VectorLinux
October 24, 2014, 06:28:45 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14
  Print  
Author Topic: VL pre-installed  (Read 47765 times)
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #75 on: May 14, 2007, 10:30:38 am »

If VL offers both free and paid support, the two support modes should be sufficiently different that the client doesnt come to the conclusion he is being conned, when he realizes that he could just as easily obtain free support. I suggest keeping the forum free, and setting up an email list for paid support.

This seems like a good direction to pursue. Many support services (paid or free) are offered in this manner. As nubcnubdo has pointed out the creativity will come in avoiding the appearance of "being conned". The service of the VL forum is so good that responding more efficiently to a paying customer may be difficult. What would/should not happen for the paid support is extensive time lapses before responses. Perhaps advising all users of the availability of the forum and accentuating whatever benefits paid support will provide (i.e. "hand-holding" until resolution of the problem). Also making paid support a per incident option as opposed to a time limited option. Thus the "choice" concern is alleviated.

An example: If I have a problem then I can decide if I want a support person to be available by email (or other communication option) and pay for that support or "take my chances" and the extra time that using the forum would risk.

What cannot happen is for the VL community to not answer the forum in the hope that someone will opt to use paid support. Not that anyone here would take that approach. Of course there are lots of details to work out but that would be one "solution" that may work for VL.
Mike

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #76 on: May 14, 2007, 10:51:05 am »

An email list would provide better accountability and management of an incident. Also, the client might see email as being more comfortable, private, and personal with one-on-one contact, rather than the free-for-all of a forum. With an email list we avoid conflicts or dissatisfaction being aired on the forum. (Stuff like: Windows is so much easier than Linux, I'm going back to Windows.)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 11:13:59 am by nubcnubdo » Logged
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #77 on: May 14, 2007, 12:15:54 pm »

It looks to me as though people are getting the wrong idea here. NOBODY is taking away the free forums. Nobody is charging for what is the free forum. The suggestion of a special part of the forum for buyers is what's be talked about. This is exactly what I was trying to say in a much nicer way in my long winded post above. Get the hint now?  Wink

But consider these scenarios metvas posted:
"Scenario three: A customer dwnlds our free base version. They will have the option to have pre-paid support if they wish to have it at an extra cost to them for a given time. Or pay a lesser nominal amount to use the existing forum. Amounts are not known but would be minimal.

"Scenario four: A customer purchases a CD of VL  Deluxe or base from a re-seller for $1.99 or whatever that customer will have the option for pre-paid support. Or a nominal amount to visit the existing forum. As above"

Those scenarios *clearly* put forth the idea that someone who downloads the free version would have to "pay a lesser nominal amount to use the existing forum." The same would be true for someone who purchased a cheap CD from one of the places like edmunds-enterprises.com that sells CDs from the ISO image that is available for free download.

That sounds like those of us already forum members would be grandfathered for continuing free access, but people using the free version who are not already forum members would have to pay a "nominal amount" to use the forum.

If this is a serious proposal, many of us are saying NO WAY. There *must* continue to be a free forum accessible to anyone where questions may be asked and forum members will try to help. Paid support should be IN ADDITION TO, not instead of, the current free support and excellent user support forum.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #78 on: May 14, 2007, 12:27:38 pm »

It amazes me that the responses are that someone is getting taken
advantage of. Comments that answers on the forum will take longer in
order to force someone for pay for support. That refusing
to give good or accurate answers or such types of comments are
rubbish. This is the type of FUD that should not even be posted.

Please read the entire post without reading what is not posted.

There are free live chat support web sites out there. Does this mean
that Vector should not try it. Does it mean that because someone
else offers it for free mean Vector is trying to take advantage? The
answer is no. Please remember this started from an offer from MadTux
that they or we would start  offering paid support.

There is thick plot to destroy or cripple this community or forum.
Bigpaws

« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 12:30:00 pm by bigpaws » Logged
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #79 on: May 14, 2007, 12:41:33 pm »

It amazes me that the responses are that someone is getting taken
advantage of. Comments that answers on the forum will take longer in
order to force someone for pay for support. That refusing
to give good or accurate answers or such types of comments are
rubbish. This is the type of FUD that should not even be posted.

Please read the entire post without reading what is not posted.

There are free live chat support web sites out there. Does this mean
that Vector should not try it. Does it mean that because someone
else offers it for free mean Vector is trying to take advantage? The
answer is no. Please remember this started from an offer from MadTux
that they or we would start  offering paid support.

There is thick plot to destroy or cripple this community or forum.
Bigpaws

I totally agree with this.. seems like people are already making the FUD about plots of forum crippling, and such. It is ridiculous! If you read through the forum (as bigpaws suggested), you will see where things were corrected about. We're not an evil community, why would we want to even make such suggestions of plots to cripple anything? VL gives great support as it is now for free. With that in mind, wouldn't you think that even better support for someone who pays would be the ticker? rather than dreaming up it's a plot to rip them off? If you were going to pay for something, wouldn't you want your money's worth?  Wouldn't you expect to receive something better than the otherwise free option?

Come on people, if you think you're such an evil community that you would plot to rip off a paying user, then such it is that you are. But are you really? Or are you the same friendly people that would offer your top notch support as normal?
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #80 on: May 14, 2007, 01:07:36 pm »

mikecindi:
The service of the VL forum is so good that responding more efficiently to a paying customer may be difficult.

...good point. It would be hard to top VL's service.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 01:19:34 pm by nubcnubdo » Logged
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #81 on: May 14, 2007, 04:40:04 pm »

Come on people, if you think you're such an evil community that you would plot to rip off a paying user, then such it is that you are. But are you really? Or are you the same friendly people that would offer your top notch support as normal?

I think there is a wide gap in the communication. I have not read in any of the posts that any current VL forum member would try to deceive or otherwise take advantage of a new VL user. There is a strong, and as of yet unestablished, concern that a new user who paid for support may FEEL cheated if they were to receive a service that is too similar to free services already offered. There are many excellent users that participate in this forum and whose knowledge base is extensive enough to help others greatly but most, myself included, would feel intimidated to meet the perceived greater expectation of a paying VL user. While I would offer my experience freely (as is the current situation) and would want to help with "paid support" (again freely) I would be concerned about giving erroneous information. This is perhaps a misfounded concern in myself and others who want to help but if you do it wrong now it is "safe" on the current forum. If you do it wrong for someone who has paid for VL (not me) to get it right then there is a problem as that individual would probably see VL as the problem instead of me being the problem. I am not trying to speak for others but gather from the posts that I have expressed many concerns accurately. If I am wrong please enlighten me (I have thick skin Tongue).

I want VL to pursue this option and in the excellence of the current forum making it better will be difficult but NOT impossible. Thus I refer back to my suggestion of per incident support through and email response. A paying user logs in to submit their problem and then the email is sent to the individual(s) who cover that support area and within a set time frame a response is given.
Mike
« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 04:42:55 pm by mikecindi » Logged

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
metvas
Vectorite

« Reply #82 on: May 14, 2007, 09:54:21 pm »

Well, seems I missed a lot while working with Arvind at MadTux. On the high performance machines. Not that I solved the problem I think it was uelsk8s. Thanks Uel. At any rate at a time like this the other partner in this case MadTux, just wants someone around in this case Vector to rant on if they wish.
So that is what I was doing, taking the heat and keeping things cool. So looks that due to time constraints we will be going with an invisible board only seen by pre-paid members and the admins, or at least something like that with IRC as well. I still feel the community needs some sort of protection. Once we jump into the corporate realm Mr. Ugly Dick, is certain to arrive, maybe not right away but anyway think about that. He will try to trip us up every chance he gets.
OK, the only issue I have regarding our product now is the re-sellers who sell what we do for $1.99. They do nothing get paid. We don’t. We get the requests for tech help that still bothers me. Is there anyone else that bothers? The dwnld customers well OK let them stay for free, or have the option to upgrade to pre-paid if they wish.
Anyway this option should leave things as they are for the current forum.
Everyone satisfied with that? Well not everyone even Jesus could not keep everyone happy.
We can move on to the ideas for fundraising, after we have nailed this pre-paid thing down.
Thanks for all your comments as it allows all of us to see whom the other is, that is part of being a community, it’s strengths always lay in it’s diversity.
Regards
Darrell

Knowledge is Power, share it.
Be the change you want to see in the World
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #83 on: May 14, 2007, 10:21:53 pm »

I want VL to pursue this option and in the excellence of the current forum making it better will be difficult but NOT impossible. Thus I refer back to my suggestion of per incident support through and email response. A paying user logs in to submit their problem and then the email is sent to the individual(s) who cover that support area and within a set time frame a response is given.
Mike

That's absolutely reasonable.

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
metvas
Vectorite

« Reply #84 on: May 14, 2007, 10:28:32 pm »

Holly Shamuzzel:
Do I see progess? Maybe I should stay away more often. Uhh..
that's a joke, don't even start on that one.
Regards
Darrell

metvas
Vectorite

« Reply #85 on: May 14, 2007, 10:59:40 pm »

Hello All:
Check out MadTux site..Vector Linux PC's now for sale.
regards
Darrell

Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #86 on: May 14, 2007, 11:43:03 pm »

Holly Shamuzzel:
Do I see progess? Maybe I should stay away more often. Uhh..
that's a joke, don't even start on that one.
Regards
Darrell

I knew this issue would be best settled with reasonable discourse, rather than jumping the gun and shouting.

Looks like (if this is an exceedingly rare occurrence in human history) discourse has prevailed for once...

metvas
Vectorite

« Reply #87 on: May 15, 2007, 12:13:33 am »

GrannyGeek wil like this one there are 26 synonyms for discourse.Soooo..what do you mean.
Could end up a long thread...
Anyway Happy to see cooperative progress.
regards
Darrell

easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #88 on: May 15, 2007, 12:29:39 am »

I hate to be the one stoking the "FUD", but what advantage will the second board present over the current one?
Who will be manning the second board?

[kicks himself] Lips sealed

Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #89 on: May 15, 2007, 12:40:55 am »

Guaranteed response time, I guess.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14
  Print