VectorLinux
April 24, 2014, 06:36:28 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Initializing hardware -- Setting up modules failed???  (Read 5122 times)
adrien8267

« on: April 22, 2007, 08:25:50 am »

Hi friends,

I'm a new french Vectorlinux user. I use Vectorlinux SOHO 5.1.1 and I have this problem after I've compiled a kernel 2.6.xx from kernel.org. So, when I boot my laptop, I obtain this message:
  Initiliazing hardware
  Setting up modules                    [FAILED]
  So I upgraded module-init-tools (modprobe --version -> module-init-tools version 3.2),  but it isn't resolved. I have wireless card which operates but I also want to use EMC2 with a realtime system. I patched my kernel 2.6.xx with rtai-3.3. It's failed!
  When I try /etc/rc.d/rc.modules in a shell, I can see:

Code:
Module dependencies up to date (no new kernel modules found).
  FATAL: Module snd_pcm_oss not found.
  FATAL: Module snd_seq_oss not found.
  FATAL: Module snd_mixer_oss not found.
  FATAL: Module sg not found.
  FATAL: Module intel_agp not found.
  Well, I need help, please!
  Thanks!

The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 08:38:29 am »

You probably compiled some stuff into the kernel that was built as a kernel module first? If that is so there is no real problem, as the drivers are loaded anyways (just not as modules).

You could edit /etc/rc.d/rc.modules and comment out (put a '#' in front of) the line that loads the modules that fail.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
adrien8267

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2007, 10:01:14 am »

Hey The Headatcher,

Thanks very much for your replie! Yeah, you resolved my problem. So I put a # in front of each module which failed and I compiled my kernel (a 2.6.12 with adeos patch from rtai-3.3) with Loadable module support -> Module unloading &  Forced module unloading options.
  So I will try EMC2 later!
  Thanks again! Enjoy Vectorlinux!

Diabolic Preacher
Vectorite

Freedomaniac

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2007, 01:56:18 am »

what is the difference between /etc/rc.d/rc.modules and /etc/modules.conf?

are the 2 similar and synchronized?

i also get the Setting up modules [Failed] line but don't know where to look for the error.

How does one see these [ok] [ok] [failed] [failed] messages after you boot into the system? I ask this because if i enable splash=silent in grub and then the messages that appear below the boot splash screen overlap each other and all i see is splashes of white color with occassional alternate colored OK and FAILED.

i use VL 5.8 SOHO RC2 and well it's gone thru quite some changes n updates n corrections...so the possibility of locating the cause of this mad display anywhere is not null.

Diabolic Preacher
As Is
http://pintooo15.livejournal.com
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2007, 03:30:56 am »

For the boot messages you can use in the command line:

Dmesg | more

For other errors they will be in  /var/log

HTH

Bigpaws
Diabolic Preacher
Vectorite

Freedomaniac

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2007, 09:11:37 am »

well i tried grepping for 'failed' (without quotes and case-insensitive) but didn't find anything like what i found at boot time.

/var/log/what?

Diabolic Preacher
As Is
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2007, 09:16:23 am »

well i tried grepping for 'failed' (without quotes and case-insensitive) but didn't find anything like what i found at boot time.

/var/log/what?

Do this:
Code:
less /var/log/messages
. You can slowly page through all the kernel messages to see if you can locate the problem. Then do this:
Code:
dmesg | less
and see if you can find anything there in the kernel boot messages. Report back with any findings.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
Diabolic Preacher
Vectorite

Freedomaniac

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2007, 02:19:38 pm »

i fixed it! i fixed it! yaayyy! Cheesy

what' with reading all those dmesg and /var/log/messages. those make me feel sleepy....such long lines

anyways...for the benefit of the community...

1. all the "Setting up <servicename or stuff like that>      [OK(or FAILED)] lines get piled up in a file called boot.log inside /var/log . i think this was one of my questions. dmesg has no information of this sort. now you might be thinkin "you know all then why ask?" i didn't know about such a file...except i used my windows knowledge of the presence of BOOTLOG.TXT .
2. now if setting up modules has failed it's easier to check files that deal with modules auto-loading viz. /etc/modules.conf (which as per my friend is the debian norm and also exists on my system...for compatilbilty reasons??) and /etc/rc.d/rc.modules (i forgot this filename and i was checkin al thru rc.d   huge directory Sad
2a. i don't really understand what are the alias lines doing in /etc/modules.conf they are for my broadcom drivers..ndiswrapper n stuff...ok let's not get carried away...

3. so finally got the culprit entries in rc.modules....which were present thanks to my semi-failed attempt to install true-crypt . if you see it being used o windows...you'd wish every one should have one...but linux....mount volumes use disk-level encryption ... use urandom...dm-crypt (this has like 2-3 similar sounding projects with different pages almost like linkin to each other when u click the 'download' link (not a bad idea for server load balancin...whaddya say? Cheesy) ....just hide my darn files!!! (no not the '.') Tongue

so one problem's solved...now to get the boot splash screen showin the text clearly...each new line overlaps over the previous line and all i see then is...whitewash Smiley

Diabolic Preacher
As Is
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: