VectorLinux
July 29, 2014, 10:28:15 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux 5.8 SOHO RC3 released  (Read 15855 times)
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« on: April 23, 2007, 07:50:43 pm »

The VectorLinux development team proudly announces the release of VectorLinux 5.8 SOHO RC3, built on the rock solid base of VL 5.8 standard GOLD. This release addresses all the bugs and suggestions since the RC2 release. We spent a good deal of energy perfecting the binary NVIDIA and ATI drivers installation routine plus updated to latest drivers. We felt it was time to give our users the best out of the box experience and in todays world video performance is a must. Vleasytables our unique firewall that we think users will find easy to use and configure was tweaked. The kernel is updated to 2.6.20.7, Firefox and OpenOffice updated to their latest and some serious updates to Vasm to reflect new configuration programs Several wifi drivers were updated including ndiswrapper and madwifi.

The latest SOHO includes a custom 2.6.20.7 SMP Kernel, compiled with bootsplash, squashfs, lzma, and realtime patches. It supports reading and writing to NTFS-formatted media via fuse and ntfs-3g. The desktop environment is KDE version 3.5.6 with Kmyfirewall, Amarok 1.4.5, and OpenOffice version 2.2. Multimedia applications such as VLC 0.8.6a, Mplayer 1.0RC1, K3B-1.0.1 and graphics editors such as The Gimp version 2.2.14 and Xara Xtreme version 0.7. Printing is supported by cups with hpijs drivers for HP printers, and gutenprint drivers for many other popular printers. There is a whole new look and feel, from the boot menu to the desktop. We call it beautiful. We know its fast!
SCREENSHOT DESKTOP

Please be reminded this is a RC release and although this was prefaced by the RC2 release we expect that there are still bugs to be squashed. Those interested in trying it will find the release here:
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-soho-current/iso-release/VL5.8-SOHO-RC3.iso                698mb
680182367e81ce4c6ae3144f6fe61e93  VL5.8-SOHO-RC3.iso

There is a delta from RC2 to RC3 here:
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-soho-current/iso-release/VL5.8-SOHO-RC2toRC3.delta   512mb
7282b3e853032c94dfe0ee8c96dae4d3  VL5.8-SOHO-RC2toRC3.delta
Please report bugs and problems to our forum:
http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2

Cheers.
The Vector Team
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 09:44:12 pm by vector » Logged
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 09:03:32 am »

These are exciting times! Should have RC3 up and going later tonight.

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
blurymind
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 01:23:17 pm »

SCREENSHOT DESKTOP

wow, this definatelly looks awesome.
Great job! Grin

status: playing around with new tablet and learning to 3d :p
google page :  http://blurymind.googlepages.com
DA PAGE :  http://www.blurymind.deviantart.com/
Precursor

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 01:46:34 am »

This is my first post here!
First at all I would like to say Hello Everyone!

I've already installed VL 5.8 RC3 on my mate Celeron laptop and VL is working very fast and and fast.
I used to be Xubuntu user since 6 months but some features started annoying me,specially response time and overall speed of this OS.Tonight I'm gonna install VL 5.8 RC3 on my Athlon 700 MHz with 128MB ram.

I'm looking forward to install VL in my brain!  Wink

Great job boys!  Kiss

"I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do." - HAL 9000
lilofan

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 03:24:34 pm »

GREAT WORK PALS !!!  Cheesy
THE LEGENDARY SOLID SNAKE

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2007, 08:24:53 pm »

Guys, when the final version come out will I have to uninstall the RC3 or can I just update it?

ps: I have not downloaded the RC3 one because I'll wait replies to take a decision  Embarrassed

Thank you very much indeed.  Wink

''Behold, he cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they also which pierced him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, Amen.'' The Revelation 1:7

Never forget about this verse, especially on that day.
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2007, 04:02:51 am »

How much RAM will we need to run it? Will 256 MB be enough?
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2007, 06:30:38 am »

256MB would be a bare minimum. When I first boot KDE on VL5.8SOHO RC3 the command "free" shows me that just to get to a bare desktop takes about 245MB of RAM (much of that is cached however, and you end up with about 80MB actually being used). However, it still means that once you load a browser and maybe another program you will undoubtedly start using swap, and then it's sort of like driving into a wall of jello.

I would not use KDE without 512MB or RAM, if I had less than that I would opt for VL5.8 standard using xfce, but that is just my opinion.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2007, 07:16:53 am »

Guys, when the final version come out will I have to uninstall the RC3 or can I just update it?

ps: I have not downloaded the RC3 one because I'll wait replies to take a decision  Embarrassed

No one knows anything about it?  Cry Cry Cry

''Behold, he cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they also which pierced him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, Amen.'' The Revelation 1:7

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2007, 07:30:02 am »

No one knows anything about it?  Cry Cry Cry

I think a full-install of the final version is needed. You could try to upgrade some packages but a full install is recommended. I dont know if a delta will be avaible (you patch the RC3 iso with it, and you get the final ISO, the install is still needed, but you save some broadband). If you are worried about your personal data, you can keep your /home partition if you make one.
May be I´m wrong, please someone correct me if I am.

cheers, Rodrigo

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2007, 07:55:11 am »

you will need to update it. Sadly the repo's are not to a point where you will get the same results if you did an upgrade.
The Final version should be finished this week.

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2007, 08:01:47 am »

Shocked Ohhhh Great!!! So I'll wait for it  Cheesy

Thank you and sorry if bothered you with many questions Embarrassed Embarrassed

ps: Wow, I have been waiting for the Soho edition for a long time hehehe
« Last Edit: May 02, 2007, 08:03:36 am by THE LEGENDARY SOLID SNAKE » Logged

Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2007, 02:19:38 pm »

256MB would be a bare minimum. When I first boot KDE on VL5.8SOHO RC3 the command "free" shows me that just to get to a bare desktop takes about 245MB of RAM (much of that is cached however, and you end up with about 80MB actually being used). However, it still means that once you load a browser and maybe another program you will undoubtedly start using swap, and then it's sort of like driving into a wall of jello.

I would not use KDE without 512MB or RAM, if I had less than that I would opt for VL5.8 standard using xfce, but that is just my opinion.

Thanks, as you probably guessed I do only have 256 MB of RAM. I may still try it though I'm reasonably happy with VL 5.8 Standard and fluxbox (normally, though I use others sometimes).
Precursor

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2007, 01:30:18 am »

256MB would be a bare minimum. I would not use KDE without 512MB or RAM, if I had less than that I would opt for VL5.8 standard using xfce, but that is just my opinion.

Well that's probably right specially for powerful applications.I got Athlon 700MHz with 128MB ram,Riva TNT2 Pro (working using nv open source drivers) and KDE is running very fast.I've installed 1GB swap partition and everything seems to be fine.I tried yesterday run gaim,opera and xine playing divX in the same time and VL was working propely with good reaction and response times.

"I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do." - HAL 9000
ghartl1
Vectorite

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2007, 02:51:23 am »

i also have 256 mb ram available..and imho its by far enough..
the trick is to provide certain memory to openoffice.
you cant believe it afterwards...the box is just flying..and so responsive.without any glitches

go to openoffice>settings> memory>put it to 64 mb...
the same to memory per object>8 mb would be sufficient
another option would be to deactivate java in openoffice...(never used it in ooffice)

i dont know the ramifications exactly to the other applications(in technical terms)...but the other apps are too much more responsive...
maybe someone can explain it, why this tweak affect all interactiones with applicationes.

btw: i have been working with this configuration for at least 8 month without any sideeffects..

just give it a try..

and then look :-)

greets günter
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: