VectorLinux
October 21, 2014, 10:18:16 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Quick Keyboard Layout Change  (Read 5190 times)
mymarkers

« on: April 12, 2007, 05:59:16 pm »

I need to change my keyboard layout between Swedish and English quite frequently. Is there a quicker way to do this than running VASM, and configuring X-Keyboard? If nothing else, I could just write a script to change the .conf file in /etc/X11 right? I'd be glad to take the excuse to learn to write custom scripts, but if there's already a quicker way, it would be appreciated.
JohnB316
Administrator
Vectorian

Registered Linux User #386728

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 09:11:55 am »

Are you using KDE as your desktop environment? If so, there is a control center applet called kkbswitch that will allow you to switch keyboard layouts quickly. You still have to edit your xorg.conf file so that it has both English and Swedish keyboard layouts. However, kkbswitch will save you the time of going through VASM, etc., to change layouts.

Another option is to use xkeysw, though I am not familiar with it at all - just found it through a Google Linux search.

HTH,
John

VL 6.0 SOHO latest alpha on one box, VL 5.9 Lite on the other.
salmonix
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 07:16:37 am »

In the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file check:

Section "InputDevice"

#       Option      "XkbRules"  "xorg"
    Identifier     "Keyboard0"
    Driver         "kbd"
    Option         "XkbModel" "pc105"
    Option         "XkbLayout" "sw,en" (<OR WHAT WOU WANT)
    Option         "Core"
    Option         "XkbOptions" "grp:caps_toggle"
EndSection

This toggles with caps_lock between two layouts.

Check:
man xorg.conf and the Input Devide section there. That works everywhere.

VL 5.1.SOHO xFce
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 12:39:12 pm »

If you're L 5.8 Standard then Xfce 4.4.0 also has a keyboard switching applet that works very well indeed.  I use it to switch between English and Israeli (Hebrew) keyboard layouts all the time. 

-Cait

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: