VectorLinux
April 15, 2014, 09:40:01 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14
  Print  
Author Topic: VL pre-installed  (Read 42839 times)
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2007, 11:25:54 am »

I'd be willing to help.  I'm like exeterdad, not a pro at PHP but experienced enough to offer help - though it does look like the portal has been setup Huh
metvas
Vectorite

« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2007, 01:18:28 pm »

Hello All:
we have gotten a long way on this in the last few days. We plan to post our progress on the board next week, the main developer right now is a user of VL from Sweden.Niklas, I did the front end in what I would call mediocre html. He will also clean that up. Sent an organizational chart to him to see a vision of what we will need. From there we can all have a look at it all. I feel very confident of his abilities and want to afford him all the assistance we can give.
I was putting out there a "message", that I in particular was in great need of lots of help on this. A few days later Niklas,(a 4.0 user) came to our forum for the first time in years had the skills saw the post and the rest is history...therefore the power of intention, "just do it". Thank-you Niklas..I am so very grateful.

regards
Darrell

Knowledge is Power, share it.
Be the change you want to see in the World
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2007, 02:26:23 pm »

Thank-you Niklas..I am so very grateful.
"So say we all..."

Sorry, I just can't resist that quote wherever it's fitting... Grin

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2007, 02:50:16 pm »

Hello All:
we have gotten a long way on this in the last few days. We plan to post our progress on the board next week, the main developer right now is a user of VL from Sweden.Niklas, I did the front end in what I would call mediocre html. He will also clean that up. Sent an organizational chart to him to see a vision of what we will need. From there we can all have a look at it all. I feel very confident of his abilities and want to afford him all the assistance we can give.

Gratis or no, I might be able to help with document typesetting and programming—depends on what you need.

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
aint_me

« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2007, 04:12:10 pm »

Hi
I just recently registred on this "new" forum, I suspect that no one will remember me
from the old one.
I guess I am what you would call a "returning VL user" (still running 4.3 on my old laptop tho),
been playing around with other distros awhile, but now I'm back to stay.
...and you are welcome guys, I'm just glad to be able to help out,

Regards
/Niklas
metvas
Vectorite

« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2007, 06:41:16 am »

Hello All;
Well seems that Niklas has had a change of heart on this project. We thank him for trying. So we are on our own again. No worries been here before. First and foremost. Does anyone have any info on the “register” function on our usr forum? That has to be disabled so we can send psswds and usr names only once pre-paid. Or at least lock that link and come in through a front end. Have the front end done now. Any info would be appreciated. The automated pre-paid help page will get done on the fly.
Regards
Darrell

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2007, 07:50:46 am »

I think we can do this as a team work. Things that we need:

1. A mysql db with one table with three columns
a. user_code
b. username
c. password
may be you want to add some info fields, like email or whatever

2. A php script doing:
a. connect to the database
b. process a form with u/p
c. redirect to secure zone or to login.

3. A php script doing:
a. add new users to the database.
b. other administrative task, i dont know what is needed

4. some php code to validate each secure page, redirecting to login when needed

I will propose some ways to do this if I can make the time, but a good start is actually knowing what is needed, I am not a pro, so, I cant do this with no help.
metvas, do you have the script to take the support request, send the mail, etc, etc?

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
metvas
Vectorite

« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2007, 08:02:00 am »

Hello:
Just got this from bigpaws. I am reading through ti now.
http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=237
Have a gander at it.
regards
Darrell

Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2007, 07:45:34 pm »

Hello All;
Well seems that Niklas has had a change of heart on this project. We thank him for trying. So we are on our own again. No worries been here before. First and foremost. Does anyone have any info on the “register” function on our usr forum? That has to be disabled so we can send psswds and usr names only once pre-paid. Or at least lock that link and come in through a front end. Have the front end done now. Any info would be appreciated. The automated pre-paid help page will get done on the fly.
Regards
Darrell

You can set up a new place for payees, then setup each individual payee with access to that part of the forum. Nobody else (besides selected moderators and admins) will even see the section, so otherwise won't even notice it being there.

Not sure if that's what you were specifically looking for or not.
metvas
Vectorite

« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2007, 08:01:40 pm »

Hello masta:
Yes, that is it pretty much it looked up a thread on simplemachines support site and was waiting for a response for just that function and how tp impliment it. Seems you read my mind on that one, lol (not much to read).
I do not have admin. rights to our forum is this a major deal or?
Are you able to impliment that function. If so i can manually administer psswds and expiry dates here, until we find something more functional.
Please let me know what work will be involved from your side.
Thanks much going live at Madtux this weekend with the VL machine.
Best regards
Darrell

metvas
Vectorite

« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2007, 09:38:20 pm »

Hello rbistolfi:

Seems at this juncture in time the simplest solution would be to use what we have then build on that.
I was on simplemachines board and came across a thread that taked about what masta is suggesting.
What we will need to enhance that is your solution with a database that will create, track and delete psswds/usr names. Would be great to attach to Paypal's API but I thhink that is in the future. We will see.
I have an organizational chart that I had made up for Niklas. I will send it to you for a gander. It will open in AbiWord or OO.
Thxs much
regards
Darrell

metvas
Vectorite

« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2007, 11:31:43 pm »

Hello All:
Just thought of this. The board we currently have for the Community will always exist as it is. Those of us already included will stay included. Would it not work better if we hide the existing forum and showed the new pre-paid forum?Huh That is if this is what we end up doing for now.
Just a thought.... any comments or suggestions.
Regards
Darrell

The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2007, 03:19:41 am »

Those of us already included will stay included. Would it not work better if we hide the existing forum and showed the new pre-paid forum?Huh That is if this is what we end up doing for now.
That's just not right man  Angry, you can't do that! The VL community is one of the great pro's of this little distro. You can't (shouldn't) hide that, it's one of our great advantages over other distro's.

If the prepaid techsupport is going to be just another forum (or even a part of the same as you seem to suggest) there is no way to justify asking people to pay for it. I'd be really upset if I was a paying customer and got just a forum. 

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
metvas
Vectorite

« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2007, 05:11:12 am »

Just an idea as I said..
Darrell

MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2007, 09:21:25 am »

I would have to agree with The Headacher. One of the strongest points (see my other posts on this subject of VL's community) of VL is the extreme user-friendliness exhibited in the forum. I've participated in a few others and read dozens of others and there is no comparison IMHO. To hide or otherwise restrict it would hurt VL tremendously.
Mike

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14
  Print  

Jump to: