VectorLinux
August 20, 2014, 08:19:14 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ATI driver 8.36.5 released. Kernel 2.6.20 finally supported.  (Read 6072 times)
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« on: April 19, 2007, 05:40:17 am »

Just tested this driver. It installed and performed well with a Radeon 9500 Pro.
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 08:08:47 am »

Thanks nightflier, thats good news!

Its about time ATI got around to supporting 2.6.20

soren

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 09:03:37 am »

Hi guys,

I have a ati radeon 9800 pro, and VL 5.8 SOHO RC3. This is the first time I try an ati card with linux, so I'm not sure what to expect.

Here's what I did:

-I downloaded ati-driver-installer-8.36.5-x86.x86_64.run from the website, and ran it as root.
-I ran aticonfig --initial, to create a new /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
-I restarted X, and tried glxgears, just to see if there was any sign of improved performance. 150 fps? Not quite what I expected...

Code:
soren:$ glxinfo
name of display: :0.0
display: :0  screen: 0
direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.2
server glx extensions:
    GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating,
    GLX_EXT_import_context, GLX_OML_swap_method, GLX_SGI_make_current_read,
    GLX_SGIS_multisample, GLX_SGIX_hyperpipe, GLX_SGIX_swap_barrier,
    GLX_SGIX_fbconfig
client glx vendor string: ATI
client glx version string: 1.3
client glx extensions:
    GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_EXT_import_context,
    GLX_ARB_get_proc_address, GLX_SGI_video_sync, GLX_ARB_multisample,
    GLX_ATI_pixel_format_float, GLX_ATI_render_texture
GLX extensions:
    GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_EXT_import_context,
    GLX_ARB_multisample
OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: RADEON 9800 PRO
OpenGL version string: 2.0.6458 (8.36.5)

I can't for the life of me figure out what I did wrong... Any hints?
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2007, 11:58:21 am »

-I downloaded ati-driver-installer-8.36.5-x86.x86_64.run from the website, and ran it as root.

You downloaded the 64 bit version instead the 32 bits one, the name of the file should be ati-driver-installer-8.36.5-x86.x86_32.run
Remember Vector is a 32bit system, and you need a 32bit driver even if yo have a 64bit cpu.

cheers, Rodrigo

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2007, 08:10:03 pm »

No, that is the correct driver file. It's the current one posted on ATI's site. I assume it detects whether you're installing on a 32-bit or 64-bit system when it sets itself up.

I'm using the same driver on my 32-bit VL 5.8 Standard and I get over 1000 fps with it. I'm not a gamer, however, so I don't know how well it works in practice.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2007, 08:15:39 pm »

-I restarted X, and tried glxgears, just to see if there was any sign of improved performance. 150 fps? Not quite what I expected...

Are you running glxgears in a window or full screen? I'm using the proprietary ATI driver on a system with a Radeon Xpress 200 and I get over 1000 fps when glxgears runs in a window. Full screen, I get 100-something.

Let glxgears run for a while. Mine starts out with fewer fps and speeds up after several seconds and then maintains the speed.

Beyond that, I have no advice as I know very little about this. Also, I'm not a gamer and don't need DRI, so I'd be fine with the Xorg ati driver. I installed the proprietary driver just out of curiosity.
--GrannyGeek

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2007, 03:43:15 am »

Did you try a 3D app, like ppracer or Google Earth?

After installing this driver, I did not get any improvement in glxgears, but performance greatly improved when running these programs.
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2007, 07:07:35 am »

Are you running glxgears in a window or full screen? I'm using the proprietary ATI driver on a system with a Radeon Xpress 200 and I get over 1000 fps when glxgears runs in a window. Full screen, I get 100-something.

Let glxgears run for a while. Mine starts out with fewer fps and speeds up after several seconds and then maintains the speed.

Beyond that, I have no advice as I know very little about this. Also, I'm not a gamer and don't need DRI, so I'd be fine with the Xorg ati driver. I installed the proprietary driver just out of curiosity.
--GrannyGeek

Oops! Sorry, nvidia users like me should stay away from this kind of topics  Embarrassed

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
soren

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2007, 02:29:01 pm »

Like GG I mostly installed the driver out of curiosity, and I hadn't tried any 3D games. I just slapt-got ppracer, and you were right, nightflier! It runs smoothly, and looks very nice. Definitely not software rendering...

I guess glxgears isn't ati-friendly, or perhaps it needs a recompile.

Thank you all for your feedback!
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2007, 04:09:58 pm »

The ATI drivers come with their own fglrxgears.

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2007, 08:56:36 pm »

The ATI drivers come with their own fglrxgears.

I saw that, but I was afraid to try it.<g> I'll give it a spin tomorrow.
--GrannyGeek

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: