VectorLinux
November 25, 2014, 01:45:40 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New groovy Vector Linux Newbie from UK  (Read 5541 times)
Precursor

« on: May 03, 2007, 01:13:23 pm »

Hello to all!  Kiss

I'm from Poland. I'm currently living in Leeds since almost 18 months.My native language is Polish but since I arrived to UK,I started to understand  English more than I've expected. Wink

I discovered Vector Linux on Polish website http://jakilinux.org about 10 weeks ago and about 10 minutes ago I've installed Vector Linux 5.8 RC3 on my Athlon 700MHz with 128MB ram.I'm using KDE environment which made me a Big suprise.Is working faster on my computer than Xubuntu 7.04 .

Oh my Gosh Vector Linux is bitchin!!! Cool

Cheers and greetings to all and specially for all developers and support peoples!
That's really fantastic job mates!

See ya everyday!  Wink

"I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do." - HAL 9000
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 12:46:24 pm »

Hi and welcome, glad you are enjoying Vector :-)
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 04:14:36 pm »

Hello Precursor!
Welcome to the VL forum.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Andy Price
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 07:19:23 pm »

Hi Precursor

Enjoy your time in my old home town... is there still a Polish Club up in Roundhay? We used to get good gołąbki and pierogi there  Smiley
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2007, 07:29:59 pm »

Hi Precursor

Enjoy your time in my old home town... is there still a Polish Club up in Roundhay? We used to get good gołąbki and pierogi there  Smiley

Nice diacritic marks...

Oh, and welcome Precursor! Dzień dobry!

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
Precursor

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 01:39:29 pm »

Hi Precursor

Hi Andy.Hm...I don't know this place.There's a Polish Community Centre with Catholic Church in Moor Allerton area.I've been there maybe twice Smiley

I'm glad that you love pierogi and golabki Smiley
I like yorkshire pudding very much,pastry and jacket potatoes with tuna Smiley That's really fizzy food  Wink

Taa Luv for good words!

"I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do." - HAL 9000
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2007, 02:28:13 pm »

Welcome to the forum Precursor! I live in the UK too.
blurymind
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2007, 09:30:14 am »

welcome...and if you have any questions or problems,dont hesitate to ask. VL comunity is the blood of this distro,and everybody is here to support the others. Smiley

status: playing around with new tablet and learning to 3d :p
google page :  http://blurymind.googlepages.com
DA PAGE :  http://www.blurymind.deviantart.com/
Precursor

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2007, 04:28:30 am »

welcome...and if you have any questions or problems,dont hesitate to ask. VL comunity is the blood of this distro,and everybody is here to support the others. Smiley

Ta pet!  Wink
I'll do my best since now because I've been loged out there somewhere too long  Smiley
Thanks for shaking my hand blurymind!

caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2007, 01:00:19 pm »

First, welcome! 

My grandmother was from what was Poland when she was born.  (It's in Belarus today.)  Sadly I never learned any Polish.  I would dearly love to be able to read Stanislaw Lem in the original language though I've been told Michael Kandel's translations to English manage to preserve the humor in the way Lem intended.

As far as I know we don't have anyone doing Polish translation for VL.  If you are ever inclined to help out you'd be more than welcome.

Enjoy Vector Linux!  It is, indeed, one of the fastest distros out there.

-Cait

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
Precursor

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2007, 01:34:54 pm »

First, welcome! 

My grandmother was from what was Poland when she was born.  (It's in Belarus today.)  Sadly I never learned any Polish.  I would dearly love to be able to read Stanislaw Lem in the original language though I've been told Michael Kandel's translations to English manage to preserve the humor in the way Lem intended.

As far as I know we don't have anyone doing Polish translation for VL.  If you are ever inclined to help out you'd be more than welcome.

Enjoy Vector Linux!  It is, indeed, one of the fastest distros out there.

-Cait

Hey caithlyn I'm delighted Smiley

Just about three days ago I was wondering about asking for support with translations.Year ago I did manual's and instruction's translations for  IT company.Hardware stuff like access points,routers and wireless antennas.That was a part of my previous job.Currently my head is not busy so I'm fully able to get a challenge Smiley

Had your grandma any other ancestors then Polish beacuse I know that Belarus used to be multicultural place with heritage of many cultures and religions.

Full respect and regards
[ Precursor ] 

caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2007, 01:54:47 pm »

Had your grandma any other ancestors then Polish beacuse I know that Belarus used to be multicultural place with heritage of many cultures and religions.

Our family is Jewish.  My grandmother also considered herself Polish.  Polish was her first language and the only one she ever really spoke well.  Her Yiddish, the dominant language in my family, was mixed with Polish words always.  She lived in France (where she met my grandfather) and there in the U.S. and could just about get by in either French or English, but always with some Polish mixed in Smiley

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

Precursor

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2007, 02:01:22 pm »

Our family is Jewish.  My grandmother also considered herself Polish.  Polish was her first language and the only one she ever really spoke well.  Her Yiddish, the dominant language in my family, was mixed with Polish words always.  She lived in France (where she met my grandfather) and there in the U.S. and could just about get by in either French or English, but always with some Polish mixed in Smiley

I'm asking beacuse my girlfriend is doing some research in Jewish culture and history.From which town was your grandma come if you don't mind?

caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2007, 08:51:28 pm »

She came from BrestLitovsk.

Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2007, 09:31:42 pm »

Her Yiddish, the dominant language in my family, was mixed with Polish words always.

Although I don't know it, Yiddish kicks ass. It would be difficult to out-awesome a Germanic language with heavy Semitic overtones (and Hebrew script).

Velar fricatives FTW

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: