VectorLinux
December 18, 2014, 05:02:24 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux 5.8 SOHO RC3 released  (Read 16616 times)
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2007, 03:22:07 am »

Thanks, I will though I must admit I'm in the dark as to why it should work.
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2007, 09:15:51 pm »

OpenOffice using less memory == less paging == less thrashing. I think that's about the size of it.

Virtual memory on alcohol: "My brain's paged out to my liver." LOLOL

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2007, 03:05:00 am »

I've just looked in OpenOffice 2.2, and I can't see a general option to select the amount of memory accessible by Open Office (there's only an entry for the graphics cache under "Options"). Is there somewhere else I should look for this?
redy

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2007, 03:36:55 am »

The Final version should be finished this week.

Hmm, i'm still waiting for this release...
however this is my first posting Grin i've using VL SOHO 5.0.1 till now since very long time ago...

Thanks to VL
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2007, 08:04:00 am »

Any word on whether Beryl will be available for SOHO 5.8 when the final is released?

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2007, 10:24:42 am »

Any word on whether Beryl will be available for SOHO 5.8 when the final is released?

It certainly won't be included in the iso release, but my guess is that it will be available through the repo as some point (shortly) after the final release.
Dweeberkitty
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2007, 06:56:47 pm »

It certainly won't be included in the iso release, but my guess is that it will be available through the repo as some point (shortly) after the final release.

Actually it won't be available at all for a while yet. The final version of SOHO will ship with Xorg 6.9 while Beryl requires 7.x. This is a bummer but I believe that VL will start shipping with a newer Xorg in all releases from now on. After the final comes out I've been planning on working on getting Beryl to work on it. This requires an Xorg upgrade which is no small matter but I'm working on getting a system down so it'll be fairly easy to upgrade VL and install Beryl with little or no side effects.

In the meantime, MOE-lnx has already created a HOWTO for upgrading your Xorg:
http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=1396.0

He also has a HOWTO for installing Beryl:
http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=1406.0

However there are some issues with his HOWTOs so far from what I've been testing with the latest SOHO. Hopefully I'll have time to resolve the problems and get a HOWTO up that will work for the latest SOHO sometime after the final comes out.

Stay tuned!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 06:58:58 pm by Dweeberkitty » Logged

Registered Linux User #443399
Desktop: Intel Pentium D 3.33Ghz, 320GB hard drive, 2 gigs DDR2 533mhz RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GS, X2GEN 22" widescreen monitor;
Laptop: Dell Mini 9, Intel Atom 1.6Ghz, 1GB ram
Multimedia Bonus Disc website: http://www.vectorlinuxsolutions.com/
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: