VectorLinux
October 20, 2014, 02:58:41 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: How to upgrade kernel?  (Read 10461 times)
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« on: February 24, 2007, 05:02:06 am »

Hi all,

Currently I am using VL 5.8 STD GOLD with kernel-2.6.18.5 and I want to try upgrade the kernel to 2.6.20/2.6.20.1 (from what I see from the VL repository)
I google around and found below link

http://www.geocities.com/cyberkabila/main/updatekernel.htm

I am downloading the kernel, module and source from VL repository....
can I just follow what it say from above link and if I want to use back the old kernel I just modify from lilo.conf?
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 06:06:12 am »

just use installpkg kernel*tlz as root from the dir that you downloaded the kernel,modules, and source
then run vliloconf and reboot you will have a choice in the boot selection for the new kernel
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 06:39:00 am »

how about if I want to use back the old kernel?
btw, will the new upgrade kernel cause problem to the application/configuration that I am currently using?

EDIT:

Yeah...I have done it. After install the kernel, module and source for version 2.6.20 and run vliloconf, everything seem to look find...will test it out more......thanks... Kiss
« Last Edit: February 24, 2007, 06:34:56 pm by hata_ph » Logged
shahgols
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 02:30:14 pm »

Just for my own VL knowledge...how do you remove the old kernel once you have installed the new one?

EDIT:  I can't find kernel 2.6.20 using Gslapt Package Manager.  Based on the first post, I am lead to believe that we have it in VL repositories, or am I wrong?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 02:36:09 pm by shahgols » Logged
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007, 05:20:31 pm »

you can get the 2.6.20.3 kernel here:
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.8/kernels/kernel-2.6.20.3-i586-1vl58.tlz
and modules for it here:
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.8/kernels/kernel-modules-2.6.20.3-i586-1vl58.tlz

I would not recommend using gslapt to upgrade to a new kernel for a few reasons.
the first being that if the new kernel didnt work as expected the old kernel would not e  on the system anymore to go back to.

if you download and install the kernel and modules, then run vliloconf and reboot you will see the new kernel listed as the kernel release number IE 2.6.20.3 along with your old kernel.
JohnB316
Administrator
Vectorian

Registered Linux User #386728

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007, 06:15:34 pm »

Just for my own VL knowledge...how do you remove the old kernel once you have installed the new one?

EDIT:  I can't find kernel 2.6.20 using Gslapt Package Manager.  Based on the first post, I am lead to believe that we have it in VL repositories, or am I wrong?

To add to Uelsk8s' post, kernels are excluded from being automatically updated by slapt-get or gslapt for the reason mentioned in his post.

Once you are satisfied that a new kernel package works for you, you can remove it using the removepkg command as root. The major caveat with this is that once you've removed the old kernel, you would need to re-run vliloconf to adjust the lilo configuration.

HTH,
John

VL 6.0 SOHO latest alpha on one box, VL 5.9 Lite on the other.
shahgols
Vectorite

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2007, 02:15:20 pm »

Thanks guys.
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2007, 08:16:34 pm »

Hi all,

Currently I am using VL 5.8 STD GOLD with kernel-2.6.18.5 and I want to try upgrade the kernel to 2.6.20/2.6.20.1 (from what I see from the VL repository)
I google around and found below link

http://www.geocities.com/cyberkabila/main/updatekernel.htm

I am downloading the kernel, module and source from VL repository....
can I just follow what it say from above link and if I want to use back the old kernel I just modify from lilo.conf?

Yes. But I wouldn't recommend doing it unless it's for educational purposes or you need some strange 3rd party driver.

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
Klinggon22

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2007, 06:28:16 am »

I am a newbie and before I really mess something up here would rather ask.  I am running 5.8 standard with 2.6.18.5 Kernel, want to update the kernel so have downloaded 2.6.20.3 Kernel and Module, but says have to install source then run vliloconfig.  Ok how would I go about getting "Source"  and how do I actullay run "vliloconfig" ??  any help would be greatly appreciated.
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2007, 06:51:53 am »

Klinggon22,
do you have any drivers(nvidia, ati) that you need the kernel source to compile?
If not, you dont need to install kernel source.

you should open a terminal, then type "su" and the root password then type "installpkg kernel-*tlz" and after that finishes type "vliloconf"
then reboot and select the new kernel

HTH,
Uelsk8s
Klinggon22

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2007, 07:15:34 am »

yes I have an ATI graphics card, ...so I guess will need it.. thanks
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2007, 07:39:56 am »

You can download the kernel source from here:

http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.8/kernels/kernel-src-2.6.20.3-i586-1vl58.tlz

Please check the versions, all need to be the same!

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Klinggon22

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2007, 07:56:36 am »

Thanks alot rbistolfi, installed everything seems to be running fine.  Thanks for all the help fellas, it is greatly appreciated.  One last question, even though everything seems to be running fine, should I still keep the old kernel just incase?  Or get rid of it?
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2007, 08:02:23 am »

I am glade you solved it! If everything is working fine, I cant see a reason to keep the old kernel, just be sure everything is working, I test all my devices including usb ones and cdroms when I go with a kernel job. If you dont need the hd space, you can keep it for a while.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
mithion

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2007, 09:40:01 am »

I recently installed the new kernel and have already encountered a problem.  VL doesn't natively support the Ralink rt61 chipset so I had to compile my own drivers on the 2.6.18 kernel.  Of course, when I started using the newer 2.6.20 kernel, the drivers were no longer compatible.  So I thought it would be as simple as recompiling the drivers for the new kernel, but apparently not.  I get an error message as follow:

Code:
root:# make all
make -C /lib/modules/2.6.20.3/build SUBDIRS=/home/philippe/Drivers/RT61_Linux_STA_Drv1.1.0.0/Module modules
make: *** /lib/modules/2.6.20.3/build: No such file or directory.  Stop.
make: *** [all] Error 2

I looked in the directory in question and it does exist and there is file called build.  So its quite puzzling.  The even more surprising thing is that when i switch back to the 2.6.18 kernel, I get the same error message but with 2.8.18.5 instead of 2.6.20.3 in the above code paste.  So the kernel upgrade messed up my compiling capabilities for both installed kernels.  Does anybody have this problem?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 09:53:11 am by mithion » Logged
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: