VectorLinux
October 25, 2014, 03:13:29 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: How To Install Enlightenment 17 from CVS  (Read 9415 times)
DrGrov
Packager
Vectorite

« on: March 10, 2007, 05:18:46 pm »

Hi there!

I just think I should share some information with you. I did get E17 off CVS a few nights ago in order to get the latest source code. I saw on slacke17 homepage that the information on the changelog was getting a bit old. I have been around #e on IRC at freenode for the last week and got the impression that there are some changes done to the source code of E17. I have only gotten one segfault thus far with E17 and that was with moving icons to the iBar (the bar down below). I just thought I'd tell you to try and get the source code off CVS and compile it yourself.

It is a easy proccess to do, the information you need for getting the source off CVS is the following:

cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anoncvs@anoncvs.enlightenment.org:/var/cvs/e co e17/libs/eet
cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anoncvs@anoncvs.enlightenment.org:/var/cvs/e co e17/libs/evas
cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anoncvs@anoncvs.enlightenment.org:/var/cvs/e co e17/libs/ecore
cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anoncvs@anoncvs.enlightenment.org:/var/cvs/e co e17/libs/embryo
cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anoncvs@anoncvs.enlightenment.org:/var/cvs/e co e17/libs/edje
cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anoncvs@anoncvs.enlightenment.org:/var/cvs/e co e17/apps/e

It will save the source off CVS at the current directory from where you start CVS, for example $HOME/E17.

After you have gotten the source of example eet, go to the directory, example $HOME/E17/e17/libs/eet and write the following:

Code:
./autogen.sh

2. After the autogen proccess is ready you have to write the following:

Code:
make

3. And finally after make is done you do as su:

Code:
make install

4. The addition from The Headacher, you can also do the following:

Code:
checkinstall -L

5. The Headacher also suggested that how to make a .tlz package which can be installed

Code:
installpkg Name_of_the_package.tlz

And after eet is done you can move on to to the following which in this case would be evas. And repeat the procedure 1-3.

And please remember to do them in this order. Smiley Otherwise you won't be able to build E17 at all.  Cry

The dependencies for E17 are:

* m4
   * autoconf
   * automake (1.7 or higher)
   * libtool
   * pkg-config
   * texinfo
   * zlib
   * jpeg
   * freetype 2
   * xorg-x11 or xfree86
   * x11-libs

Please remember this:

"By default, the EFL libraries will install to /usr/local/. If you wish to install them to a different location, or would like to see what other options are available, then run ./configure --help after running ./autogen.sh. If you already have E16 installed, you will need to install E17/EFL to a different path to avoid conflicts. There is one exception though: E16.8 can co-exist with E17 in the same install path, as they use different binary names."

"Make sure you have the right paths configured in /etc/ld.so.conf. For example, if you install the EFL to /usr/local, you should also add that directory to /etc/ld.so.conf and run the command ldconfig (as root) to create the necessary links and cache for the most recent shared libraries found in the directories specified in the config file. Note that you'll need to run the ldconfig command (as root) after every library that you install to this custom directory."

*The information was taken from the Enlightenment homepage, get-e.org.
http://www1.get-e.org/E17_User_Guide/English/_pages/3.1.html

I strongly suggest you to read the whole guide just in case I have forgotten anything in this post.  Roll Eyes

I will also add some other useful information here which I didn't remember to write, my mistake.

If you want to get additional backgrounds, themes for E17 please visit http://www.get-e.org
It is a simple procedure, let's say that you have a downloaded the theme Milky's. The filename is "milky.edj". Please enter your directory to where you saved the file and do the following steps to get it to your E17 Themes.

Through a terminal write the following:
Code:
cp milky.edj $HOME/.e/e/themes

After that you can get the theme by clicking on the right mouse button on the desktop and choose Configuration -> Theme and go to Personal and pick your newly acquired theme and enjoy.  Roll Eyes

For backgrounds please do the same step as in the previous example as for themes but change the path to where to copy the background to:

So if you would download the background called Left Alone Houses from get-e.org, you do the following:
Code:
cp leftaloneHouses-0.1.edj $HOME/.e/e/backgrounds

And the background can be changed from Configuration -> Wallpaper -> Personal. Just the same procedure as with the theme.

For additional information about themes and backgrounds, please visit http://www.get-e.org

And please remember to use <TAB> for the correct filename in case I have a spelling mistake.  Roll Eyes

PS. I do not take any reponsibility off screwing up the system. I just followed the steps over at the E17 User Guide and got it working. Roll Eyes Please try it and give some feedback about this post, I'd appreciate it. Smiley

Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2007, 07:30:13 am by DrGrov » Logged

Stop complaining about everything, do something about it instead.
Freeman
Tester
Vectorite

Choice to the user!

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 05:25:50 am »

It does show up in WDM, but when chosen it says: Please do not start Enlightement from binary, but instead use: Enlightement_start, because this will set all your variables, paths, settings, ... > Chose run or exit.

I try now to edit my WDM file to correct this. Otherwise, great howto!

It's better to die 10 times, than never to have loved at all.
DrGrov
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2007, 07:10:25 am »

I will do the Code changes to the original post as suggested by The Headacher, I understand it is easier to read it then.  Roll Eyes

Well, I know how to do it for KDM, it was mentioned earlier on a different E17 post here on the forum.
The link for the post is : http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=1484.0
Unfortunately I don't know how to do it with WDM,  Cry
Please give comments to the post if you like it, I know then how to do it better in the future. Thanks! Roll Eyes

Freeman
Tester
Vectorite

Choice to the user!

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2007, 01:07:06 pm »

I did found that solution allready. But there's one problem... I can't see anything when it starts from KDM. First black sreen, afterwards white screen... and a mousepointer. That's it. Nothing to click at... Just white space. No working shortcuts, sounds, icons, ..

DrGrov
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2007, 03:37:27 pm »

Hi there!

I can only come up with one mightbe solution to the problem. After I compiled and built E17 in the specific order as mentioned in the first post, I did then do a thing as su:

Code:
ldconfig

That is an important step in order to refresh the libaries, that is probably the only solution I can tell you for the problem.
You tried to add the line which was in the post
Code:
http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=1484.0
which described how to add the corrent lines into /opt/kde/share/apps/kdm/sessions/enlightenment.desktop?
Change the Exec and TryExec to "enlightenment_start" instead of "enlightenment".
I must say that I don't know any other solution to this problem. I got it working as I described it.

It might be also that the Enlightenment CVS is going through changes at the moment, but when I was reading through the contents of the CVS at http://cia.navi.cx/stats/project/e I couldn't find any major changes to the core of E17. If you read through that website from the appropriate paths, in this case E17. It is known that the CVS changes on a daily basis if there is new source code being implemented to the applications and libaries of E17. That is also why I wrote that I do not take any responsibility of breaking a user's system. And try to read the info over at
Code:
http://www1.get-e.org/E17_User_Guide/English/_pages/3.1.html
just in any case if you have made a error somewhere along the line.

I hope you find answers to your problems.  Smiley

Freeman
Tester
Vectorite

Choice to the user!

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2007, 11:46:04 am »

Thanks for the help, but no problem. I just wanted to try E17 before the SOHO version will become available. I didn't do ldconfig after each compiled library. I just did it at the end off all compiling and installing. Maybe that could be the problem. And yes, I changed both lines to enlightenment_start. Well, maybe I try later on, when I do a fresh install off the newly available SOHO within a couple of weeks. But thanks again for the tips.

retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2007, 07:15:56 pm »

I had  played around with Enlightenment over a year ago. While it showed a lot of promise, it was far from even being close to prime time. How is it now? Is it a viable option to KDE yet?

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
DrGrov
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2007, 03:53:54 am »

Hi there!

I thought to post a short answer, nice that this thread is still being somewhat active.  Wink

I would definitely say that E17 is not far away from KDE but still there are things that needs to be done better in E17. I have noticed some problems with K apps in E17 but nothing bigger. Only one segfault during approximately one month of full-time using but still KDE is far better when it comes to stability than E.

But it is worth to try E17 but probably not right now since I was over on #e at freenode.net and I heard that there are changes being made to E but they are still not stable enough to be run without any problems. So my advice is to still wait a few months and follow the progress and maybe then try it out. The core of E is still the same, the changes that were done are some new libraries and apps as far as I could understand it.

But it is well worth to try and mainly "show-off" to friends what nice features it truly has.  Roll Eyes
IMHO, E17 is much better looking than KDE but the stability is not there yet but it will eventually come.

retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2007, 06:01:16 pm »

Oh I agree totally that the package has the potential to blow everything else completely out of the water. What little I was able to play with looked awesome. However, some huge disappointments at the time. A lot of it just plain didn't work the way it was advertised. Documentation was non-existent. It wasn't all that intuitive, but man, what I saw had me drooling and hoping for the best. I just may take the time to do another compile and see where things have gone since the last time.

retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2007, 07:24:17 pm »

Just ran into something interesting.... Got the following when doing a ./autogen.sh on edje...

checking for EDJE... configure: error: Package requirements (
  evas >= 0.9.9
  ecore-evas >= 0.9.9
  ecore-job >= 0.9.9
  eet >= 0.9.10
  embryo >= 0.9.1
) were not met:

No package 'ecore-evas' found
No package 'ecore-job' found

And yes, I had installed everything in order up to that point....

DrGrov
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2007, 07:28:11 am »

Hi!

I think the problem would be that getting the source from CVS is like getting the current version which is on CVS. There is no guarantee that the current version on CVS is a working one unfortunately.  Cry
I have heard of situations when the source retrieved from CVS is a corrupt one.  Cry

There might be updates being done and something missing from the libraries, that is the only solution I can come up with.
Try to get the whole source from CVS again and try to read through the Enlightenment E17 User Guide which I have posted the link for on this thread.

And as I previously mentioned when I started this thread, I do not take any responsibility of breaking a user's system. The instructions I have written are the ones I followed and got it working.

One other option is of course to retrieve the SlackE17 package over at linuxpackages.net in order to get a hopefully working E with all the included libraries and applications.

I hope you will get it working.  Wink

retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2007, 04:00:05 pm »

Oooooooooooo! I'll check the Slack repository.... Should be MUCH easier! Cheesy

DrGrov
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2007, 04:06:48 pm »

I would totally agree with you that it is easier to get it from the Slack repository. Smiley

You will find the needed information on a another thread here in the HowTo's. I can't remember the address at the moment, I'm at work "trying" do some actual work.  Roll Eyes Try to search for Enlightenment 17 or E17 here in the HowTo's.

One of the probably more negative things with the E17 Slackware package is that it might not have been updated for quite some time. I'm not 100% sure of course but if possible I would still suggest to get the source through CVS if you have time and energy to try to get it to work that way.

Actually I found the link to the HowTo for Enlightenment just right now...  Cheesy
http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=1484.0
« Last Edit: April 14, 2007, 04:08:30 pm by DrGrov » Logged

retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2007, 04:14:36 pm »

The CVS files provided in your earlier post is what I was working with. Apparently something isn't right at this point. No problem... I'll try the Slack version and if that doesn't fly, just do a reinstall. It's not as if this distro takes forever to load.

DrGrov
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2007, 04:18:54 pm »

Well, as I mentioned earlier getting the source from CVS is tricky sometimes as there are changes being made to the source and a new version is released every time there is change. There might be something missing in between, but usually it should work like a charm. But when I did get E17 from CVS I had a perfect install of it so my advise is to try and get it from CVS just in case. If you are interested in looking on how the development of E is going you can go to the channel #e over at Freenode on IRC to get some more information.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: