VectorLinux
September 30, 2014, 05:28:56 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
  Print  
Author Topic: VL Tagline: Choice of a...? (Have your say!)  (Read 21107 times)
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2007, 06:52:06 am »

Actually, I think just dropping the "when" and saying "Choice Matters" would be fine.

"built for speed"

I like both very much, dropping "when" make it sound more powerfull.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2007, 08:37:34 am »

Are there other characteristics which define VectorLinux like those three? ...characteristics that make VL stand out in the crowded field of Linux distributions?

The forum, TLZ packages, slapt-get, and blurymind's artwork, just for starters...

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2007, 10:27:23 am »

Agree about the helpful, friendly forum. Not sure we can boast friendliness, however. Best demonstrated than advertised.* The items you list are covered by performance and stability, mostly.

*You have a friend in Pennsylvania

AH HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

I'm from Pennsylvania, but that's funny as hell!!!!ONE111!!!111

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2007, 10:42:03 am »

I like "Built for performance" better than "Built for speed".

Something can be speedy, but that doesn't mean it runs well.  The word performance ties a lot more things together than just speed.  VL performs.
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2007, 10:48:19 am »

I'm suggesting three:  "...speed, performance, stability"

(see my post on page 2 of this thread)
Monty67

« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2007, 07:07:58 pm »

Vectorlinux...more worried about creating the best distro then the best slogan.

Vectorlinux...speed, stability, choice. Slogan optional.

Vectorlinux...with a stable and fast distro like ours who needs catchy slogans.

JUst tossing some "ideas" into the ring.  Grin

Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government.
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2007, 08:20:28 pm »

Vector...fast, stable...Linux

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2007, 07:25:06 am »

VectorLinux
  ...speed, performance, stability

1. speed: we got your optimized fast linux right here

2. performance: here "performance" is a fancy word for "just works", "out of the box", "does it all"

def. the fulfillment of a claim, promise, or request; implementation
http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/performance
def. the execution or accomplishment of work, acts, feats, etc.
def. the manner in which or the efficiency with which something fulfills its intended purpose.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/performance

3. stability: based on Slackware, rock-solid reliability
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 12:36:33 pm by nubcnubdo » Logged
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2007, 07:38:58 am »

Nigthflyer used this tag in a package request, I think fits perfectly with the VL image:

Vector linux, efficient computing...

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
soren

« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2007, 08:35:38 am »

My favourites are "Magnitude and direction" and the one about "Terminal Velocity" (VLocity?  Tongue ). I think they are both true and funny.

Magnitude and direction is funny and a good slogan on so many levels, it's almost scary. But then again, I have extensive training in linear algebra.. I still think that anyone, mathematician or not, can understand how it's a good thing if a distro has magnitude and direction.

Terminal velocity is obviously funny and meaningful to anyone accostumed to using the terminal, and to newcomers it's a nice catch phrase describing the well-known speed of VL.

All that being said, I think a good slogan is less important than the good impression left by the homepage. Many distros have crappy, ugly, confusing homepages with little or no imformation about the product they have to offer. vectorlinux.com is quite the opposite, and if I am right in assuming that the homepage is the first place people come to learn about VL, we have a significant advantage over most other distros.

JMTC,
Søren
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2007, 10:38:14 am »

VectorLinux
  ...experience the difference

Speed, performance, stability -- these are attributes that set VectorLinux apart in the crowded field of Linux distributions. VectorLinux is a lighterweight, fast, Linux operating system for Intel-AMD x86 compatible systems and is based upon Slackware, one of the original Linux distributions. Slackware is the true 'Unix' of Linux distributions and its popularity stems from the fact that it is a robust, versatile and almost unbreakable system. VectorLinux has improved Slackware to produce a bloat free, easy to install, configure and maintain operating system that is second to none. We include automatic hardware configuration, unique administration tools and easy software package management via the Gslapt/slapt-get system. VectorLinux is considered to be the fastest, non-source Linux distribution on the planet!

You are cordially invited to try VectorLinux and experience the difference firsthand. Welcome home.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Difference_engine
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 07:38:32 am by nubcnubdo » Logged
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2007, 05:33:27 pm »

I really don't like "Magnitude and Direction" or "Terminal Velocity." While "Magnitude and Direction" may seem descriptive and fitting to math types, it's nearly meaningless to us non-mathies. Sure, I know what "magnitude" means and "direction" means, but how they apply to a distro escapes me. Believe me, this techie-insider stuff turns off the vast majority of users, who are decidedly non-techie and don't wish to be so.

"Terminal Velocity" is, if anything, even worse. How many people know what a terminal is? How many prospective users have a burning desire to deal with terminals, even if they know what a terminal is? Most non-techies are scared to death of terminals. If you want to talk about speed, say "speed," not the rather pretentious "velocity."

I think "Speed, Performance, Stability" is pretty good. I also think a slogan isn't something on which the fortunes of VectorLinux will rise or fall.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
saulgoode
Vectorite

« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2007, 06:03:05 pm »

I really don't like "Magnitude and Direction" or "Terminal Velocity." While "Magnitude and Direction" may seem descriptive and fitting to math types, it's nearly meaningless to us non-mathies.

It could be worse, we could target the epidemiologist market with a slogan like "Get Infected!" Smiley

A complex system that works is invariably found to have evolved from a simple system that works.
tanelle

« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2007, 10:46:29 pm »

I think Nubcnubdo has a good sence of slogans. From all I read two options seem to look professional:

1.  ...speed, performance, stability
         this one is very much telling the vectorlinux story.

2. ...experience the difference

Running VL since 2002.Ubuntu and VL6.0 final on Thinkpad dualcore 1.6ghz /1 gb. VL 5.8 SoHo on mediapc 2.8ghz/768mb vl5.8 std+kde on 1 daughter's pc 550mhz/192mb other daughter runs Ubuntu 8.10.
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #59 on: May 17, 2007, 07:31:18 am »

VectorLinux
  ...discover the difference

Speed, performance, stability -- these are attributes that set VectorLinux apart in the crowded field of Linux distributions. VectorLinux is a lighterweight, fast, Linux operating system for Intel-AMD x86 compatible systems and is based upon Slackware, one of the original Linux distributions. Slackware is the true 'Unix' of Linux distributions and its popularity stems from the fact that it is a robust, versatile and almost unbreakable system. VectorLinux has improved Slackware to produce a bloat free, easy to install, configure and maintain operating system that is second to none. We include automatic hardware configuration, unique administration tools and easy software package management via the Gslapt/slapt-get system. VectorLinux is considered to be the fastest, non-source Linux distribution on the planet!

Give VectorLinux a try and discover the difference yourself. Welcome home.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 07:45:36 am by nubcnubdo » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
  Print  

Jump to: