VectorLinux
October 01, 2014, 02:00:33 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14
  Print  
Author Topic: VL pre-installed  (Read 47164 times)
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #90 on: May 15, 2007, 03:23:05 am »

hate to be the one stoking the "FUD", but what advantage will the second board present over the current one?
Who will be manning the second board?

There is no FUD in your question. In fact this maybe a better answer.

The current state is another forum. The things that will be different
is that everyone will get answers. Not just the questions that are easy one line answers.
Expect more hand holding than on this forum. Which is very possible.

Vision a better one on one experience. Where a customer makes a contact for support,
a Vector Visionary (Just a pun) answers. Easy until the answer is not that easy ... hmmm.
Well the Visionary will go to every step with the customer until everything that can be done
is. If that means research or setting up a real time conversation then that is what will happen.

In customer service not everyone will be satisfied. Not all questions have a fix.
As long as everyone realizes it then things will be great.

The next question who will be manning the board. This is where those that are interested
come in to play.

Thoughts?

Bigpaws

metvas
Vectorite

« Reply #91 on: May 15, 2007, 07:23:27 am »

Hello:
Did you know that when Disney world first opened its doors to the public? They were laying turf in the entryway up to 10 minutes before they opened the doors. That was how close the time frame was. We are not a lot different. PC’s are for sale today with our name on it, and pre-paid support for those who wish to have it, we are still laying turf.
So if there is any interest now is the time to let bigpaws know about it.
Remember this is a new venture for us on all fronts. As such the only guarantee of success is what we make of it.
Regards
Darrell

Knowledge is Power, share it.
Be the change you want to see in the World
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #92 on: May 15, 2007, 08:52:36 am »

hate to be the one stoking the "FUD", but what advantage will the second board present over the current one?
Who will be manning the second board?

There is no FUD in your question. In fact this maybe a better answer.

The current state is another forum. The things that will be different
is that everyone will get answers. Not just the questions that are easy one line answers.
Expect more hand holding than on this forum. Which is very possible.

Vision a better one on one experience. Where a customer makes a contact for support,
a Vector Visionary (Just a pun) answers. Easy until the answer is not that easy ... hmmm.
Well the Visionary will go to every step with the customer until everything that can be done
is. If that means research or setting up a real time conversation then that is what will happen.

In customer service not everyone will be satisfied. Not all questions have a fix.
As long as everyone realizes it then things will be great.

The next question who will be manning the board. This is where those that are interested
come in to play.

Thoughts?

Bigpaws

I think we have the solution for now. But the advantage of the hide forum are good just for start and because time is against us. I think we need to improve this and will be more easy once the time problem is solved.
So my idea is: lets go with the hide forum for now, and keep this thread going to develope a better solution.
I start: with our gambas gurues leading us, we could develope a gui to send requests just from the desktop. The customer will receive an answer by email. Always the IRC and voice chating can be arranged between the customer and the support guy. We can set up the gambas gui to send the form via internet to a PHP script. The PHP script will process the info and make it avaible for the supporters via a website.
Just an idea.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
metvas
Vectorite

« Reply #93 on: May 15, 2007, 10:02:25 am »

I think we are all here to help.
regards
Darrell

LLL
Global Moderator
Vectorite

The sun is shining...

« Reply #94 on: May 15, 2007, 02:50:16 pm »

For those of you looking for VL on Madtux.org:

http://store.madtux.org/index.php?cPath=98

Well done!

LLL

Lost & Lovin' Linux...living on:
VectorLinux 6.0 with XFCE on Thinkpad T43p (2.13 GHz | 2GB | 60GB)
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #95 on: May 15, 2007, 03:04:05 pm »

For those of you looking for VL on Madtux.org:

http://store.madtux.org/index.php?cPath=98

Well done!

LLL

Damn! I am looking for a pc here in Argentina, and for that money I get a C3 500mhz PIII with 128mb, and of Ram  Angry

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
metvas
Vectorite

« Reply #96 on: May 15, 2007, 04:52:50 pm »

Ok step one accomplished. The board issue behind us except for the actual implimentation of the tech help. Am I on the right page. If not now may be a good time to let us all know so we can move on to actual accomplishment of step 2. Time is not on our side but those who have contacted me think this week we could be up with a front end and attached database. All in PHP sweet.
thxs
regards
Darrell

wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #97 on: May 15, 2007, 04:53:22 pm »

I start: with our gambas gurues leading us, we could develope a gui to send requests just from the desktop. The customer will receive an answer by email. Always the IRC and voice chating can be arranged between the customer and the support guy. We can set up the gambas gui to send the form via internet to a PHP script. The PHP script will process the info and make it avaible for the supporters via a website.
Just an idea.

Sounds like a great idea to me. If it works well, it will be quick, functional and, well,... "supportive".
Personally, I can imagine myself paying for that if I accumulate a couple of non-solved problems...

(of course, like everyone has said already: this forum truly IS great and it is difficult to get many non-solved problems)
metvas
Vectorite

« Reply #98 on: May 15, 2007, 05:57:39 pm »

Hello All;
Spoke at length with bigpaws on the plans to implement this “second” board. The idea of using simplemachines has to be tossed out due to its unreliability in posting information in a timely fashion and a regular basis. So that idea is out for sure. We can thank bigpaws for brining this to the forefront. Thanks, a real eye opener. If anyone has been talking to anyone about this idea please contact them and let them know...
Regards
Darrell

LLL
Global Moderator
Vectorite

The sun is shining...

« Reply #99 on: May 15, 2007, 06:25:26 pm »

An article on fundraising for open-source projects:

http://www.madpenguin.org/cms/?m=show&id=7876

Lost & Lovin' Linux...living on:
VectorLinux 6.0 with XFCE on Thinkpad T43p (2.13 GHz | 2GB | 60GB)
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #100 on: May 15, 2007, 09:11:14 pm »

An article on fundraising for open-source projects:

http://www.madpenguin.org/cms/?m=show&id=7876

That's talking about raising money for projects, meaning things like drivers or import/export filters for a program or software to meet some need, etc. Our fundraising is for supporting a distro that is a business, not a non-profit organization or project.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
metvas
Vectorite

« Reply #101 on: May 15, 2007, 10:15:04 pm »

Yes GrannyGeek is correct on that. Lots to read there though. Maybe some good ideas willcome from it.
thxs
regards
Darrell

Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #102 on: May 16, 2007, 01:42:09 am »

What, We can't read it an maybe improvise to fit the situation?  Wink
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #103 on: May 16, 2007, 03:00:49 pm »

I installed the eTickets helpdesk system on a free server to demo it as promised, but found that anyone registered or not could open up a help ticket.  According to the forum that won't be fixed.  I suppose with some time I could implement but I wouldn't unless we were serious about using it for VL.

I installed many helpdesk systems on my local server and found one that really catches my eye and really think could work very well for us.  It's BEAUTIFUL, loaded with features, and looks very professional.

It's called "Trellis Desk" http://www.iftomatoes.com/products/trellis-desk

The user can get support via the browser based help system, or by email.  But for the staff it all looks the same.  They see the help tickets through their control panel and can answer or browse them.  Seems like it will be easy to track the help tickets so everyone can tell at a glance what is getting worked on, or hasn't even been looked at.

To customize it seems pretty standard.  Bunches of html/php templates edited via the control panel. 

The permissions system looks great.  You can control access to all the features and areas for customers, staff, and admin.

Here's some screenshots of it running on my xampp server:

#1 Is what the admin sees upon log in.
#2 Admin reading a ticket
#3 What a un-logged-in person would see at the front door.
#3 Customer logs in. Showing their controls and that one ticket is pending.
#5 A logged in customer just starting to open a help ticket.
#6 A customers view of filling out a help ticket.
#7 After ticket is submitted, back it goes to customer controls and now there is two tickets.

Total install including adding new table and user to mySQL was about 10 minutes.  Customizing will take more naturally.  But besides changing text files and the logo's, how hard can it be?  BTW It's also open source so the price is right.

I still feel pretty strong VL should use a "help desk" type tool rather than a forum.  It has a more confident and professional feel to it.
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #104 on: May 16, 2007, 03:24:33 pm »

I still feel pretty strong VL should use a "help desk" type tool rather than a forum.  It has a more confident and professional feel to it.
I agree. A dedicated tool will go a long way towards organizing things and help maintain the appropriate response time.

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14
  Print  

Jump to: