VectorLinux
November 22, 2014, 09:44:50 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Poll
Question: Which Media Player(s) should be the standard for VL 6?
mplayer
xine
vlc
mplayer and xine
xine and vlc
mplayer and vlc
mplayer, xine and vlc
some other media player (post below)

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Which Media Player(s) for VL 6  (Read 20315 times)
Freeman
Tester
Vectorite

Choice to the user!

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2007, 01:32:38 pm »

KDE-user here: Like The Headacher and others told so far: using Amarok & Kaffeine which both use xine and other engines.

On my girlfriend here box (VL5.Cool, I tried watching a DVD from 'In de Gloria' which wasn't played/vob-files recognized after the intro, so I tried Xine which did the job just fine.

It's better to die 10 times, than never to have loved at all.
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2007, 04:07:01 pm »

I prefer to use xine, because of playing dvd's flawlessly, and having the bonus of playing audio cd's as well.
Except for password protected files, xine has always played everything I threw at it.

I only use mplayer as a browser plugin and it has given me some trouble there.
(by the way, anyone tried gxine as a mozilla plugin?)
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2007, 12:40:30 pm »

Mplayer + Xine can play just about anything

nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2007, 12:49:33 pm »

This exerpt is from a review at Linux Journal (2002):

on MPlayer...

So this looks like a one-stop shop for movie playback, but how does it perform? Very well. There are occasionally synchronization problems with DVD playback but nothing too major. The only thing to remember is that MPlayer does need to be run on a fairly powerful PC (greater than 500MHz) to work properly. If you are running on low power, MPlayer definitely is not for you. On lower spec machines the audio synchronization can get very messy, and the video becomes jerky, making the DVD, and other movie types, unwatchable. If you are using a lower spec machine, VideoLAN Client would appear to be the best option.

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/5644

The above article is dated (2002), but it places a low-end limitation on MPlayer. Not sure if limitation still applies. Moreover, that specified limitation of 500mhz may apply only to Windows boxes.

On the other hand, when I play this .ogg file on my 450mhz P3, Vector plays it well with "mplayer plugin - embedded media player in mozilla":

http://ftp.belnet.be/mirror/FOSDEM/2007/FOSDEM2007-ReactOS.ogg

I tend to use Xine mostly.

nubcnubdo

« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 04:57:48 am by nubcnubdo » Logged
blurymind
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2007, 10:34:45 am »

voted mplayer - the one player that plays everything (but without gui frontend)...altho VL should have more than one players.

I recomend:
mplayer
VLC
xine (better subtitles support)
----------
the rest which are based of something are really not-so-good (kaffeine is buggy as hell, kmplayer didnt work all well too,havent used totem much but when i did i had troubles with it too...)

status: playing around with new tablet and learning to 3d :p
google page :  http://blurymind.googlepages.com
DA PAGE :  http://www.blurymind.deviantart.com/
DrGrov
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2007, 07:48:09 am »

I thought to do a vote also on this issue. I went with MPlayer + Xine since I'm on a old computer with old specs and still would like to be able to watch movies. Of course, just my opinion and I thought I'd share it.
Thanks!

Stop complaining about everything, do something about it instead.
tab0reqq

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2007, 01:04:12 am »

My reply to this post:

1) mplayer + mpd deamon + sonata mpd client

2) b]mplayer[/b] + audacious

A few days before i discovered mpd Smiley Great deamon! Anyway, both options are VL-like idea: light as its can be.

Software: VL 5.8 Gold | Kernel 2.6.19.2 | X.org 6.9 | Xfce 4.4
Tigerwolf
Vectorite

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2007, 03:38:54 pm »

My first vote would be for Mplayer and Xine since I'm more familiar with those.

-- Mplayer works fine for lots of file types, but lacks real (working) DVD navigation
       Mplayer seems to be the basis for web browser plugins.
       Mplayer has command line abilities to do lots of media format conversions
       Mplayer seems to be focused on being an 'engine' rather than a stand-alone app,
         and as such, many of its huge list of features have no (or minimal) GUI for end users.

-- Xine has more DVD playing GUI features, but seems slower even with the GUI off.
       Xine supposedly has the ability to be a browser plugin, but may handle fewer
       oddball file formats.

One seems to play some things the other won't (at least in current versions).   So they tend to complement each other on both what they can do as well as how well they do it.   At current
development stages, it seems both are needed in a good distro.

What would be ideal is to wrap some additional (and optional!) GUI interfaces around Mplayer so that it's real functionaliy could be easily accessed.   With tons of devices now handling various media types, the ability to manuplate and convert between them is becoming more important.   For example I've a tiny Mitsubishi video projector with an SD card slot that will play certain movie types like .avi, but, of course *not* the sort of video files my camera makes (.asf windoze-containerized).   And even .avi has enough variability that compatability is problematic without conversion capability.

Since VL is supposed to be both fast, and small, and efficient, whatever the choice becomes, I'd hope that those attributes are paramount.   XFCE compatability is a must since KDE and Gnome seem to be in a continual chase windoze bloat mode.   

KISS should be the main rule!

=^_^=  Tigerwolf

Running: Vector Linux 5.8 Standard   12-16-2006
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2007, 11:02:24 pm »

KISS should be the main rule!
I agree, and so do these guys:

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
hanimal
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2007, 06:16:03 pm »

My vote goes for the VLC player.

The VLC player is efficient enough to play dvds on a 266mhz pentiumII laptop at acceptable quality.  Xine almost works.  Mplayer has seriuos problems syncing audio with video.
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2007, 07:48:15 pm »

I guess personal interest is really at stake. I can't give a good answer since the majority of my media XPerience is playing Oggs, MP3s, and FLVs. It seems that MPlayer in particular plays FLV files I get from YouTube most reliably

If space isn't an issue, include as many as possible. Remember, these typically aren't large packages and can surely be made optional.

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
DrCR
Vectorite

« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2007, 09:48:01 pm »

Found out about VLC a long time ago from here:
http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=VLC_media_player
Didn't start using it though until I start running into  playback issues with other players from time to time.

I would go for MPlayer and Xine on Standard. And MPlayer and Xine + others like Kaffeine for SOHO. I use Kaffeine almost exclusively, with a little MPlayer and VLC here and there.

DrCR
SuSE-Refugee
Ex-Officio
Vectorite

Dude In The Snappy Hat

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2007, 03:58:21 am »

Voting for the MPlayer/XINE-combo aswell: Xine plays well with Opera(or the other way around, which is just semantics), Mplayer-not so much...(But it's way better than a few years back.)
MPlayer works better in Seamonkey.

As standalones, they match up pretty even, with XINE winning in the DVD-playback-area.(Not a big issue with me: I watch the DVD-stuff on my TV/cheap dvd-player combo)

<Lame sig>
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2007, 04:09:47 am »

Based on experience running VL on more computers, it shall be SOP (standard operating procedure) for me to install VLC on all computers that I refurbish with Linux. VLC plays DVDs almost as well as (upgraded) Xine, and VLC plays CDs about the same as XMMS. Between Xine, VLC, and XMMS, I think I got the media angle covered.

I observe that (upgraded) Xine plays DVDs slightly more smoothly than VLC.  I am reading that VLC plays almost any type of media file you throw at it. There is a certain stability, usability, and continuity with a cross-platform application like VLC.  At the very least, VLC is an indispensable back-up.

N.B. Xine needs to be upgraded because the default xine engine in VL 5.8 Std has audio-video sync bugs.

http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=1355.0

« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 07:02:40 am by nubcnubdo » Logged
blurymind
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2007, 07:35:28 am »

I would say Xine is a must....the only player I could get propper cyrilic encoding on the subtitles..
I know how to make them work in mplayer too,but that would require a reading of a howto and some technical knowledge (editing a text file)  Sad
Not sure about vlc.Never saw a movie with subtitles on it.I use it only for weird format files (altho mplayer handles them very well,vlc has some good advance features.)

status: playing around with new tablet and learning to 3d :p
google page :  http://blurymind.googlepages.com
DA PAGE :  http://www.blurymind.deviantart.com/
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: