VectorLinux
October 24, 2014, 02:47:08 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A really dumb question (regarding kernel headers)  (Read 2720 times)
Artthou

« on: July 25, 2007, 07:56:56 am »

I installed the source to the kernel (2.6.20.3) want to rebuild a module for with installpkg, and was happy to see that it showed up in /usr/src and even made the softlink linux to the directory for me.

I then noticed that I didn't even have make or gcc on my install, so I quickly went and installed them as well.

I think the make mrproper worked okay, but when I tried to make menuconfig, it complained about not finding several header files.  Is there some environment variable I am not setting so that it has the include paths it needs?  I could go in and add it to the Makefile, but there has to be something I am doing wrong, or some order of steps I messed up.

Doing a google search turned up that kernel headers are not installed, but that was likely someone trying to rebuild software that needed only headers...the headers the compiler complains about are right there in the include directory.

I am not at that PC right now, so I am going from memory.  Any insight would be appreciated.
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 08:51:11 am »

What version of Vector are you using?

Please post the output of uname -r

Bigpaws
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: