VectorLinux
September 20, 2014, 09:43:48 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Attention Vector Community...you might find this interesting  (Read 12235 times)
Monty67

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2007, 05:44:06 pm »

@Helios

IMHO until Linux can be installed in any system without issue, all the marketing in the world won't help. Right now people are struggling to get across the board Wifi and Ati cards working. Keep in mind that most people don't even know which version of Win they are running. These people won't be able to obtain the correct "binaries" never mind install it. 

Like I said IMHO, 100% hardware support and preinstalls are key. Once there we can add the marketing.

Thanks for the great discussion.

Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government.
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2007, 06:39:45 pm »

Right now people are struggling to get across the board Wifi and Ati cards working.
I think Nvidia is the one giving most trouble lately, judging from the forum. Recent Ati drivers seem to just work, at least for me.

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2007, 06:58:06 pm »

Right now people are struggling to get across the board Wifi and Ati cards working. Keep in mind that most people don't even know which version of Win they are running. These people won't be able to obtain the correct "binaries" never mind install it. 

Like I said IMHO, 100% hardware support and preinstalls are key. Once there we can add the marketing.

Yes, but we are in a circle now. Without more users, hardware manufacturers will not releases drivers and linux support; and without drivers and support the linux users will not increase Huh.

Looks like we need to find another way.

If you ask me, at least in my country, only having some nice girls in the internet with access restricted to linux users will do the work. But once again we are in a circle: Why we will want to that kind of guy using linux? Grin

PS: If you make that website a will go to look (if my girl is sleeping, of course) Grin Grin

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Monty67

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2007, 12:44:08 pm »

While reading this:

http://www.howtoforge.com/network_monitoring_with_ntop

I found this in the NEWS category to the right of the article:

http://penguinpetes.com/b2evo/index.php?title=tux500_news_history&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Draw your own conclusions.

Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government.
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2007, 03:31:19 am »

Very interesting.

Devnet responds:
http://linux-blog.org/index.php?/archives/2007/04.html

devnet normally doesn't respond to such things like this, so this has my concerns raised. And of course from my experiences with the last distro,(devnet seems to be highly related to), bashing seems to be a thing of commons there.

Guess we'll have to watch the show  Roll Eyes

Edited by JohnB316 to change the link to devnet's posting.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 09:02:38 am by JohnB316 » Logged
Toe

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2007, 02:33:24 pm »

Caught the pics up on C|Net:

http://news.com.com/2300-11389_3-6186004.html?tag=st.gall
metvas
Vectorite

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2007, 07:37:40 pm »

Hello All:
Vector Linux did make a modest donation to this effort. It is important to support objectives although not our own, but for the greater cause.
regards
Darrell

Knowledge is Power, share it.
Be the change you want to see in the World
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2007, 08:27:16 pm »

Well, I don't think the race went as we might have hoped  Grin , but it was worth the pennies. I'd like to take just a minute to congratulate Helios. Yes that's right, Helios raised 20K (I can't recall the exact amount right off, but estimation won't hurt nothing). Even though FUD was dropped in, controversy started, and fists were seemingly about to fly... Helios stuck to his honesty, and raised what he could through all of that. Helios has always been a good friend to me over several years, and when I saw his post about raising money for a tux500, I knew for sure that the money raised was going to get there.

So, now in the end, I am pleased that the actual proof is now available for everyone to see. Helios, needs to pat himself on the back, not just for yet another great donation raising effort into what he believes in, but for sticking it out as , for the first time ever, FUD and controversy were implanted.

I know without that crap getting in the way, there most likely would have been a lot more donations, but there wasn't, and yet what donations that did come in, was quite impressive. So to all those that were opposed to it,, I'd say now is the time to draw your tails back between your legs, and sit back down until you're asked to get up  Wink  In the future it will be quite difficult to attempt to sabotage fund raising lead by our good friend Helios, based on the proof at hand.

metvas
Vectorite

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2007, 09:01:33 pm »

The VL community rallied in the effort. For that we are ALL doners to the project. Everyone donated when VL donated. I hope his dreams continue to become reality, and wish them as it is more than one person supporting this effort the best.
Regards
Darrell

Knowledge is Power, share it.
Be the change you want to see in the World
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: