VectorLinux
August 29, 2014, 09:59:02 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Poll
Question: Which Media Player(s) should be the standard for VL 6?
mplayer
xine
vlc
mplayer and xine
xine and vlc
mplayer and vlc
mplayer, xine and vlc
some other media player (post below)

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Which Media Player(s) for VL 6  (Read 19493 times)
JohnB316
Administrator
Vectorian

Registered Linux User #386728

« on: March 03, 2007, 02:11:24 pm »

In response to this thread from The Lounge, I think it a good idea to discuss which media player(s) should be standard in VL 6. The suggestions are not binding on vector and the devs, who will have the final say, but we are interested in your feedback.

Keep in mind that many players like kaffeine, amarok, kmplayer, etc., use one of the big three players as backends to do the dirty work.

Thanks for your feedback,
John

VL 6.0 SOHO latest alpha on one box, VL 5.9 Lite on the other.
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2007, 04:27:09 pm »

My vote went to mplayer. I used to need vlc sometimes for some broken videos, but mplayer now handles those well. I find myself hardly using xine or vlc any more. Maybe add kmplayer as alternate front-end in the SOHO variant.

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
shame

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2007, 06:49:50 pm »

I hate media players that have separate movie window and controls.
I would have to vote kaffeine for soho and maybe totem for standard.
Of course they aren't particularly lighweight.

sidux 32/64-bit | openSUSE 10.2 64-bit | vector 32-bit | ubuntu feisty 32-bit | PC-BSD

repository of shame - beryl-svn daily repo for sidux/debian sid based distros | 32-bit | 64-bit | unofficial plugins | extras
Dweeberkitty
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2007, 07:18:16 pm »

My first choice would be Mplayer. So far it has supported most everything I've ever wanted to play. Xine is nice for playing DVDs and picking up other files that won't play in Mplayer. I say go with Mplayer, or Mplayer AND Xine. (The second choice is probably better)

Registered Linux User #443399
Desktop: Intel Pentium D 3.33Ghz, 320GB hard drive, 2 gigs DDR2 533mhz RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GS, X2GEN 22" widescreen monitor;
Laptop: Dell Mini 9, Intel Atom 1.6Ghz, 1GB ram
Multimedia Bonus Disc website: http://www.vectorlinuxsolutions.com/
JohnB316
Administrator
Vectorian

Registered Linux User #386728

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2007, 07:44:22 pm »

I hate media players that have separate movie window and controls.
I would have to vote kaffeine for soho and maybe totem for standard.
Of course they aren't particularly lighweight.

Kaffeine and Totem use either mplayer, xine or vlc as a backend for doing the dirty work, so one of them would still need to be in the distro. With that said, kaffeine is not a bad media player at all.

HTH,
John

VL 6.0 SOHO latest alpha on one box, VL 5.9 Lite on the other.
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2007, 07:49:51 pm »

mplayer and xine for non-kde users like me........ Tongue
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2007, 07:58:08 pm »

I am very comfortable now with mplayer and xine. I use mplayer most of the time, but I think Xine is best for dvds. I also installed vlc for internet streams, so my vote is for the three ones. With the three we can play near to every kind of video files. Would be nice to have a tool for handling codecs, something for knowing wich one is missing when you try to play an "unsupported" stream.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
stoichyu
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2007, 08:46:39 pm »

I'd have to say mplayer and xine, they both seem to do their jobs pretty well. I haven't tried vlc in linux though, there was nothing that I couldn't already play with mplayer and xine.

There's no place like ~.
VL 5.8 PentiumD 2.8Ghz Registered Linux User #432836
saulgoode
Vectorite

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2007, 12:23:18 am »

Would be nice to have a tool for handling codecs, something for knowing wich one is missing when you try to play an "unsupported" stream.

One of the reasons I feel MPlayer is essential is that it provides capabilities far beyond those of just a "player". It is useful for querying installed codecs, containers, and filters (by passing "help" as the argument to the '-vo', '-ao', '-demux', and '-vf' switches), converting formats, capturing thumbnails, testing drivers and configurations, and a host of other uses.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 01:18:16 am by saulgoode » Logged

A complex system that works is invariably found to have evolved from a simple system that works.
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2007, 04:26:45 am »

Mplayer probably works just as well, but I mostly use Xine and Kaffeine when I can, it just works soo much nicer together with KDE. VLC is nice for transcoding and such, but never really 'rang my bell' as media player.

It should be noted that I prefer a standalone audio player, even though all the above can play audio.

For me, the used combo is usually Amarok and Kaffeine. They both use the Xine engine so that one got my vote.

That being said, I don't really mind slapt-getting me the stuff I need.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 04:29:52 am by The Headacher » Logged

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2007, 05:17:40 am »

KDE user here. Xine to do the work for Kaffeine and Amarok, Mplayer for browser plug-in.

But of course all of the above in repository!
shahgols
Vectorite

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2007, 10:06:28 am »

XFCE user here because I want to keep my system light...I am using mplayer for everything and it has been able to play nearly every media without problems. 
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2007, 11:18:18 am »

I voted for Xine and MPlayer. I use both. I've encountered files that wouldn't play on one but would on the other. Xine will also play audio CDs and MPlayer doesn't seem to offer that option--not that it's a big deal because XMMS plays them, too. I hope XMMS will continue to be included. MPlayer is essential as far as I'm concerned.

I never heard of vlc until saw it mentioned here. What does it do that the others don't?
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2007, 11:33:08 am »

I think mplayer is the way to go as it's the only of the mentioned that can run in a console, to play music.
It has  gui and a non-gui part, so I can use it as mplayer, and control it fully through my keyboard (mouse is not my friend) without any other interface than the main screen.

Don't know what are mplayer vs others disk/dependency requirements but this would help to make decisions.

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2007, 11:41:12 am »

I never heard of vlc until saw it mentioned here. What does it do that the others don't?
--GrannyGeek

VideoLanClient is a very capable cross-platform player. It is one of my favorite apps for Windows. Don't know if it has capabilities that mplayer/xine lack, but like you said, some times one will play what others don't.
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: