VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Vectorlinux 7.2 beta is released  (Read 1893 times)

vector

• Administrator
  • Vectorite
Vectorlinux 7.2 beta is released
« on: July 03, 2016, 01:43:09 am »

Vectorlinux is proud to announce the first beta release of the 7.2 version of its standard and light versions. The release features light a minimal desktop version using icewm and seamonkey as its base of operation. The standard version is xfce based with the lastest firefox version as the browser. Both versions can be installed with our semi automatic gui installer or thru a text based installer depending on your needs. We feature all the latest linux based software from kodi to libreoffice all easily installed with our gui or text based package manager. We are using the latest 4.4.14 lts kernel for the best hardware support and system speed. Please give this a try and submit any bugs you might find so that we can make our final releases as perfect as possible. Last note for the diehards we are systemd free. Many thanks to all the developers that made this possible you know who are and long live Vectorlinux!

bug tracking  and download links follow:

bug tracker
https://bitbucket.org/VLCore/vl72/issues?status=new&status=open

Downloads
32 bit version
http://ftp-osl.osuosl.org/pub/vectorlinux/veclinux-7.2/iso-release/
64 bit version
http://ftp-osl.osuosl.org/pub/vectorlinux/VL64-7.2/iso-release/

Cheers,
Vector

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: Vectorlinux 7.2 beta is released
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2016, 04:35:39 am »

Let the testing begin!  ;D

carl.from.up

• user
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 08:36:29 am »

Thank you.  I've been waiting for another release, and it's getting better.  Installing to an older 64-bit desktop (lshw attached) with a Dell 17" flat panel, native resolution 1440x900.  Have installed both 32 & 64 bit versions successfully but not without some problems.

GUI installer does not work with this hardware, quits with "cannot display this video mode, optimum resolution 1440x900 60Hz".  This problem has existed since version 7.1.

CLI installer worked on both 32 & 64 bit versions but with common problems.
    Using predefined partitions (I have 12, plus attached usb thumb drive).  Does not display all partitions and getting to 2nd drive was a kluge, but I got there.  Also, "Back" & "Next" buttons not displayed - movement keys got to their positions and select worked.
    32 bit install hung at "Processing Tasks, Setting Passwords, `100%".  Grub not installed.  Reboot, try again, installed OK.  Reboot, login as me, everything appears to work OK - menus, wifi, etc.  Then I found your post,
grabbed the 64 bit version, and started over.
    64 bit CLI went OK, no more problems.  Reboot into GUI, login as me on X, nothing works - no wifi, nothing selectable.  Reboot into TUI, login as root, startxfce4, everything works.  Started wifi, enabled for all users, saved, and logout.  Then login as me, startxfce4, now everything works.  Reboot into GUI, everything still works, and here I am.  Similar to behavior on verions A1.4 - less painful, but perhaps that was because of my prior experience with A1.4.
    One last problem.  Partition selection during install does not appear to provide a means to define new mount points.  I keep all of my personal files in a large partition I call and mount as "common" with directories accessable vi symbolic links.  After booting into my new 6472B1 system, I added this partition to my fstab, identified by UUID, as were the other partitions.  System could not find or mount it - "no such partition or disk".  Rebooted, same behavior.  Verified UUID and fstab line, changed UUID to device name, now "mount -a" finds and mounts the partition.

Hope my experience can help others.  I like Vector - fast, light, complete, based on latest Slackware - It has and does what I need.

Thanks again.

carl.from.up

• user
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 11:37:06 am »

Update my experience with 7.2 Beta:  All of my systems (3) are 64 bit.

Finally got time to play with 7.2 Beta on my newest system.  32 bit version worked fine - graphical installer, networking, etc.
64 bit version - graphical installer worked fine, installation looked good, but no networking.  Have both wired and wifi connections on this machine, both were detected & connected, but dhcp could not negotiate an address with the router on either connection.  Reinstalled 7.1 64bit STD Final - same problem. 

Since I can't get networking on this machine and it was a kluge on the other machine, I will be setting Vevtor aside and wait for a new release.