VectorLinux
April 18, 2014, 08:55:48 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14
  Print  
Author Topic: VL pre-installed  (Read 43010 times)
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #135 on: May 20, 2007, 05:20:46 pm »

Just an update. I was testing the new version of the script, so its not deleting anymore, but moving the member to another group instead. Do you think this will affect the re-indexing issue in another way, Bigpaws? If some more experienced guys than me in sql could give an advice on this could be great!
Looks like works, and is very simple. Editing a value instead the hard delete of the hole entry is more safe, and the action keeps the user data, wich is nice if VL wants to do some promotion stuff. The "groups" feature make it very easy, we just need to set the value of the mgroup field of the xx_members table. I need to say this is a very strong point in favor of trellis. Without the "groups" feature, we should take other way, like switching the password to a random one. This makes the changes hard to trace. With the groups you can list the inactive users easily. I will think on this, since may be other help-desk is the winner.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
someotherguy

« Reply #136 on: May 20, 2007, 08:26:51 pm »

If you were to manually change the mgroup value of a user in the xx_members table, the only thing that would be off is the member count for each group.  To update these members, you would simply need to run two more queries.  One that subtracts a user group the old group, and one that adds a user to the new group.  If you look in the xx_groups table, you will see a field called g_members which stores the current member count for that group.

The group cache is usually updated after a member switches groups.  But you may be fine without updating the cache right away, as Trellis Desk will update on its own eventually.  If you wish to update the cache immediately, a simple call to the rebuild_group_cache() function would do it.  The ifthd.php file would need to be loaded in backend mode, which is very easy to do.
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #137 on: May 21, 2007, 07:33:31 am »

Thank you very much someotherguy! That is really helpful, I dont think a really up-to-date cache is needed, but we'll see... The counters issue is a small one and with your advice can be fixed easily, so this are good news fot us.
Thank you again.

PS: I viewed your posts on the trellis forum when I was looking for info on this subject, so you have authority on this field   Wink

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."

--
Jumalauta!!
someotherguy

« Reply #138 on: May 21, 2007, 08:15:27 am »

PS: I viewed your posts on the trellis forum when I was looking for info on this subject, so you have authority on this field   Wink

LoL, I am the developer. Smiley
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #139 on: May 21, 2007, 08:22:13 am »

LoL, I am the developer. Smiley

Great! Congratulations for the good work!
As a payback for your help, our devs could help you on your Vector Linux install  Cheesy

--
Jumalauta!!
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #140 on: May 25, 2007, 03:20:35 pm »

So... Are we still interested in giving support?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 05:19:22 pm by rbistolfi » Logged

--
Jumalauta!!
metvas
Vectorite

« Reply #141 on: May 25, 2007, 05:16:23 pm »

you betcha we are..
Thxs
Darrell

Knowledge is Power, share it.
Be the change you want to see in the World
metvas
Vectorite

« Reply #142 on: May 25, 2007, 10:40:25 pm »

Hello All:
Lots on the go as usual. Finally got through with those boards dumping on VL. Sure relieved that is just about over. MadTux sold some VL Green Machines unfortunately without pre-paid help. Happy to see them move anyway. Great review on us being better Slackware than Slackware…lots of chatter to go along with it. Mostly good about 60% and that’s OK.
Rbistoilfi is looking close to a solution with Trellis Board, Thanks guy. Bigpaws is working on RT, it seems to have lots of dependency issues and some quirky Pearl code is needed to be written. Bigpaws knows a bit of Pearl but maybe could use a hand. Way to go bigpaws. Wish I had the server brains that guy has. Uel provided me with info on our source code that was interesting did not know it was not online. Does not really matter, as VL is GPL compliant anyway. Got the art work done for the CD cover for SoHo, got some orders processed then went back to dealing with MadTux.
MadTux is very happy that we now have a nice link to the VL machine page from our home page. Looks good Thanks Robert. Thanks to everyone and those that donated or purchased a product Thanks. So that is that for me, next step is to get rbistolfi and bigpaws any help they may need. Then we are set-up. Real good work you guys. We are shinning out there with that review, I wonder how Patrick feels about that, that’s another story.
Best Regards
Darrell

Knowledge is Power, share it.
Be the change you want to see in the World
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #143 on: May 26, 2007, 12:57:53 pm »

Nice news, metvas.
Here is my report. I made some modifications to solve the counters issue. It works, but trellis have a bug on the counters (the demo version have it too, so i didnt break it  Smiley) so, even when you update the list of members from one or more groups, the counter is 0. This is a minor bug anyway and surely will be fixed on next release.
Because lack of time, I didnt go with the cache issue. Is this important for us? The cache is nice, you can undo some changes if you want. I can imagine just one scenario: the server clock have a problem, so, mysql will remove users who are not really expired. This can happen if the clock of the server is foward. The worst thing can happen is an authorized member who cant access to his account. Remember this is a change hard to trace.
If something like this happen, we want to undo the changes, fix the clock, and re-run the script to remove really-expired accounts. I am thinking in adding a report with date included, to be sended by mail to the admin. This will notice us of the problem quickly (hopefuly), but oviously not resolve the undo issue.
A possible solution: generate an intermediate group, with just the last accounts moved. In that way you can move back the unfairly moved users with some efficience. The members of this group needs to be moved  in the next script execution to a definitive group, and the transitional group updated with the last expired accounts.
what do you think about this?

--
Jumalauta!!
someotherguy

« Reply #144 on: May 27, 2007, 05:46:33 am »

I made some modifications to solve the counters issue. It works, but trellis have a bug on the counters (the demo version have it too, so i didnt break it  Smiley) so, even when you update the list of members from one or more groups, the counter is 0. This is a minor bug anyway and surely will be fixed on next release.

I'm about to push out the Beta 6 release.  Can you explain this bug to me in more detail so I can hopefully squeeze the fix in?
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #145 on: May 28, 2007, 06:50:10 am »

Yes, I was thinking about  contact you in your forum but I didnt because of lack of time, sorry. The counters dont reflex the real state of the database. I have a few members in one group and the counter still in zero. I though I screwed something playing with the database, so I did a manual update of the value of g_members hoping trellis could do the counts from this number. Everything goes fine, but when you move a member to another group or you do another kind of update, the counter go back to zero. If you check the members list, the members are there, but the ciunter is in zero. Looks like each time trellis update the g_members value, it set 0 to the g_members field. I checked the demo version to be sure it wasnt me broken something, but the demo works in the same way.
cheers, Rodrigo

--
Jumalauta!!
someotherguy

« Reply #146 on: May 28, 2007, 10:08:03 am »

I think I fixed that in Beta 6.  That bug sounds familiar.  Anyways, Beta 6 has been released.  The demo has also been updated so you can check it out there.  If the bug is still there, let me know.
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #147 on: May 28, 2007, 10:32:57 am »

Thank you someotherguy, it's a minor bug, so it can wait to the next release  Wink
I will donwnload beta 6, I am sure will be nice, the bases of a good system are already there.
Keep the good work!

--
Jumalauta!!
never_stop_learning
Vectorite

« Reply #148 on: May 28, 2007, 03:31:49 pm »

My apologies, I've been buried between work and the Lions Computers for Kids Project, just read this thread from start to finish and realize that I'm joining the discussion late in the game. You may also want to review the SQI, Inc. website - http://sqi-inc.com/ic/ - for information regarding their Client Interface Environment (CIE). These good folks also started Open Source Nevada and are true Linux evangelists.

We tried a number of different Lions C4K models. Direct user support became way too onerous for a volunteer based project. We now work through 'Sponsoring Organizations' (Big Brothers Big Sisters, the local foster families association,  public and private schools, other non-profits) through a 'train the trainers' model. They act as Tier I Tech Support for the kids and families. We act as Tier II support. As we flesh this model out, SQI, Inc. will provide our Trouble Ticket and Resolution system. Believe me, you want to automate this process as much as possible if you want to keep your sanity.

I am happy to facilitate contact with the SQI if you feel it's appropriate. Please LMK what else I can do to help.

Laptop: IBM X60s (Centrino/Duo, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Netbook: HP Mini (Intel Atom 1ghz, 2gb ram, 16gb SSD + 8gb flash ) VL 6.0 Std
Desktop: Dell Dimension 5150 (P4 3ghz, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Wife's Desktop: Gateway (P4 2ghz, 1gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #149 on: May 28, 2007, 03:43:27 pm »

Never to late to join. SQI appears to be an interesting solution.

The type of solution that is being looked at something that can be
autonomous, as you noted. Also something that can will be able to
stand the test of time. There are a couple we programs that are being
evaluated. One being Request Tracker and Trellis Desk. Both are actively
developed and customizable.

A comparison would be appreciated. Any other suggestions are more than
welcome.

Bigpaws
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14
  Print  

Jump to: