VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25]

Author Topic: VL reviews, mentions, etc...  (Read 167694 times)

M0E-lnx

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: VL reviews, mentions, etc...
« Reply #360 on: August 17, 2015, 06:32:32 am »

We got a review of Vector 7.1 in Distrowatch

It seems the reviewer did not read through the installer though and ended up not setting a root password, characterized as a 'security concern'.  Also, people obsessed with debian's ton of *-dev pkgs look at our few thousand packages available and think we dont have enough... This reviewer also mentions that we only have 3 thousand some pkgs, but interestingly enough, the thing has everything he needs on boot ;)

Other than that, and calling us 'visually dated', I think it's a fair review.  See for yourself!.

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20150817#vector

« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 06:34:08 am by M0E-lnx »

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #361 on: August 17, 2015, 07:59:06 am »

Not bad. I have not tried to skip the user and password creation page during install. Could he have just clicked through without entering anything?

M0E-lnx

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #362 on: August 17, 2015, 08:35:36 am »

Not bad. I have not tried to skip the user and password creation page during install. Could he have just clicked through without entering anything?
That may be what he did... Although it says he logged in as user and then changed the root password... I wonder if his user account had a ow or not.

crum

• Vectorite
« Reply #363 on: August 17, 2015, 08:55:59 am »

Read review,not bad. Liked nightflier response about security,I think reviewer clicked right past. Nice going nightflier. For all the developers, 7.1 STD "works for me."

sledgehammer

• Vectorian
« Reply #364 on: August 17, 2015, 05:55:33 pm »

He probably expected a requirement that the password be entered twice and, as nightflier says, just went past the screen asking for both a root and user password.  I almost did that first time I loaded 7.1.  I gather the load continues even if no root password is entered.  If so and if he's right that a root password is necessary for security, the installer help info could warn users that installing without a root password is dangerous. 
VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511

rbistolfi

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #365 on: August 18, 2015, 09:50:45 am »

Opened an issue for the root password problem:

https://bitbucket.org/VLCore/vinstall/issues/39/force-root-password-setup

We will fix it for 7.2. Thanks to the reviewer for the input!
"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!

caitlyn

• Packager
  • Vectorian
    • The Linux Works
« Reply #366 on: August 27, 2015, 04:07:51 pm »

This is what attracted me to Vector Linux in the first place years ago.  The developers don't get angry or take criticism personally.  They thank people for their input, roll up their sleeves and fix the problems if they are real.  This is so very different than some distros where any criticism is treated as the equivalent of shooting the family dog.
eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1

Lyn

• Vectorian
« Reply #367 on: August 28, 2015, 12:43:27 am »

Agreed!

wigums

• Packager
  • Packager
  • Vectorite
« Reply #368 on: August 28, 2015, 09:33:23 am »

it happens quite alot ive found, that people enter the user password twice when in actuallity the 2 fields are 1 for user and 1 for root passwords
When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.

rbistolfi

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #369 on: August 28, 2015, 07:55:02 pm »

Here is a proposal for the password problem:

https://bitbucket.org/VLCore/vinstall/pull-requests/27/fix-issue-39-installer-allows-a-blank-root/diff

It disables the next button in the installer until a root password is provided.
"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!

M0E-lnx

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #370 on: Today at 06:43:47 am »

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25]