VectorLinux
July 29, 2014, 08:39:44 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Beryl Live Beta4 Bug report thread  (Read 13215 times)
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« on: March 05, 2007, 08:27:53 am »

please post any bugs you find in Beryl B4 here
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 06:01:45 am »

Md5 Sums?
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 06:27:20 am »

here it is,
979e0e42f53a81a75db23a8beba773fe  VL5.8-std-LIVE-beryl-B4.iso
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 10:39:23 am »

Overall performance: Great! Wink

Nice work. Beryl works out of the box (and 3d of course) on my laptop (Celerom M 1.46ghz Intel 950GM graphics card 512mb RAM)
Hardly any lag on the 3D effects.

Things that need to be taken care of:
When beryl is running, If I open a terminal, I get no text, the cursor gets stuck on the top-left corner of the terminal.
My wireless didn't work out of the box (although it does in SOHO A7 which uses the same kernel and modules).

The pink-ish default emerald theme should be changed...

BTW, Nice work with the graphics blurymind.
Great release

_EDIT_
Quickie hack to get the terminals going:
click the terminal button on the panel, you will see the buggy terminal, press CTRL+SHIFT+T
That will give you a new tab in the same terminal window, that one works
enjoe Wink

« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 10:48:08 am by M0E-lnx » Logged

blurymind
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 11:21:41 am »

thanks,moe... well, i can create anotheremerald theme if you dont like stardust..maybe more simplistic one.With the previous i took too much advantage of the great engine of emerald..

Does this one cause trouble when installed? Do i need to apply the same fix as the previous for the first boot?
I am gonna test it as soon as i get some free time from uni.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 11:24:23 am by blurymind » Logged

status: playing around with new tablet and learning to 3d :p
google page :  http://blurymind.googlepages.com
DA PAGE :  http://www.blurymind.deviantart.com/
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 11:30:58 am »

Haven't seen any problems, really, it's just that a pink theme does'nt really call my attn. But that's me..

I like the Adonis, and the Adonis_Mod themes, maybe those could be choices for defaults.
I also have a played with the Canopy, and came up with a kool variation, intead of the green titlebar, I made it a gladient blue...
Goes from light blue, to dark blue, (bottom-to-top)... It's awsome.

Or something that matches the blue-ish themes VL ships with ...
What can I say?.... I'm a sucker for blue themes.

tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2007, 10:08:27 am »

System: AMD Athlon 1.1 Ghz 512 RAM GeForce 5200 FX
When I ran the beta 4 live cd everything worked fine, including Beryl.  After installing to the hard drive, when I started Beryl, all I got was a white screen and a mouse cursor (I could move the cube around, but that's it).  After doing some googling, I found that a Fedora Core user had solved this problem by installing the nVidia 1.0-9746 driver from the official nVidia site.  I did that, and now everything, including Beryl, works fine.  I have no idea why this worked, or what was wrong in the first place but FWIW this did it for me.
I love Vector.  Even the betas rock!

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2007, 10:37:11 am »

The installer still needs work IMO

I ran the installer from a terminal, gave me some weird error and it asked "Do you run x under installed GTK-x.x.x ?
I noticed CD and CPU activity so I let it do its's thing... no progress indicator of any kind
After a while, the CD and CPU activity stopped, nothing yet on the screen.
I rebooted (or course, it had not installed a boot manager)
I ran the configuration, no sound hardware was detected.... configured X, yet after a reboot, upon entering RL 4 it said in red letters
"WARNING: Recent X-Window was respawned too short."
No biggie, ran vxconf and reconfigured X, and voila!.

After the isntallation, it only mounts the root partition, no /home

Everything else seems fine after the install, exept for the sound

jimk

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2007, 04:58:16 pm »

Hello all,
I am using beryl-beta4 installed to the hard drive.  All the other versions ran really slow on my gateway laptop (1.8Ghz, 512mb ram), then I started beryl just using "beryl" instead of starting beryl-manager, and the cube works great, but the title bar at the top of all windows is gone so there is no way to drag the windows around the desktop.  I know there must be an answer to this, but i couldn't find one in beryl-settings. 
Thanks,
Jim
JohnB316
Administrator
Vectorian

Registered Linux User #386728

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2007, 07:31:30 pm »

Jim,

I merged your beryl question into the Beryl Live bug report thread, as you may have found a bug.

Cheers,
John

VL 6.0 SOHO latest alpha on one box, VL 5.9 Lite on the other.
jimk

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2007, 03:20:31 am »

Now that I realize it may be a bug and not me...

The same thing happened to all the windows that open when I started beryl in beta1 and beta2.  If I closed out the windows and reopened them they would be fine, though. 

Also, when using beryl-beta4, i can see no text in the terminal, but if I hover over the terminal icon in the task bar, it does show text there.
jimk

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2007, 07:28:00 am »

Ok,
I used beryl-settings-simple, and when I turned it up to 5 the title bars appeared.  It was working great for a while with the exception that the window with focus would have distortion around the outside of it.  It almost looked like it was nested within a terminal window.  After about 15 minutes of playing with it beryl will no longer display content within the window.  For example, if I open seamonkey, i will see the buttons at the top and the address bar, but nothing will be displayed where you view the web pages.  If you hover your mouse over the icon in the taskbar, you can see the content of the web page in the popup view.
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2007, 05:53:34 am »

Jimk, Emerald is the one responsible for the title bars and window decorations...

Executing "emerald --replace" (without the quotes) in a terminal should give you window decorations Wink

To avoid doing that every time, I suggest kill xfwm4, so that emerald doesn't find another running window manager
Code:
killall xfwm4 && beryl-manager

The beta however does have that bug, where it doesnt display the content on some windows. And in some cases you're unable to make selections (ie, desktop settings)..

But we do appreciate you testing, and providing feedback...
Glad to know you got it going too.

EDIT:
I built KDE for it, here is a screenie of this release running the newly built KDE

Beryl+KDE

« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 01:54:38 pm by M0E-lnx » Logged

blurymind
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2007, 04:58:40 am »

Jimk, Emerald is the one responsible for the title bars and window decorations...

Executing "emerald --replace" (without the quotes) in a terminal should give you window decorations Wink

To avoid doing that every time, I suggest kill xfwm4, so that emerald doesn't find another running window manager
Code:
killall xfwm4 && beryl-manager

The beta however does have that bug, where it doesnt display the content on some windows. And in some cases you're unable to make selections (ie, desktop settings)..

But we do appreciate you testing, and providing feedback...
Glad to know you got it going too.

EDIT:
I built KDE for it, here is a screenie of this release running the newly built KDE

Beryl+KDE

i wrote a little bash script that does exactly that. It kills xfwm4 and starts beryl when execyted while beryl is not workoing,and does the opposite if you execute it again-it kills beryl and starts xfwm4.I called it "beryl-switch on/off" script and added a link to it in my start menu:
http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/4139/vectorberylus2.jpg

download the script here:
www.garbagewars.com/ora/misc/tools/startberyl.sh
(and make it executable)

(it would be nice to include it in the live cd, or include something like it) Wink

status: playing around with new tablet and learning to 3d :p
google page :  http://blurymind.googlepages.com
DA PAGE :  http://www.blurymind.deviantart.com/
M-ake

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2007, 02:57:54 am »

Im running beryl beta 4 right now with intel 950gma graphics chip, the performance leap is BIG from beta 1 -> beta 4, in a good way I mean. Good job VL beryl team. However, there is a problem with vwifi. Heres what I got

root:# vwifi
checking ipw2100
removing ipw2100 module
checking ipw2200
removing ipw2200 module
checking ipw3945
ipw3945d - regulatory daemon
Copyright (C) 2005-2006 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.
version: 1.7.18
2007-03-12 12:57:57: ERROR: opening /sys/bus/pci/drivers/ipw3945:
No such file or directory (2)
2007-03-12 12:57:57: ERROR: Could not find Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection
removing ipw3945 module
checking zd1201
removing zd1201 module
checking ndiswrapper
removing ndiswrapper module
we dont seem to have a driver for your hardware sorry
would you like to try another module?
if you would like to try another module and you know its name
enter y anything else and we will exit
y
enter your module name
ipw3945
checking ipw3945
removing ipw3945 module
sorry that one doesnt seem to work either, bye

I know ipw3945 module works cause I use it daily on my standard VL. Keep up the good work.

Edit, I dont know if this is a much of a bug, anyways, here it goes

When I try to add audio files to my playlist in xmms it doesnt add them...
« Last Edit: March 11, 2007, 03:06:17 am by M-ake » Logged

Jumalauta!!
--
Fish go m00!
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: