VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Wifi Switch won't work  (Read 325 times)

rbistolfi

• Packager
  • Vectorian
Re: Wifi Switch won't work
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2015, 06:24:33 pm »

You could try the wl driver:
Code: [Select]
# rmmod b43
# rmmod ssb
# modprobe wl
# depmod -a
"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!

rbistolfi

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2015, 06:28:41 pm »

Also, you could try "brute force" with rfkill:

# rfkill unblock all
"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."

--
Jumalauta!!

Train_Wreck77

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2015, 06:31:07 pm »

Ifconfig shows eth0 and Lo.

wigums

• Packager
  • Packager
  • Vectorite
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2015, 06:32:51 pm »

try rbistolfis suggestions but remember to su -  to root
When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.

Train_Wreck77

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2015, 06:38:20 pm »

Nothing happens when I put in rmmod b43/ssb and Depmod -a. When I put in modprobe it says "modprobe: FATAL: Module wl not found".

wigums

• Packager
  • Packager
  • Vectorite
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2015, 06:52:09 pm »

our broadcom-sta doesnt seem to have the wl module
When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.

rbistolfi

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2015, 07:01:57 pm »

Weird, I am using it here (still on RC3 in my work box though)

--
Jumalauta!!

rbistolfi

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2015, 07:14:11 pm »

-what is your kernel version?

# uname -r
Perhaps there is a problem with the broadcom package and your kernel

--
Jumalauta!!

Train_Wreck77

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2015, 07:16:41 pm »

rbistolfi

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2015, 07:26:17 pm »

This build has been failing or a while now! Somehow it went unnoticed. I will try to fix it tomorrow morning.

--
Jumalauta!!

roarde

• Vectorian
  • move the needle
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2015, 08:19:11 pm »

I could very, very easily be mistaken; but I think a standalone build of broadcom-sta will, and should always fail. It's built at the same time the kernel is, and the kernel-specific package of broadcom-sta needs to be used.

I see there's been work on this since the thread was started. A newer kernel has been rebuilt with broadcom-sta and similar packages having the kernel's version added to their name, rather than to their version. Me, I don't know if that's what will be set in stone for the future.

Please try this for now:
Download either
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-7.1/extra/n/broadcom-sta-6.30.223.248_3.18.16-x86-1vl71.txz
  -- or --
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/VL64-7.1/extra/n/broadcom-sta-6.30.223.248_3.18.14-x86_64-1vl71.txz
  depending on your processor.
Put the download somewhere that it can be accessed by, or copied to, your VL installation. I assume you're not downloading within VL when your connection doesn't work.

Boot VL and
removepkg broadcom-sta
upgradepkg --install-new /path/to/broadcom-sta-6.30.223.248_3.18.14-x86-1vl71.txz
depmod
Ideally, the last line is unneccesary because the package's doinst should handle it, and wl.ko doesn't have dependencies anyway. Running it doesn't hurt anything, and is the "belt and suspenders" approach.

If this works, add 'broadcom-sta' to the EXCLUDE= line near the top of /etc/slapt-get/slapt-getrc. Just tack on ',broadcom-sta' at the end of the line. That way the wrong broadcom-sta package won't be pulled next time you do --upgrade. If there is an actual upgrade to broadcom-sta for this kernel (doubtful), you can use the same 'upgradepkg' line to install that.

I have an ulterior motive here. I don't have a wifi device to test this with, and wish to know whether this works for various reasons. Feedback very much appreciated.
Robert
VL 7.1 Light

M0E-lnx

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2015, 04:41:07 am »

Roared is correct... This package is built at the same time as the kernel so the package you install must correspond to the kernel version you have running...

We did identify an issue with the package naming scheme for this type of packages which is why I triggered a new kernel build along with its related packages but the contents of the packages have not changed at all.
Pages: 1 [2]