VectorLinux
July 28, 2014, 08:23:10 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
  Print  
Author Topic: VL Tagline: Choice of a...? (Have your say!)  (Read 20370 times)
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2007, 08:50:03 pm »

I am beating a dead horse, I know. "Gentlemen Start Your Engines" is understandable to insiders, but what would a visitor think it means, a visitor who knows little or nothing about VL? It doesnt say much about VectorLinux. A visitor comes to the VL site to learn something about the OS, and he sees this tagline--well, he might be puzzled at what we're trying to say. We should be saying something meaningful to the visitor, the newcomer who actually reads the homepage. Before this logo-tagline thing began, when was the last time you read the homepage? As a Vectorite I go straight to the forum.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 09:00:18 pm by nubcnubdo » Logged
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2007, 10:57:05 pm »

VectorLinux....is one box really enough?
VectorLinux....working so you don't have to.
VectorLinux....realize your potential.
VectorLinux....experience the potential.
VectorLinux....for kids of all ages.
VectorLinux....THEE choice for your computer.

but my favorite so far is

VectorLinux....Staving off the entropic heat death of the Universe one install at a time. (thx hanu Grin )
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2007, 06:09:23 am »

"When Choice Matters"

What does this mean? It's ambiguous, it could mean several things, and I wonder if something in particular is intended.

1. The choice: Windows vs Linux
2. The choice: Vector vs other Linux
3. Calls attention to the difference between VL and ZW. VL has several apps for each function; ZW offers a single app per function. So VL offers a choice of apps while ZW does not give user a choice.
4. ?

What else does this phrase mean?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 06:12:07 am by nubcnubdo » Logged
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2007, 07:55:18 am »

First of all I think that whatever slogan we choose has to then be consistent across all our editions, because at the moment it is somewhat confusing because in various places we use:

1) At the Speed of Light
2) The Little Distro that Grows on You
3) When Choice Matters

I don't like either of the last two because #2 is not exactly correct for SOHO and as the PP says #3 is inocuous and doesn't say much. #1 better fits our distro.

Let us think about our strengths as a distro:

1) very fast, fast install, stable, unbloated
2) works well on older computers, keeps old machines out of the landfills
3) friendly, small, helpful online community
4) 3 editions to choose from (Standard, SOHO, Live)

Obviously, other distros can claim some of these features, but whatever slogan we choose should at least consider these strengths.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2007, 08:01:13 am »

Well, I like "experience the potential" from newtor
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 01:00:17 pm by hanumizzle » Logged

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2007, 11:50:16 am »

Since humans cant physically see the motion of light, maybe "lightning fast" would bring that imagery down to earth. "Fast as lightning" is a recognizable hyperbole, whereas "at the speed of light" is a bit overboard (pretentious) in describing how fast an OS boots up and operates. On the other hand, "at the speed of light" sparks the imagination, probably has value historically. I wouldnt want to remove it, just not propagate it further.

I was genuinely curious about  the meaning of "When Choice Matters". It has gravitas that makes me think it means something special. If it's just a catch phrase that is required, I could accept "When Choice Matters". It's innocuous, it's not silly.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 05:15:46 pm by nubcnubdo » Logged
mymarkers

« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2007, 12:47:13 pm »

I suggest that we are over-analyzing this. As long as the slogan isn't absolutely offensive or atrocious, it wouldn't influence my decision to use a distribution. My favorite aspect of Vector Linux is that it's more than a slogan. Other distributions and operating systems seem to be more about catch-phrases than developing an effective operating system. They rely primarily on empty rhetoric to distract from the actual merits of their systems.

On the other hand, the introduction of the Vector homepage concisely describes Vector's goals and strengths. My experience with Vector Linux confirms the accuracy of the description. Deeper investigation reveals comprehensive descriptions of exactly what Vector Linux provides. This really helps the decision to try a different operating system.

That said, I realize the value of marketing an operating system. Marketing is sadly a stronger force in putting operating systems on computers than the quality of the system. I don't really think it is possible to cram a full description into a little phrase. The goal of a tag line isn't descriptive anyway; it's an attention grabber. While newspaper headlines describe the article, their primary purpose is to entice the reader to read the article. In the case of Vector Linux, the goal is for visitors to read the introduction. Considering that they were already curious enough to visit the homepage, I suspect they'd read it anyway. So provided the tag line isn't absolutely abhorrent, I doubt it will have a huge impact on Vector's success.

(Yes, I am fully aware of the irony of writing this much to explain that I think we're over-analyzing it).
blurymind
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2007, 01:12:27 pm »

vector linux- fastest non source distro on earth

status: playing around with new tablet and learning to 3d :p
google page :  http://blurymind.googlepages.com
DA PAGE :  http://www.blurymind.deviantart.com/
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2007, 01:26:58 pm »

Stability at Terminal Velocity...  VectorLinux
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2007, 02:39:49 pm »

All the post here are goods, but I think mymarkers has a point, may be we should close our options, pick up a few taglines and try to improve them, and offer the results to who makes the choice, we could stay posting forever...

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2007, 02:40:22 pm »

I like the "VectorLinux...built for speed" one.

I came to vectorlinux looking for the fastest (non-source) distro, and although it can be just publicity, it would have given me more info about what vectorlinux was about Smiley
The "built" word for me has the nuance of being solid (built on solid rock slackware......) and being previously manipulated by someone (devs), so LFS or gentoo could not tell about themselves that, and thus it's not so difficult to use.

Of course that's my impression after using VL for some time.  I don't know if people interested in VL but no knowledge of its internals will get that feeling from the "built for speed" tagline

Just my 2cents

saulgoode
Vectorite

« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2007, 04:52:41 pm »

"Go Right To Ludicrous Speed"

"Your computer should do more than just work"

Off-topic, there was once a Microsoft campaign in Japan which had the slogan, "If you don't know where you're going, we can help get you there." I've always thought that was cute.

Actually, I think just dropping the "when" and saying "Choice Matters" would be fine.

A complex system that works is invariably found to have evolved from a simple system that works.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2007, 07:03:03 pm »

I was genuinely curious about  the meaning of "When Choice Matters". It has gravitas that makes me think it means something special. If it's just a catch phrase that is required, I could accept "When Choice Matters". It's innocuous, it's not silly.

I don't think there is some deep meaning in it, but it does suggest a lot of what I like about VectorLinux. First, I don't have to use the same operating system as over 90% of computer users. I have a choice--and am taking advantage of it. Linux itself is all about choice. GUI or not--it's your choice. Desktop environment/window manager--take your pick. No matter whether your thing is eye candy or minimalism, you can have it in Linux. Because VL is so easily configurable, you're not limited to the distro's default. As for applications, Linux offers a wide choice. You can make your system what *YOU* want it to be, not what some corporation thinks it should be.

Because VectorLinux can accommodate a wide range of hardware, whether and when to upgrade your hardware are your choice, not something you *must* do in order to run a current operating system.

But don't look for too much profundity in a slogan. Smiley
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2007, 09:27:12 pm »

Granny............amen..............thank you . You took the words right out of my mouth

vec
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2007, 06:04:49 am »

Generally, VectorLinux has enjoyed friendly reviews written by partisans like Don Parris and Caitlyn Martin. The day may come when the reviewer is more impartial or even skeptical towards this distro. (example: Do we really need yet another Linux distribution?) You can count on such a reviewer to comment the slogan in his screed. The tagline "speed, performance, stability" would invite a reviewer to evaluate VL by these three criteria, in which case VL comes up smelling roses, cuz VL is superlative in all three.

Are there other characteristics which define VectorLinux like those three? ...characteristics that make VL stand out in the crowded field of Linux distributions?

Possibles                                     Characteristic                                         
friendly, helpful forum                    service support                                       
blurymind's artwork                       beauty                         
configurability                              choice                                                   

« Last Edit: May 16, 2007, 04:33:36 am by nubcnubdo » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
  Print  

Jump to: