VectorLinux
December 22, 2014, 04:26:17 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15
  Print  
Author Topic: Package builder utility  (Read 79953 times)
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #165 on: June 28, 2007, 02:03:04 pm »

RC2 is now in the repos.

A few bugs have been squashed, a few things have also been added.

This is as of SVN Revision 75.

I commited vlpbuild.py to the repository, M0E.

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
blurymind
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #166 on: June 29, 2007, 08:50:34 am »

RC2 is now in the repos.

A few bugs have been squashed, a few things have also been added.

This is as of SVN Revision 75.
I get "failed to download" error in gslapt.

I downloaded it from your website. Very nice. =)
 very nice.I love the new features.

Feature request: Generate slackbuild file, move source package and slackbuild to a directory specified by the user (in settings) in a subfolder with the name of the package..

In settings window:
enable/disable (checkbox)- generate a slackbult

when enabled,options:
enable/disable (checkbox) - include slackbuilt in tlz package (it would be great if its default enabled and it puts the slackbuilts somewhere in a special slackbuilt directory for vector ,like zenwalk does)

enable/disable (checkbox) - when done,copy slackbuild and source package in a folder where the tlz package is moved, .(when user wants to upload them at the repo) Tongue
   OR
Specify directory for saving slackbuld+source of built packages

then the script would create a folder with the name of the build package and put inside the source package,the slackbuild and the compiled package... mkdir /$specifiedbyuserdir/$packagename/<the fileshere>
or /$dirwherethepackagehasbeensaved/$packagename/<fileshere>
----------------
or something like that. That would deffinatelly turn this into a killer app for slackware packaging. Tongue

--------------------------

[ looking too far at the idea of package management ]

Maybe just dreaming too far with this but... vpackager could have a module to download source packages and compile them into tlz packages...something like
http://pisibul.sourceforge.net/en.html

wouldnt that be sweet?  Grin Something like portage or pacman for vector,only that it will package the compiled source archves into packages,that can be uninstallable by gslapt. That would be interesting.

But still not sure,if there will be a vnetpackager ( i can already picture how its icon could look like) , where will it look for the source packages.It should have a package database somewhere...or use the avaiable slackbuilds at the repo...hmm

That would deffinatelly put Vector aside of the other slack based distros as different.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 09:38:04 am by blurymind » Logged

status: playing around with new tablet and learning to 3d :p
google page :  http://blurymind.googlepages.com
DA PAGE :  http://www.blurymind.deviantart.com/
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #167 on: June 29, 2007, 03:40:09 pm »

The slackbuild idea should be possible. I will try to implement that as the progress on this project continues.

The mini-portage system could get complicated.
Where is vpackager going to find the sources? This may call for a place on the www that contains tons of source archives so applications like vpackager can just grab them.

I agree, this would make this a killer app, but it would take a lot of work. (I'm not afraid of the work btw)

blurymind
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #168 on: June 30, 2007, 12:17:17 am »

vector already has directories at the ftp that contain a source archive+a slackbuild of applications. If vpackager becomes capable of handling slackbuilds,it should only take another module that will list the packages at the ftp and download them. I'm not sure what pisibul is using,but that idea would have to take manpower,because then vecteam will have to take care for a sources repo,and each time we build something,we will have to put its source+slackbuild there too. I'm not sure whether this is a good idea tho. A sources repo should need to have a database,containing the information that such a tool would need- a list with the avaiable packages in the directory with their folders.
It will need only a list of the subdirectories with their names,from there,if every subdirectory contains exactly a source package and a slackbuild,it is possible to automate it
(wget http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.8/source/testing/kde/kaffeine/*.tar.*z  and slackbuild)
 I agree it might get complicated. Such a tool to fetch sources should first have a tui version. (vlsfu?)
idk,this is just stretching the idea as much as possible.For a source fetching utility it will be good if to look at pisibul's source.
But even before deciding to do such a thing, we should think about what are the gains from it.Who would need it? Who will put newer versions of source packages f everything there?

Vpackager is stable and working great.It deserves to reach a stable state after this RC2. I havent encountered any errors yet.

My idea for future development,or how to take it to the next level is, first teach it to handle and generate slackbuilds, and maybe if it manages to do that well ,then think about something like source fetching utility to integrate in it.

Pardus is a distribution which i respect alot,because of the innovation those guys brought ( hellavabuggy,but very interesting). If vector has something like pisibul, it will definatelly get noticed more than the others.

status: playing around with new tablet and learning to 3d :p
google page :  http://blurymind.googlepages.com
DA PAGE :  http://www.blurymind.deviantart.com/
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #169 on: June 30, 2007, 12:24:50 am »

I humbly suggest we refrain from implementing the pisibul concept. The labor involved dwarfs the benefits.

M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #170 on: July 13, 2007, 12:04:50 pm »

1.0 RC3 is now in testing...

I've squashed a few minor bugs.. Not a lot of visible changes to the user. Just a couple:

Added code to be able to resize/maximize the vpackager Building window.
Added a "Hide build process" button that hides the window, and shows a smaller window with a progress bar.

I believe the slackbuild packaging would probably come along after 1.0
haven't had time to mess too much with the build script

SVN REV 107

wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #171 on: July 13, 2007, 07:59:08 pm »

Just tried rc3. Fantastic job, M0E-lnx. Thank you very much.

I got an error on my first compilation (krecipes).
The error was
/usr/sbin/vlpbulib: line 73: cd: /tmpkrecipes-1.0-beta1: No such file or directory

So I edited vlpbulib and turned line 72:
Code:
PKGDIR=${TMP}${APP}-${APP_VER}

into:
Code:
PKGDIR=${TMP}/${APP}-${APP_VER}
(with a forward slash after tmp)

I thought it was strange because TMP is defined earlier as "/tmp/".
What could be causing this?

After this minor correction, it worked like an absolute charm.
Thank you again.
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #172 on: July 15, 2007, 07:57:06 am »

Well, M0E-lnx, I set up vlpbuild.py so that it can communicate with vpackager using a socket, /tmp/vlpbuild-remote. I tested it with Gambas' socket programming example and it passed (I still need to tweak it a little), but good news: vlpbuild.py can now cooperate with the progress bar after a few changes.

M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #173 on: July 16, 2007, 04:36:07 am »

Just tried rc3. Fantastic job, M0E-lnx. Thank you very much.

I got an error on my first compilation (krecipes).
The error was
/usr/sbin/vlpbulib: line 73: cd: /tmpkrecipes-1.0-beta1: No such file or directory

So I edited vlpbulib and turned line 72:
Code:
PKGDIR=${TMP}${APP}-${APP_VER}

into:
Code:
PKGDIR=${TMP}/${APP}-${APP_VER}
(with a forward slash after tmp)

I thought it was strange because TMP is defined earlier as "/tmp/".
What could be causing this?

After this minor correction, it worked like an absolute charm.
Thank you again.

There may be a little miscommunication here between gambas and bash... Check your vpackager settings, and make sure your tmp dir has a "/" (like /tmp/). That's at least how it should be.

I removed all the "/" from the bash script, because gambas is supposed to parse it like "/tmp/" not "/tmp".

But thanks for pointing it out.

M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #174 on: July 16, 2007, 04:38:29 am »

Well, M0E-lnx, I set up vlpbuild.py so that it can communicate with vpackager using a socket, /tmp/vlpbuild-remote. I tested it with Gambas' socket programming example and it passed (I still need to tweak it a little), but good news: vlpbuild.py can now cooperate with the progress bar after a few changes.

You and I need to work together a little more... I'm liking this python thing, but I'm having a hard time make it work myself... I'll digg into the socket programming in a bit...

I just dont want this python backend to require a re-build of the entire thing..

Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #175 on: July 16, 2007, 05:57:29 am »

IIRC, socket programming requires Gambas 2. I thought you were using Gambas 1 now?

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #176 on: July 16, 2007, 05:58:49 am »

I am using gambas1.

That's prolly why I couldn't get it to work then... because although there is examples for Client/Server sockets in g1, this is a whole new concept to me... so I dunno..

Unless hanu can adjust his script to act almost like my bash script

Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #177 on: July 16, 2007, 06:05:25 am »

Those are for TCP/UDP network sockets.

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #178 on: July 17, 2007, 07:48:20 am »

I'd like to point out that for those of you testing, you can log into the vpackager page @ google code
http://code.google.com/p/vpackager/
and report bugs there. You'll need a google (gmail) account.

Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #179 on: July 18, 2007, 06:12:46 am »

IIRC, socket programming requires Gambas 2. I thought you were using Gambas 1 now?

Local Unix sockets are totally useful in Gambas 1. In fact, there is an example that comes with, and I shall submit my little vlpbuild.py manipulator to M0E-lnx to demonstrate how it functions.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15
  Print  

Jump to: