VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Installing full vectorlinux on a usb stick  (Read 20927 times)

caitlyn

• Packager
  • Vectorian
    • The Linux Works
Re: Installing full vectorlinux on a usb stick
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2007, 08:43:10 am »

OK, I guess I was right that it would need a ton of RAM. 

Hmmm.... That does leave the idea of remastering on the table, though.  Start with VL-Standard-Live and strip it down.  Create a VL-Live mini which, like Slax or GoblinX Mini, would fit on an 8cm mini-CDR and run in 512MB of RAM.  It might be fun to try and build that.

I still think an OS that fits entirely into a reasonable amount of ram (512MB for example) is the best choice for a USB stick.  A system loaded entirely into RAM absolutely flies.  Right now I can do it with Wolvix-Cub and AliXe.  It would be neat to have a version of VL that could do it too.
eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1

uelsk8s

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2007, 08:47:02 am »

if you start with a live version of VL you will have all the remastering script in the system already
they are in /root/.linux-live-x.x
just remove the dev packages and duplicate apps and run /root/.linux-live*/runme.sh and it will create your livecd

rumey

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2008, 06:01:55 am »

wow, this thread has seen some live after I last checked it out :-)

now to come back to my initial question:

can I install VL on a USB stick. My concern is that I can install extra software once the VL (on the USB) is running. Cause with Knoppix my problem was that I couldn't add new software to it.

uelsk8s

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2008, 10:57:54 am »

wow, this thread has seen some live after I last checked it out :-)

now to come back to my initial question:

can I install VL on a USB stick. My concern is that I can install extra software once the VL (on the USB) is running. Cause with Knoppix my problem was that I couldn't add new software to it.
you can add as much extra software as the size of your usb stick will allow.

overthere

• Vectorian
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2008, 05:30:03 pm »

You mentioned turning an old laptop into a picture frame...not sure what you desire but I put dsl in the cd drive and clicked install to usb and added gqview amoung others...on a 512 stick and run folders of pics full screen..the pointer hides automatically...imagemagick can resize and do the basic manips..this while awaiting the vl-usb...I desire to see this also..but dsl is smaller if you just want to run some slide shows on an old unit. and want the os on a thumb
cheers
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 05:31:56 pm by overthere »
Everything Is Relative
Pages: 1 [2]