VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Vectorlinux 7.2 beta is released  (Read 2706 times)

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: Vectorlinux 7.2 beta is released
« Reply #15 on: Today at 06:31:32 am »

I started the installation of VL 7.2 Beta 32bit light version on my laptop under virtualbox and I for whatever reason it is taking forever to complete the installation. I pause the installation after an hour as I need it to go to bed. Is there any reason why the installation is taking forever on a virtual machine? I have installed other distros and the installation has been pretty fast. I wonder if the issue is just with VB. I just thought I mentioned this in case you guys need to do something about it.

The virtual machine needs at least 256 MB of RAM, and 5+ GB of disk space.

When the installation stalls, does the VM show any activity on the optical drive and hard drive indicators in the lower right of the VB window?

warpman

« Reply #16 on: Today at 12:32:58 pm »

I gave the VM 2GB of memory and gave it enough HD space. It took about and hour to complete the installation. And yes there was some activity showing in the lower right of the VB window. Also, I noticed a few issues after the installation was done.

1. Booting takes a very long time to complete. I have Bodhi Linux on a VM and it is way faster than VL.
2. I'm having issues with the keyboard. I start typing and it types about 4 characters and then there is nothing. I have to wait a couple of seconds and try typing again. I tried resetting the keyboard a couple of times but it didn't work. I also tried to reset the locale and it didn't fixed the issue.
3. The response time is really bad. I update the software and it took a while to complete the installation. I also tried installing the VB Guest Additions and it also took forever to install. The response time is very slow even though I gave the VM enough memory and enough HD to use.

I'm going to download and install the standard edition and give it a shot. I will let you know if I encounter the same issues.

rbistolfi

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #17 on: Today at 04:52:25 pm »

Hi Warpman,

Thanks for testing!
Looks like some process is hogging resources either in the host or in the Vector VM. Could you check CPU status in both the host and the guest?
Vector ships htop for that purpose, you can use in the host also if it is available, if not, you can use top.

Regards, Rodrigo
"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Pages: 1 [2]