VectorLinux
October 21, 2014, 03:54:58 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: VL-5.8-SOHO-RC3 Bugs/annoyances  (Read 27988 times)
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« on: April 23, 2007, 07:52:28 pm »

Please post anything you find here.

Thanks,
Uelsk8s
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 07:40:12 am »

System with ICH5 chipset and nVidia GF6200:

- On install, it pre-selected "nvidia-latest", but the instructions state that "nv" is the default.

- Same problem as in RC2, using nvidia-latest: I boot to CLI, run startx. When logging out, CRT turns goes blank (LED goes from green to orange). System still responds to keyboard inputs and can be shut down/rebooted normally.
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 08:50:47 am »

nightflier and devs: using nvidia-legacy driver here and do not get the result above, all seems fine. Can we get a couple of other testers to try what nightflier has tried with new nvidia drivers please!?

As of yet I cannot find any bugs or annoyances. Complements to all for the hard work and efforts. Looks pretty much ready-to-roll IMHO...

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 02:06:53 pm »

Not entirely sure this isn't something in my setup, or if it's something in KDE that can't interact with the drivers and monitor. But when I set a screen saver, instead of coming on in 10 minutes, the screen goes blank. But the screen saver tests fine when you press the test button.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
JohnB316
Administrator
Vectorian

Registered Linux User #386728

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 05:56:55 pm »

Not entirely sure this isn't something in my setup, or if it's something in KDE that can't interact with the drivers and monitor. But when I set a screen saver, instead of coming on in 10 minutes, the screen goes blank. But the screen saver tests fine when you press the test button.

Do you have the kdeartwork package installed on your box? Without that package, there won't be a whole lot of screensavers to use. Alternatively, if xscreensaver is on your box, you can use that rather than KDE's wrapper around it.

HTH,
John

VL 6.0 SOHO latest alpha on one box, VL 5.9 Lite on the other.
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 06:52:39 pm »

While trying to install I get an error that X11 keymaps are not found. This doesn't allow setup to complete. Trying it again now... Also noted that in the scrolling names at the top the the screen there's a typo: JohnVan (Forum Cheif). BTW I feel honored that you include me in that list.
------------
I just skipped the keymap selection (first checkbox on the list of things to configure) and all went well but this may be a problem for others if they need something other than US default keymapping.

Noted this time that the setup didn't mis-detect my graphic chipset as ATI (it's Intel). So far all seems to be very smooth but more testing to do.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 07:21:29 pm by mikecindi » Logged

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 07:43:41 pm »

Do you have the kdeartwork package installed on your box? Without that package, there won't be a whole lot of screensavers to use. Alternatively, if xscreensaver is on your box, you can use that rather than KDE's wrapper around it.

HTH,
John

Yeah, have the whole ball of wax installed. It's rather strange. Have a hole plethora of screensavers to choose from, yet none of them work. Screen just goes blank. But when I hit the "Test" button, the screensaver shows.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
JohnB316
Administrator
Vectorian

Registered Linux User #386728

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 09:21:30 pm »

This is an install-time issue. When the installer configures the X server, I wanted to change the keymap from the default US layout, since I use a Microsoft Natural Keyboard. Anyway, when I selected that option in the X configuration routine, I got the following error message:

Can't find X11 keymap list

This error would be pretty serious for folks who don't use US keyboard layouts by default.

Cheers,
John

VL 6.0 SOHO latest alpha on one box, VL 5.9 Lite on the other.
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2007, 12:36:38 am »

I get the same error when trying to change the key map... I think this is a high priority to correct as most people would give up at this stage.  Other than that looks ok, will see if it detects both my optical drives and if I can download kde localisations, and see if that deals with the keymap issue.
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2007, 04:54:44 am »

can we have a few people test the "x11 keymap list" error after reinstalling bash?
just open a terminal su to root and type " slapt-get --install bash --reinstall "
let us know if that fixes it

Thanks,
Uelsk8s
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2007, 05:27:13 am »

System with ICH5 chipset and nVidia GF6200:

- On install, it pre-selected "nvidia-latest", but the instructions state that "nv" is the default.

- Same problem as in RC2, using nvidia-latest: I boot to CLI, run startx. When logging out, CRT turns goes blank (LED goes from green to orange). System still responds to keyboard inputs and can be shut down/rebooted normally.
does this problem happen if you boot to kdm?

can you test this driver and see if it works better for your card?
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-soho-5.8/packages-soho/drivers/nvidia-9631_2.6.20.7-i586.1vl58.tlz
thanks,
Uelsk8s
ekp

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2007, 09:38:57 am »

I still have problems with holding on to netconfig after running a Live Cd.  I do try a lot of new Live Cd's and it is necessary to rerun netconfig after using them.  Alsaconfig also sometimes.  Problems have been there with RC2 as well.
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2007, 10:03:09 am »

Again, I'd like to ask to get rid of the custom menu.  Software with perfectly fine .desktop files doesn't show up in kde's menu. This is extremely annoying: stuff in the repo that has always worked fine on both kde and xfce doesn't show up in SOHO. this is
a) not user friendly
b) just plain silly.

Does the custom menu really make up for breaking .desktop compliance?
I don't think so and I'm sure we'll get questions about this from newbies, perhaps even people thinking we can't even build proper packages or something.

I'd love to see /etc/skel/.config/menus/applications-kmenuedit.menu  nuked.

[edit]
to get rid of this menu in an existing SOHO RC install, delete ~/.config/menus/applications-kmenuedit.menu
[/edit]
« Last Edit: April 28, 2007, 10:10:16 am by The Headacher » Logged

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
Dweeberkitty
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2007, 12:30:30 pm »

I'd love to see /etc/skel/.config/menus/applications-kmenuedit.menu  nuked.
Amen! This has been an annoyance since beta2 I think.

Registered Linux User #443399
Desktop: Intel Pentium D 3.33Ghz, 320GB hard drive, 2 gigs DDR2 533mhz RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GS, X2GEN 22" widescreen monitor;
Laptop: Dell Mini 9, Intel Atom 1.6Ghz, 1GB ram
Multimedia Bonus Disc website: http://www.vectorlinuxsolutions.com/
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2007, 06:55:52 am »

can you tell me some packages that dont give kmenu entries that have proper .desktop files?
everything i have tried shows up for me.
I would like to dig into this a bit see if its possible to have everything working.

Thanks,
Uelsk8s
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: