VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: ATI driver 8.36.5 released. Kernel 2.6.20 finally supported.  (Read 6772 times)

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
ATI driver 8.36.5 released. Kernel 2.6.20 finally supported.
« on: April 19, 2007, 06:40:17 am »

Just tested this driver. It installed and performed well with a Radeon 9500 Pro.

easuter

• Global Moderator
  • Vectorian
Re: ATI driver 8.36.5 released. Kernel 2.6.20 finally supported.
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 09:08:47 am »

Thanks nightflier, thats good news!

Its about time ATI got around to supporting 2.6.20

soren

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 10:03:37 am »

Hi guys,

I have a ati radeon 9800 pro, and VL 5.8 SOHO RC3. This is the first time I try an ati card with linux, so I'm not sure what to expect.

Here's what I did:

-I downloaded ati-driver-installer-8.36.5-x86.x86_64.run from the website, and ran it as root.
-I ran aticonfig --initial, to create a new /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
-I restarted X, and tried glxgears, just to see if there was any sign of improved performance. 150 fps? Not quite what I expected...

Code: [Select]
soren:$ glxinfo
name of display: :0.0
display: :0  screen: 0
direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.2
server glx extensions:
    GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating,
    GLX_EXT_import_context, GLX_OML_swap_method, GLX_SGI_make_current_read,
    GLX_SGIS_multisample, GLX_SGIX_hyperpipe, GLX_SGIX_swap_barrier,
    GLX_SGIX_fbconfig
client glx vendor string: ATI
client glx version string: 1.3
client glx extensions:
    GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_EXT_import_context,
    GLX_ARB_get_proc_address, GLX_SGI_video_sync, GLX_ARB_multisample,
    GLX_ATI_pixel_format_float, GLX_ATI_render_texture
GLX extensions:
    GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_EXT_import_context,
    GLX_ARB_multisample
OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: RADEON 9800 PRO
OpenGL version string: 2.0.6458 (8.36.5)

I can't for the life of me figure out what I did wrong... Any hints?

rbistolfi

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2007, 12:58:21 pm »

-I downloaded ati-driver-installer-8.36.5-x86.x86_64.run from the website, and ran it as root.

You downloaded the 64 bit version instead the 32 bits one, the name of the file should be ati-driver-installer-8.36.5-x86.x86_32.run
Remember Vector is a 32bit system, and you need a 32bit driver even if yo have a 64bit cpu.

cheers, Rodrigo
"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!

GrannyGeek

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2007, 09:10:03 pm »

No, that is the correct driver file. It's the current one posted on ATI's site. I assume it detects whether you're installing on a 32-bit or 64-bit system when it sets itself up.

I'm using the same driver on my 32-bit VL 5.8 Standard and I get over 1000 fps with it. I'm not a gamer, however, so I don't know how well it works in practice.
--GrannyGeek
Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller

GrannyGeek

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2007, 09:15:39 pm »

-I restarted X, and tried glxgears, just to see if there was any sign of improved performance. 150 fps? Not quite what I expected...

Are you running glxgears in a window or full screen? I'm using the proprietary ATI driver on a system with a Radeon Xpress 200 and I get over 1000 fps when glxgears runs in a window. Full screen, I get 100-something.

Let glxgears run for a while. Mine starts out with fewer fps and speeds up after several seconds and then maintains the speed.

Beyond that, I have no advice as I know very little about this. Also, I'm not a gamer and don't need DRI, so I'd be fine with the Xorg ati driver. I installed the proprietary driver just out of curiosity.
--GrannyGeek

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2007, 04:43:15 am »

Did you try a 3D app, like ppracer or Google Earth?

After installing this driver, I did not get any improvement in glxgears, but performance greatly improved when running these programs.

rbistolfi

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2007, 08:07:35 am »

Are you running glxgears in a window or full screen? I'm using the proprietary ATI driver on a system with a Radeon Xpress 200 and I get over 1000 fps when glxgears runs in a window. Full screen, I get 100-something.

Let glxgears run for a while. Mine starts out with fewer fps and speeds up after several seconds and then maintains the speed.

Beyond that, I have no advice as I know very little about this. Also, I'm not a gamer and don't need DRI, so I'd be fine with the Xorg ati driver. I installed the proprietary driver just out of curiosity.
--GrannyGeek

Oops! Sorry, nvidia users like me should stay away from this kind of topics  :-[
"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!

soren

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2007, 03:29:01 pm »

Like GG I mostly installed the driver out of curiosity, and I hadn't tried any 3D games. I just slapt-got ppracer, and you were right, nightflier! It runs smoothly, and looks very nice. Definitely not software rendering...

I guess glxgears isn't ati-friendly, or perhaps it needs a recompile.

Thank you all for your feedback!

Joe1962

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
    • Joe1962's Website
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2007, 05:09:58 pm »

The ATI drivers come with their own fglrxgears.
O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10

GrannyGeek

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2007, 09:56:36 pm »

The ATI drivers come with their own fglrxgears.

I saw that, but I was afraid to try it.<g> I'll give it a spin tomorrow.
--GrannyGeek