VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: VectorLinux 7.2 Alpha Build - TESTERS NEEDED!  (Read 14004 times)

keste

• user

M0E-lnx

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: VectorLinux 7.2 Alpha Build - TESTERS NEEDED!
« Reply #106 on: April 04, 2016, 01:59:30 pm »

I dont see anything there that indicates what may have broken your gdm.

Can you boot to your text prompt by selecting the 'TUI' option on boot, then login as root and type 'init 4'

See if that brings up your gdm login screen.

keste

• user
« Reply #107 on: April 05, 2016, 06:46:04 am »

Can you boot to your text prompt by selecting the 'TUI' option on boot, then login as root and type 'init 4'

See if that brings up your gdm login screen.
Yes that brought me to the login screen.After that rebooted in default option did the same succesfully as well.
Reinstalled grub and the problem solved. I can now use gdm to login and use xfce4 which now remembers all the customization-localization i'd made.

M0E-lnx

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #108 on: May 06, 2016, 01:05:21 pm »

UPDATE
Version A1.4 has been built is now available for testing.

On this build, look for the following:

* Linux kernel has been update to LTS 4.4.9
* Hibernate button is back to logout dialog.  Default settings hibernate to swap, so if you add a swap partition at install time, you should be able to hibernate your machine.

ISO downloads are here

32-bit: 
http://vlcore.vectorlinux.com/pkg/untested/veclinux-7.2/iso/VL-7.2-STD-A1.4.iso
http://vlcore.vectorlinux.com/pkg/untested/veclinux-7.2/iso/VL-7.2-STD-A1.4.iso.md5sum.txt

64-bit:
http://vlcore.vectorlinux.com/pkg/untested/veclinux-7.2/iso/VL64-7.2-STD-A1.4.iso
http://vlcore.vectorlinux.com/pkg/untested/veclinux-7.2/iso/VL64-7.2-STD-A1.4.iso.md5sum.txt

Enjoy ;)

carl.from.up

• user
« Reply #109 on: May 13, 2016, 07:04:58 pm »

Downloaded & installed 7.2 64 a1.4.  GUI install failed when starting X with message  "Cannot display this graphics mode.  Optimum resolution 1440x900."  Tried adding several different framebuffer codes without success. Nvidia graphics. This problem has existed since at least 7.1 STD Final.  Installed using CLI OK.  Booted installed system using GUI - logged in, could not launch anything from the menu or connect to wi-fi.  Could launch programs and logout using desktop menu.  Rebooted using TUI, logged in, started xfce4, similar behavior.  Logged out, logged in as root, started xfce4, everthing OK.  Configured wi-fi, several other things, logged out as root, logged back in as me, started xfce4 as me, now things seemed normal..Repeated this process several times, no change.. System looks good and fast when I can get into it.

Posted by carl.from.up

rbistolfi

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #110 on: May 13, 2016, 07:26:08 pm »

Thanks for the report Carl, I will try to reproduce your problem and troubleshoot around.
"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!

carl.from.up

• user
« Reply #111 on: May 14, 2016, 08:29:27 am »

Thanks.  Would it be of help if I posted the hardware list for this machine and/or any of the log files?

retired1af

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #112 on: May 14, 2016, 11:37:52 am »

Would it be of help if I posted the hardware list for this machine and/or any of the log files?

Yes, definitely.
ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz

carl.from.up

• user
« Reply #113 on: May 17, 2016, 08:16:16 am »

Attached are the hardware list and log files from my 1st problem child install.

I did a new install on my other desktop yesterday - similar but newer hardware.  Both GUI and CLI installs worked fine, log in was normal.  But, network manager could not negotiate a connection with the network.  Have both cat 5 and wifi connections on that machine - could not get an address on either one.  Did not try disconnecting one or the other connections.

M0E-lnx

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #114 on: May 17, 2016, 05:09:09 pm »

Did you happen to choose a home partition and not format it during install on that setup that does no have a working x??

Also did you verify the md5sums of the idk image downloaded to run the install from?

carl.from.up

• user
« Reply #115 on: May 20, 2016, 09:04:01 am »

Re: 1st pc, no GUI install, x & wifi problems (I named this one 'play2')
ISO passes md5sum check.  Don't use a separate home partition.  All personal files are kept in a separate data partition mounted as /common, with symbolic links from login directory to directories on /common.  Don't think /common was mounted during install, added to fstab 2 days later.

I currently have 7 distros installed on play2.  Good news is that after SEVERAL DAYS of playing with it (TUI boot, root login, start xfce4, start wifi, then logout, relogin as me and start xfce4 and wifi) installation seems
to be normal.  Today, booting GUI, login as me, wifi autostarts, menus work, etc.  Have done more desktop configuration, installed thunderbird, gnucash, libreoffice, did some browsing.  Only change was insuring that xfce4 was preselected session before logging in.  Did this several days ago, didn't seem to make any difference then.  Today it's GREAT and FAST :).  System seems to have healed itself.  X can still die on login but works OK if I try again.

wigums

• Packager
  • Packager
  • Vectorite
« Reply #116 on: May 20, 2016, 01:34:01 pm »

im probably going to hate myself for asking this but why 7 distros?
why not install 1 distro and play with other distros in a VM such as virtualbox?
When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.

https://wigums.wordpress.com/drawings-2/
https://vlcoredocumentation.readthedocs.org/en/latest/
wigums@vectorlinux.net

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #117 on: May 21, 2016, 04:22:51 am »

Multiple distros on a drive is quite common when you are testing/playing with several releases. My single core laptop without hardware virtualization would choke on a virtual machine, but it has been a valuable tool for testing alphas and betas while still being usable for work.

Probably time to wipe out Win2K though.  ;D

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Kernel 4.4.11
« Reply #118 on: May 21, 2016, 06:39:43 am »

Testing kernel 4.4.11 on my laptop, looks good. Wifi works with BCM4321, nvidia 340.96 built without any issues and runs well.

wigums

• Packager
  • Packager
  • Vectorite
« Reply #119 on: May 21, 2016, 03:56:43 pm »

i know multi boot is kinda common but i have never run into someone with 7 before.

:o   lol

i say right on. the wilder the project the cooler it is
When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.

https://wigums.wordpress.com/drawings-2/
https://vlcoredocumentation.readthedocs.org/en/latest/
wigums@vectorlinux.net
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]