VectorLinux
October 31, 2014, 11:06:48 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]
  Print  
Author Topic: VL7.1 STD feedback and suggestions.  (Read 12135 times)
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #105 on: October 06, 2014, 03:42:28 pm »

There was a pretty huge change in XFCE somewhere in the middle of the test releases. I seem to recall one of my test installs blowing up due to those changes.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #106 on: October 07, 2014, 10:10:05 am »

Is this a "fresh" user, or are you using a /home from a previous install?
Fresh install, no transfer of /home. Just a clean install that worked fine for a while. The computer MIGHT have run out of batteries once or perhaps I had to exit XFCE using CTRL+ALT+Backspace. I can't recall exactly what happened before and after the fresh install.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #107 on: October 26, 2014, 06:39:09 am »

Yesterday my new user had also lost the dekstop.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
d_s

« Reply #108 on: October 26, 2014, 12:20:05 pm »

A wild idea: @ The Headacher - if you create another user and do a diff -r between the one who lost the desktop and the one who still has it, does anything show up that could be XFCE-related? Or even X-related, considering that neither awesome nor want to work? Ok, first you need to verify that at least awesome works with a fresh user, then install fluxbox and verify that. Btw... after you have installed fluxbox, pls check if it suddenly/magically works for an old user who lost his desktop.

I think in the direction that somehow during usage a configuration file gets corrupted in such a way that either the desktop / window manager refuses to start... Hmmm... there could be something unusual in your ~/.xsession-errors, do you see something. Maybe something that isn't there with a fresh user?
roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #109 on: October 26, 2014, 05:51:23 pm »

Is xfdesktop(1) any help? What does running 'xfdesktop' in terminal yield?

Robert
VL STD 7.1 RC2.2.2, icewmvmods
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #110 on: October 27, 2014, 03:38:33 am »

Also, I would try chowning $home

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]
  Print  

Jump to: