VectorLinux
July 22, 2014, 07:25:01 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Vector Linux - I Keep Coming Back  (Read 6842 times)
raven

Never more!

« on: April 28, 2007, 01:03:27 pm »

I used Vector Linux a couple of years ago with an older computer because it was one of the few distributions that would run effectively.  Since then, I have gotten really miffed at Microsoft, especially when upgrading from IE6 to IE7.  What a waste of memory and resources!  I had to upgrade my RAM from 256 Mb to 1 GB just because MS forced me into it.  This brings on the possibility of upgrading to VISTA.  It ain't going to happen.

I have installed Linux in a dual boot configuration, and am using it, so that when MS stops supporting XP I will be ready to completely transition to Vector Linux without much pain.

I have tried MEPIS, and it works well having a good inventory of applications.  However, I do like Vector, and with the new SOHO release, it is an easy transition from Windows XP.  There are a couple of glitches, like, how in the world do I use Amarok?  It is not as intuitive as they say.  Anyway if that is my worst complaint, then everything else is trivial.

The Vector 5.8 RC3 SOHO version was easier to install than the previous one.  The video would barf on the last version install, and this one installed in about 10 minutes, more or less with no problems!  I like the text-based installer. 

Thanks for a really good looking distribution of Vector Linux.  It looks good, works good, works fast, and hopefully, will last a long time.

The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2007, 02:26:06 pm »

Welcome back ! I too use VL and winXP. I'll probably keep using XP as only windows on this box, since I have the license. Just like I still have windows200 pro on my old box because I have the license for it.

Beware though, VL is extremely contagious! I used to have just one install. Now I have 4 installs on just this computer (1 for daily use, one for packaging and 2 for testing) , my other computers have VL on them too and it recently found it's way onto a friends laptop.

Oh, and the installer is nice indeed. I can install VL in about 20 minutes. A lot of distro's can only dream about that.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 06:41:08 am »

I can install VL in about 20 minutes. A lot of distro's can only dream about that.

I did a recent install of VL SOHO 5.8 RC3 on my AMD XP3200 machine, AN7X motherboard, 512MB of PC2500 RAM and a 52x CDROM drive. It took just less than 12 minutes.

That is truly incredible for a KDE based distro.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 05:04:53 pm »

Quote from: lagagnon
I did a recent install of VL SOHO 5.8 RC3 on my AMD XP3200 machine, AN7X motherboard, 512MB of PC2500 RAM and a 52x CDROM drive. It took  just less than 12 minutes.

I never used a stopwatch. I could try in a few days, and see how fast it really installs. My cpu is slightly slower, but I have more ram and install from .iso not some optical disc.

My point was, that I can have a fresh install and add whatever I want in less time than it takes to install other distro's. "Our" text based install might look primitive compared to some gui installers, but it's fast as a shark!

I'm sure it took less then 20 minutes to install this SOHO. I'm not sure how long it took to reconfigure everything to my liking.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2007, 06:30:24 pm »

I have been using slackware for quite some years. When early this year I checked VectorLinux I nearly immediately moved over. Have not seen a distro which installs that fast w/o any hickups und sooo user friendly one understands immediately what is required.
As for the fast install one has to put into consideration the time needed to add additional programs, that takes a few more minutes.
On my old computer which is used by the kids when on vacation I installed now VL too and the eldest (15) is just delighted normally being used to Windoof. (doof is German for dumb).

In 1998 I used Wdoof for 6 months coming from DOS. What a shocker. Came Linux, RedHat 5.2, and for ever goodby to WD for me.
keyfitter

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2007, 06:48:01 pm »

I have installed Linux in a dual boot configuration, and am using it, so that when MS stops supporting XP I will be ready to completely transition to Vector Linux without much pain.

My transition from XP was done a long time ago. Vector Linux has been my main OS since January
of this year.  Before that, it was SuSE and Scientific Linux. Even though my processor is an AMD64-
3200+,  with  two gigs of RAM and a good video card, Bill Gate's Vista bloatware will never be on this
computer.
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2007, 07:15:58 pm »

My transition from XP was done a long time ago. Vector Linux has been my main OS since January
of this year.  Before that, it was SuSE and Scientific Linux. Even though my processor is an AMD64-
3200+,  with  two gigs of RAM and a good video card, Bill Gate's Vista bloatware will never be on this
computer.

Wow, nice machine. A friend has a 64bit cpu, and he asked for me about a 64bits distro. He does multimedia editing in a professional way, and he wants to improve render time and those kind of things. I thougth "Scientific Linux", but I really dont know about 64 bits distros, would you recommend Sci, or another?

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2007, 11:18:41 pm »

On my old computer which is used by the kids when on vacation I installed now VL too and the eldest (15) is just delighted normally being used to Windoof. (doof is German for dumb).

We had a game in German class that was essentially a variant of the 'bollocks' game, as they call it on the other side of the pond. For those of you not familiar with German, the appeal of the games owes to the pronunciation of 'doof', which rhymes with 'oaf'.

Doof!

Your turn...

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: