just edit it as root with your fav editor- and it will start at each boot.
Looks like you are almost there, a little more reaserch  Wink

--
Jumalauta!!
Diabolic Preacher
Vectorite

Freedomaniac

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2007, 11:17:03 am »

yes i will find out how to get things workin.

...so i'm still stuck at the pin authentication.

Diabolic Preacher
As Is
http://pintooo15.livejournal.com
elifarley

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2007, 11:15:28 am »

Thank you very much easuter, i will read the man pages, and the wiki is really good (you are rigth about gentoo doc, may be we can make a vector wiki?)
By the way, may be I am wrong, but looks like hard autodetection in VL is great, other people i know has a lot of problem with the same bluetooth device in other distros, but not vector.
cheers, Rodrigo

I second the idea of creating a VL Wiki.

Vector Linux 5.8 SOHO Final   May-15-2007
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2007, 07:36:31 pm »

I second the idea of creating a VL Wiki.

This has been discussed before. I'm cool to the idea of a Wiki. We already have an active forum open to anyone for reading. Our forum has a HowTo section, which any forum member can contribute to.

I think a Wiki would just fragment our help system. Better to keep it all in the forum, in my opinion. What would a Wiki add, except for trendy bragging rights so VL can say "we have a Wiki"?
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2007, 07:52:35 am »

I think a Wiki would just fragment our help system. Better to keep it all in the forum, in my opinion. What would a Wiki add, except for trendy bragging rights so VL can say "we have a Wiki"?
--GrannyGeek

That is a good point, Granny. I think the only advantage of a wiki is it is more easy to read because it has a "book structure". But because we are a little short of manpower, the wiki could wait, and the howtos sections -and dont forget the VL docs- are great.

--
Jumalauta!!
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2007, 10:54:37 am »

I think the only advantage of a wiki is it is more easy to read because it has a "book structure". But because we are a little short of manpower, the wiki could wait, and the howtos sections -and dont forget the VL docs- are great.

I think one problem with our HowTo section is that it's disorganized. This isn't anybody's fault. It's just that as more and more users contribute to the HowTo section, it gets harder to just browse through for something on your topic and you have to guess at good search terms.

I'm sure we could get the HowTo's organized better and I'd be happy to volunteer to try to get them into logical categories. It would be good to have others on the team, too, because there are bound to be different opinions of what belongs where. Of course, we could have one HowTo under several categories. There could be a link on the VectorLinux home page to the HowTo section.

What does everyone think?
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: