VectorLinux
October 24, 2014, 09:53:00 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Starting "awkward" programs, i.e. those that install into their own directories  (Read 14357 times)
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2007, 05:30:27 pm »

And the light goes on!!

Thanks for putting it in "Lee is an idiot" terms.  I knew it had to be something simple.  Grin

Well, mea culpa my fault for using expensive terms like 'null morpheme'. It should have been an exercise in erudition simply educational, but I had to go and make it into a pseudo-intellectual dog's breakfast.

I'm glad you understand it now anyway. Your efforts are valiant.

Edit:

Exeter, eh? A number of my ancestors are from southern England, although it really might be more in the neighborhood of Norfolk and Suffolk for me, what with all this thick Norse facial hair I've grown...
« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 05:34:16 pm by hanumizzle » Logged

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2007, 06:33:41 pm »

Yup...  seems I've hijacked the heck out of this thread  Roll Eyes

hanumizzle...   Exeter NH  USA  The revolutionary war capitol *ducking*
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2007, 07:43:57 pm »

Yup...  seems I've hijacked the heck out of this thread  Roll Eyes

hanumizzle...   Exeter NH  USA  The revolutionary war capitol *ducking*

Shocked OMG LOL!!!  Grin

Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2007, 12:13:31 am »

I think it's a lot easier to make a symlink with Midnight Commander than trying to remember all the commands and syntax. Just open MC, have the directory with Adobe Reader's executable in one panel and the directory where you want the symlink (such as /usr/bin) in the other panel. Highlight the Adobe Reader executable (on my system it's /usr/local/Adobe/Acrobat7.0/bin/acroread). Then hit Control-x, s (or File menu, Symlink). MC will create a symlink in /usr/bin or whatever directory is visible in the other panel.

Now you should be able to start Adobe Reader with an acroread command, no path necessary.
--GrannyGeek

Excellent, I'll try that with my other programs too such as SwiftFox and Flock. Thanks for the advice.
EyesOnly

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2007, 06:36:14 am »

We're neighbours then exeterdad as I'm across the border from you in Maine, 20 miles north of Augusta. Wink Interesting how different people think of different places of the world when they see a word but it stands to reason on a global forum. Hanumizzle thought England and I thought our sister state. hehe!

@Hanumizzle: Sorry my friend... I didn't mean to capitalise on the fact that I couldn't understand your wording and I hope that I didn't offend you as that wasn't my intention in the least so please forgive me---forgive us as I think you'll find this wasn't exeterdad's intention either. For me personally someone can explain something 50 different ways the exact same thing and yet sometimes it's the 51st way of explaining it that the message will "click". It may be a complicated manner of explaining it, or a simple manner, it doesn't matter as it's the way the person has said it. And I don't think I'm being very clear so maybe I should stop. Sad

One thing though: I've been a lurker on this forum since VL5.1 (along towards the end of the distro maybe 6 to 8 months before 5.8 came out) and I do want you to know Hanumizzle that there have been many times throughout that period when it's been what you've said which has "clicked" when what others said didn't---and allowed me to solve a problem I was having. I hope that helped?

By the way---thanks GrannyGeek for that hint on MC as that's neat! I don't personally use that myself but I'll have to investigate that more I guess. Myself, I use mostly ROX and Krusader (and in Puppy lotsa times Emelfm2) and making systemlinks in those programmes is a "drag n' drop" dream come true.  Grin

Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 06:40:14 am by EyesOnly » Logged

"We never know just how much a kind word, or a gesture, will lift the spirits of a friend, or person, in need and heal them." (jimmymac)
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2007, 06:48:11 am »

We're neighbours then exeterdad as I'm across the border from you in Maine, 20 miles north of Augusta. Wink Interesting how different people think of different places of the world when they see a word but it stands to reason on a global forum. Hanumizzle thought England and I thought our sister state. hehe!

Well, few names are more English than Exeter, except maybe for Ælfred (meaning Elf-rede, or Elf-counsel).

Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2007, 02:30:05 pm »

I thought Exeter, England too (I live about 60 miles from there).
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2007, 06:36:24 pm »

I thought Exeter, England too (I live about 60 miles from there).

Really? What city?

Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2007, 03:25:20 am »

I live in a village about 20 miles north-east of Plymouth.
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2007, 02:17:59 pm »

I live in a village about 20 miles north-east of Plymouth.

Ok, out in the West Country then. Does the sea bring you nice weather or no?  Wink

Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2007, 10:49:57 pm »

I usually start those programs by putting a file into ~/bin with a simple line such as "/usr/local/Adobe/Acrobat7.0/bin/acroread &" (w/o the qotes) and make the file executable.
Name the file short like acb. Can then be accessed from anywhere. ~/bin is the first place linux is looking in for an executable file.
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2007, 10:30:34 am »

Just remember #!/bin/sh at the top.

Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2007, 05:25:25 pm »

Just remember #!/bin/sh at the top.

Yes, I just wonder. I used to put it, however, found on one and two liners there seems to be no need or is it I don't understand why it should be there.

I just put this in as killmcs file and it works just fine w/o that top line:

X=$(/sbin/pidof -x xfce-mcs-manager)
kill $X
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2007, 08:01:36 pm »

Maybe that's the first guess made?

I'm not sure. Do you have the binfmt_misc code in the kernel? Might be a module.

Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2007, 01:01:44 am »

Maybe that's the first guess made?

I'm not sure. Do you have the binfmt_misc code in the kernel? Might be a module.

Yes,

locate binfmt_misc
/lib/modules/2.6.20.3/kernel/fs/binfmt_misc.ko

it's there
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: