VectorLinux
August 01, 2014, 05:42:02 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  
Author Topic: 070410 - GNOME 2.18.0  (Read 29158 times)
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2007, 06:45:36 pm »

Quote from: Pita
BTW where can I edit the icons of gnome window desktop, like the one of xfce4 under ~/Desktop?

You will need to use the gconf-editor
You can just run it in a terminal if you want (as a regular user!) or select it from the programs menu.
Then navigate to apps > nautilus > desktop and modify the options as you see fit.

Ahhh....GConf is showing its ugly head already  Roll Eyes

Does not seem to do the trick no indicators to edit those icons. For example there is that icon labeled Trash. It does not show a trash can instead a piece of paper I guess with the upper left corner bent. It cannot be edited to change to a trash can when clicking properties.
frankbonatelli

Grampa time 1.237 (bun in the oven) Now thats life

« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2007, 11:30:51 am »

awesome work on the GNOME.
Installed with out any problems. One request would be for evolution mail to be included in the package. I have been trying for two days to compile from source but the gnome install seems to be missing libraries crucial to the install of Evolution mail. The server is there but the Evo front end is not and the mail xchg is not either.
Any thoughts and or pointers?Source files i am trying are

evolution-2.10.0 evolution-data-server-1.10.0 (part of the GNOME pkg) evolution-exchange-2.10.0 gtkhtml-3.14.0 libsoup-2.2.100 All found @ this site http://www.gnome.org/projects/evolution/
Distro version VL 5.8 Standard
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2007, 08:59:01 pm »

I think Dropline has their 2.18 GNOME partilly built and in testing, so I guess this is the first functional GNOME 2.18 to roll out that works for VL  Grin

I'm not sure about Freerock's vitality, their page has no indication of updates or a roadmap for that matter.

I was going to try Freerock once, but I looked at slapt-get's summary of prospective changes and noted that installation of Freerock would pee all over base system packages.

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2007, 03:03:07 am »

This GNOME build also requires a big system wide upgrade to many packages.
However, it looks like Slackware 11.1 has far more up-to-date base packages (like the 2.6 kernel and glibc compiled against 2.6 headers, very recent GLib2 and GTK packages), so the next GNOME build that rolls out for VL6.0 will probably require fewer upgrades and also be released much faster (in theory....)

Freeman
Tester
Vectorite

Choice to the user!

« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2007, 10:09:52 am »

I'm looking forward to it. The next GNOME build for VL6... One thing though, might it be possible to build if for SOHO instead of VL Standard? You would also need a more powerful system than the one needed for VL Standard. This way the log out problem might be fixed on the SOHO build.

It's better to die 10 times, than never to have loved at all.
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2007, 10:44:54 am »

This GNOME build also requires a big system wide upgrade to many packages.

Yes, but at least they actually come from the Vector repository. That's 'kvlt'.

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2007, 12:07:53 pm »

I'm looking forward to it. The next GNOME build for VL6... One thing though, might it be possible to build if for SOHO instead of VL Standard? You would also need a more powerful system than the one needed for VL Standard. This way the log out problem might be fixed on the SOHO build.

Since SOHO has other apps like OpenOffice and has lots of libraries that would "dirty" the GNOME build, I'm afraid it would be a waste of time.
The logout problem you are experiencing may be caused by bad configs that you can remove as suggested before.

The idea is to build something that will work for everyone, so building on Standard is really the way to go. Some poeple might like to install GNOME without necessarily needing SOHO.

EyesOnly

« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2007, 12:34:19 pm »

Hmm... interesting, I'm using VL5.8 SOHO Beta2 I believe it is (to lazy to look for my burn disk, sorry!) and I installed your Gnome onto this. Not experiencing any problems to date so far. Runs like a lucky charm. It will be interesting to install onto the 5.8 SOHO Final and see "what happens".

Still appreciating very much your hard work easuter. All these desktop choices are nice! But your Gnome is a work of art. Smiley

Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"

"We never know just how much a kind word, or a gesture, will lift the spirits of a friend, or person, in need and heal them." (jimmymac)
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2007, 02:49:39 am »

VL5.8 SOHO Beta2 I believe it is (to lazy to look for my burn disk, sorry!)
No need to look for the disk, you can just use
Code:
cat /etc/vector-version
  Wink

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
EyesOnly

« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2007, 06:46:45 am »

Thanks for that tip Headacher! Smiley

"We never know just how much a kind word, or a gesture, will lift the spirits of a friend, or person, in need and heal them." (jimmymac)
exeterdad
Vectorian

« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2007, 11:42:56 am »

It's working on VL 5.8 SOHO RC1 without any problems so far.  I've never been a fan of Gnome, but considering it's been about 5 years since I've used it, I thought I'd take a peek.  They've come a long ways.

Nice work with the packaging.  How much time do you think you have into that task?

I thought about building it for my LFS box, but soon "rethunk" that one when I saw all the dependencies.
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #56 on: June 04, 2007, 05:05:12 am »

@ easuter:

I just installed your gnome packager... Nice work dude

I have the problems with the avahi and avahidns.... not loading

I've traced the problem back to dbus, dbus is not running to be exact.
Here is what I get when I try to start dbus
Code:
Starting system message bus:  /usr/bin/dbus-daemon --system
Unknown group "stb-admin" in message bus configuration file
Failed to start message bus: The pid file "/var/run/dbus/dbus.pid" exists, if the message bus is not running, remove this file

Where is the dbus config file?

Another little annoyance: The keyboard layout for my vnc session to gnome is messed up for some reason. I can't type anything and changing the kbd layout doesn't help
« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 05:12:43 am by M0E-lnx » Logged

easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #57 on: June 04, 2007, 06:58:27 am »

I'd start by removing the /var/run/dbus directory entirely, and then doing:

Code:
slapt-get --install dbus --reinstall

The doinst.sh script in the dbus package is supposed to do everything to make the upgrade smooth (and it does go smoothly nearly 100% of the time), except for a few occasions like this one (I've experienced it too).

M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #58 on: June 04, 2007, 07:29:13 am »

Did that, yet nothing... however I did manage to start the dbus service, after that avahi and it's side-kick came along nicely...

however, I'm having a major problem with the keyboard on a vnc session.

I can't get it to act like a us-101 layout, although it is set that way
This is only in GNOME, it works fine in twm, xfce, and even lxde, but not in gnome.

easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #59 on: June 04, 2007, 07:40:57 am »

I can't get it to act like a us-101 layout, although it is set that way
This is only in GNOME, it works fine in twm, xfce, and even lxde, but not in gnome.

Hmm...that is weird. So does this only happen using a VNC session?
I think GNOME has its own keyboard management tool somewhere in the "System" menu drop-down.
I'm not at my workstation at the moment where I have all my GNOME stuff installed, so I can't tell you for sure.

You could also try looking at the GNOME registry settings ( Roll Eyes) by running gconf-editor and check to see if there is anything in there that is overriding your keyboard settings.

Lastly, Vino VNC is also installed along with GNOME, so that may be another possible cause for your problem.

Please let me know if any of these suggestions solves you problem, if not then I'll try to replicate your problems here (will take a little longer though).  Smiley

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  

Jump to: