VectorLinux
July 28, 2014, 04:07:44 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Installing full vectorlinux on a usb stick  (Read 19668 times)
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2007, 07:43:10 am »

OK, I guess I was right that it would need a ton of RAM. 

Hmmm.... That does leave the idea of remastering on the table, though.  Start with VL-Standard-Live and strip it down.  Create a VL-Live mini which, like Slax or GoblinX Mini, would fit on an 8cm mini-CDR and run in 512MB of RAM.  It might be fun to try and build that.

I still think an OS that fits entirely into a reasonable amount of ram (512MB for example) is the best choice for a USB stick.  A system loaded entirely into RAM absolutely flies.  Right now I can do it with Wolvix-Cub and AliXe.  It would be neat to have a version of VL that could do it too.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2007, 07:47:02 am »

if you start with a live version of VL you will have all the remastering script in the system already
they are in /root/.linux-live-x.x
just remove the dev packages and duplicate apps and run /root/.linux-live*/runme.sh and it will create your livecd
rumey

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2008, 05:01:55 am »

wow, this thread has seen some live after I last checked it out :-)

now to come back to my initial question:

can I install VL on a USB stick. My concern is that I can install extra software once the VL (on the USB) is running. Cause with Knoppix my problem was that I couldn't add new software to it.
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2008, 09:57:54 am »

wow, this thread has seen some live after I last checked it out :-)

now to come back to my initial question:

can I install VL on a USB stick. My concern is that I can install extra software once the VL (on the USB) is running. Cause with Knoppix my problem was that I couldn't add new software to it.
you can add as much extra software as the size of your usb stick will allow.
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2008, 04:30:03 pm »

You mentioned turning an old laptop into a picture frame...not sure what you desire but I put dsl in the cd drive and clicked install to usb and added gqview amoung others...on a 512 stick and run folders of pics full screen..the pointer hides automatically...imagemagick can resize and do the basic manips..this while awaiting the vl-usb...I desire to see this also..but dsl is smaller if you just want to run some slide shows on an old unit. and want the os on a thumb
cheers
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 04:31:56 pm by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: