VectorLinux
October 31, 2014, 01:44:50 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: SoHo v5.8 needs a name  (Read 11979 times)
metvas
Vectorite

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2007, 10:46:37 pm »

Hi:
Was looking at a site and a word caught my eye it was Velocity.
I immediatley got this in my head.

VLoscity Dleuxe Gold Edition..

any one want to play with that to see what happens?
regards
Darrell

Knowledge is Power, share it.
Be the change you want to see in the World
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2007, 12:41:12 am »

metvas, it's great that you have some time to invest in VL now, but do you have to try to change everything around here?
VL was fine the way it was the last 2 years (the time I've used it). If it ain't broken, don't fix it!

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2007, 02:31:18 am »

metvas, it's great that you have some time to invest in VL now, but do you have to try to change everything around here?
VL was fine the way it was the last 2 years (the time I've used it). If it ain't broken, don't fix it!

Please don't be too harsh...

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2007, 03:11:49 am »

5.8 SOHO Gold's fine by me too.
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2007, 12:48:12 pm »

Gold is good.  We could just stick with Gold for final releases.... Alpha, Beta1, Beta2, RC1, RC2, ..., GOLD!

When a version makes gold you know it's good Grin

Good as gold! Wink

Very good point.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
metvas
Vectorite

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2007, 08:12:20 pm »

Hello All:
I was anticipating a response from someone on my presence lately. Headacher, I am sorry you feel that way. Nothing I have contributed lately was in any way made to make folks feel uncomfortable In fact the furthest point from there is where my intentions rest.
I have always been around. Regularly reading the forum. Staying in the background. Any skills I had were met and often exceeded by the community. That is;” not fixing it if it aint broken”.  So I stayed in the background.
A lot has to happen to make VL operate as it has for the last 8 years. I do all that. I also promote and partner as I can with the meagre resources I have. Book keeping, taxes, CD shipments, CD graphics, returns, complaints, questions not technical in nature directed to me about VL and cover any associated costs.
The idea of pre-installing VL is not new. We tried to get it off the ground by installing on an hd then shipping the hd ready to go this was in 2000. Since then exploring opportunities for VL has been time consuming and as we cannot afford to buy that service like Ubantu can, someone has to do it and it gets done.
I could have just forged ahead with all I have been talking about made a deal and took a percentage, sweet. But I didn’t I brought to the Vector Linux community to discuss and decide on as a community. If there is an opportunity to ethically make a few dollars and pay it back into the community, for me this is not an option but a requirement for the community to benefit from and be a partner in.
So, that time has finally come VL is going to be pre-installed on machines, available on pen drives, DVD and of course CD-r, or downloaded ISO. We also will have pre-paid tech support. With automated psswd and usr name function. Next transformation?
I would never have said “yes”, I think that will all happen 7 years ago, never. It all happened one small step at a time. Things have to change; we do not have a choice.
All this would not have happened without someone in the background watching and waiting, keeping a finger on the pulse of VL.
Now for the community, best bunch I have seen in along time both technically and personally. Best in the industry according to others. I would appreciate the honesty of all of you. If, you want things to stay in the background as they were that is were they will go. I will not be offended or upset in any way. But you have to be honest and you have to let me know. The one thing that will destroy our accomplishments to date will be in house bickering, and lack of cooperation.
Thanks to you all the VL Community.
Regards
Darrell

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2007, 09:57:24 pm »

Darrell,
I'm a little confused about what exactly is in the works. The following is my understanding:

** VectorLinux will be available preinstalled on some computers from MadTux. These computers will include individual support for VL. I assume this means a user who bought a VL computer would contact VL (e-mail? Special Web site?) and receive a prompt, personal answer or would be worked with until a solution was found. If this is correct, how long are they entitled to support? Three months? One year? Forever?

** VectorLinux purchased from VL's online store will include this tech support (e-mail or Web site). In addition to the present CDs and Deluxe downloadable images, VL will be available on USB pen drives and DVDs. Same question: how long are purchasers entitled to this special individual support?

**  People who download the free ISO or buy a cheap CD of the free ISO will be able to prepay for individual support (e-mail or special Web site). This would be an attractive option for users who need prompt and accurate answers, such as SOHO users, schools, small businesses, etc.

**  Traditional free support, such as this message board, HowTo's, and documentation, will continue as it is now.

Is my understanding correct? If not, what am I not understanding?
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
metvas
Vectorite

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2007, 10:40:10 pm »

Hi GrannyGeek really enjoy your posts.
Here is what I know:
The current plan only 1 day old and formed in one day. Is being worked on as we speak. A customer purchases a computer and chooses VL as its OS. Goes something like this. The base version of VL or SoHo will be installed free of charge. No further purchase is necessary. However should a customer purchase support for x days at $x.xx per x days, is up in the air due to all the dust cause by Ubantu and Dell the amount and duration will have to wait a few days or we may be to high or to low. Mad Tux would forward less a small fee, (to cover the costs of their servers), the purchase for that support. VL advises customer of site psswd and usr name and administers VL’s part.
If deluxe CD’s are ordered from our CD Store tech help will be free for x days. If base version purchase of tech help required for that service.
If downloaded elsewhere fee would apply for tech help if help is required.
If CD purchased for $1.99 from a reseller fee would apply as above.
All documents currently available on our site about installation and troubleshooting etc. are on any CD, and have been for a while now. This doc’s will stay on our site as well free of any charge.
That is as far as we have come on all of this. Cannot tell you more, as it has not happened yet.
Hope that answers your questions. Let me know if you need more info.
Regards
Darrell

SuSE-Refugee
Ex-Officio
Vectorite

Dude In The Snappy Hat

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2007, 08:12:01 am »

Puh-leeze!...

If I want a distro with some kid-friendly(and likewise-minded) moniker I'll find me some *ubuntu-crap.....

VECTOR-Linux: Says it all.

<Lame sig>
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2007, 08:43:20 am »

VECTOR-Linux: Says it all.
I agree...
Mike

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
blurymind
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2007, 09:00:08 am »

Gold is good.  We could just stick with Gold for final releases.... Alpha, Beta1, Beta2, RC1, RC2, ..., GOLD!

When a version makes gold you know it's good Grin

Good as gold! Wink

Very good point.

lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiezBJaEEq8
i like gooooold
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TatL4rMR2as

ok,humor aside. Gold is good.  Tongue

status: playing around with new tablet and learning to 3d :p
google page :  http://blurymind.googlepages.com
DA PAGE :  http://www.blurymind.deviantart.com/
metvas
Vectorite

« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2007, 09:47:50 am »

Well Hello SuSE Refugee

Long time!! How are things? Trust this meets you well.  You know Robert and I were talking and I said wonder how we can get SuSE’s attention? Robert said let’s start a thread about a name for SoHov5.8 that is sure to do it !!  LOL
Just kidding. Good to see you.
Regards
Darrell

SuSE-Refugee
Ex-Officio
Vectorite

Dude In The Snappy Hat

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2007, 07:53:54 pm »

Luring me with bad ideas, eh?
You evil, sneaky you!