VectorLinux
December 18, 2014, 02:06:51 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: VL Tagline: Choice of a...? (Have your say!)  (Read 22202 times)
Freeman
Tester
Vectorite

Choice to the user!

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2007, 09:55:14 am »

Vectorlinux.. Linux with a touch!
Vectorlinux... Did you think it could go any faster?!
Vectorlinux blinding speed!
Vectorlinux... Power at your feet!
Vectorlinux... Where will you be?
Vectorlinux... If speed is a necessity and stability a most have!
If it all comes down to one thing... Vectorlinux ...'Cause the choice is yours!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 10:00:24 am by Freeman » Logged

It's better to die 10 times, than never to have loved at all.
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2007, 10:41:03 am »

"Power up the warp drives!"

Captain, I can't hold it any longer!
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2007, 11:32:18 am »

What about "pointing the way" or something like that (I am thinking in spanish: "mostrando el camino", could exist a better translation  Wink.
It matchs with the math sense (oviously a vector "points"), and if you are not a math guy has the "leader" sense, since VL is the leader and is pointing the way to all other linux distros  Grin.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 11:34:09 am by rbistolfi » Logged

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
M-ake

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2007, 12:01:27 pm »

I thought about something like this

Vectorlinux..when light is not fast enough.

Something like that.

Jumalauta!!
--
Fish go m00!
shahgols
Vectorite

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2007, 02:21:19 pm »

I would like to see VL break the image of "being good for old hardware", since a lot of people just think of us as only good for that.

If the tagline touches on speed and stability, I think that would sum up VL very nicely. 

My input:  Vector Linux:  The fast and stable (distribution?)
LLL
Global Moderator
Vectorite

The sun is shining...

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2007, 03:41:51 pm »

Another option:

VECTORLINUX:
Just works. Fast.

Conveys speed and stability - both great aspects of VL.

First impression of "seatbelts" was great, but then concern came over the 'you need a safety net to use Linux' fears.

Maybe if it's accompanied by the speed reference:

VECTORLINUX: FAST
Seatbelts required.

Lost & Lovin' Linux...living on:
VectorLinux 6.0 with XFCE on Thinkpad T43p (2.13 GHz | 2GB | 60GB)
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2007, 04:03:07 pm »

What about "pointing the way" or something like that (I am thinking in spanish: "mostrando el camino", could exist a better translation  Wink.

"Pointing the way" is fine, but "revealing the path" or even "illuminating the path" sound like loose translations of the Spanish you gave.

"Vector: the Path to En1337enment!"

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2007, 05:09:45 pm »

First impression of "seatbelts" was great, but then concern came over the 'you need a safety net to use Linux' fears.

Maybe if it's accompanied by the speed reference:

VECTORLINUX: FAST
Seatbelts required.

Very good point.
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2007, 05:15:05 pm »

Remark re current font and tagline quality: The reddish print is out of focus (fuzzy) and lacks solidity. Doesnt really convey solidity, stability. Maybe: solid white letters, slanted perhaps. Slanted letters give impression of motion (speed).

VectorLinux
                         ...speed, performance, stability

1. speed: we got your optimized fast linux right here

2. performance: here "performance" is a fancy word for "just works", "out of the box"

def. the fulfillment of a claim, promise, or request; implementation
http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/performance
def. the execution or accomplishment of work, acts, feats, etc.
def. the manner in which or the efficiency with which something fulfills its intended purpose.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/performance

3. stability: based on Slackware, rock-solid reliability

Speed, Performance, and Stability are the three qualities most important to VectorLinux, probably in that order. And VectorLinux excels in these three qualities: It's fastest, it does everything out of the box well, and it's stable, unbreakable. Visitor is implicitly invited to try it and see for himself/herself.

Generally, VectorLinux has enjoyed friendly reviews written by partisans like Don Parris and Caitlyn Martin. The day may come when the reviewer is more impartial or even skeptical towards this distro. You can count on such a reviewer to comment the slogan in his screed. The tagline "speed, performance, stability" would challenge a reviewer to evaluate VL by these three criteria, in which case VL cant lose, cuz VL is superlative in all three.

Are there other characteristics which define VectorLinux like those three? ...characteristics that make VL stand out in the crowded field of Linux distributions?

(IMHO "speed, performance, stability" looks better in lower case, not caps.)

« Last Edit: May 16, 2007, 07:20:19 am by nubcnubdo » Logged
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2007, 08:26:31 pm »

I would like to see VL break the image of "being good for old hardware", since a lot of people just think of us as only good for that.

I was going to say the same thing. VectorLinux is GREAT for current hardware. It provides a fast, solid foundation on which a user can build whatever kind of system he or she wants.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2007, 04:21:06 am »

Re: ......GENTLEMEN START YOUR ENGINES

Holy Mixed Metaphors, are we in a race?
Grammatical: comma needed after Gentlemen
Gender: Are you gonna be a gentleman about this, GrannyGeek?

http://www.calvin.edu/academic/engl/lang/mixmet.htm

http://therussler.tripod.com/dtps/mixed_metaphors.html

« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 06:29:08 am by nubcnubdo » Logged
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2007, 07:11:04 pm »

Re: ......GENTLEMEN START YOUR ENGINES

Holy Mixed Metaphors, are we in a race?
Grammatical: comma needed after Gentlemen
Gender: Are you gonna be a gentleman about this, GrannyGeek?

I figured I'd save my thunder until I saw whether it made the cut.<g>

I don't know what percentage of Linux users are female. Whatever it is, we do need more. We won't get them if there's too much testosterone apparent in our public face.

GrampaGeek and I are not fans of auto racing. It's smelly, loud, wastes a lot of gas, and pollutes the air, and we find it boring besides. I would not be favorably impressed by a racing metaphor on the VL home page. That said, there are plenty of women who like auto racing. But they're not "gentlemen," and neither are all drivers.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2007, 07:42:08 pm »

I don't know what percentage of Linux users are female. Whatever it is, we do need more. We won't get them if there's too much testosterone apparent in our public face.

Perhaps we need more acne cream.

vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2007, 07:52:18 pm »

OK i changed it back to "when choice matters" for the moment. The racing metaphor I thought was good till I was reminded of the times we live in................ Sad . For now im more interested in the look. The solid light yellow text look ok with the fancy "VECTORLINUX" graphic? Keep the tag lines coming maybe we can choose a top five then a poll?
cheers,
Vec
thought of another "Houston we have ignition......."

Think in terms of a memorable slogan like you were an ad executive putting vector out for the first  time on a national television campaign.............like "fresh fast and for you"
This should be fun................ Grin
« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 08:15:41 pm by vector » Logged
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2007, 08:08:26 pm »

OK i changed it back to "when choice matters" for the moment. The racing metaphor I thought was good till I was reminded of the times we live in................ Sad

We could play up the fact that Vector doesn't drag you into the upgrade treadmill, and is therefore environmentally responsible both in terms of material and energy consumption.

"Vector Linux: Staving off the entropic heat death of the Universe one install at a time."

Not slogan-y enough I guess...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to: