VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: [SOLVED] printer intallation  (Read 573 times)

brian_c

• user
[SOLVED] printer intallation
« on: August 30, 2016, 07:18:44 am »

Hello, I'm new to slackware and was hoping someone could help me track down a printer driver for a canon pixma mg2950 wireless. There is a linux source file driver on the canon site but i don't know if that is appropriate, also if it is how do i go about installing it? Any help much appreciated, Brian.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 06:57:05 am by brian_c »

retired1af

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: printer intallation
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 01:52:35 pm »

Before you go nuts trying to install drivers, you may find that CUPS will recognize it by plugging it directly into the computer. After that, you should be able to set the wireless settings.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz

AugustinG

• user
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 06:10:24 am »

I hope you found the answer at your question!!! Good luck :)

brian_c

• user
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2016, 01:15:41 pm »

Sorry for the time gap but been away. I tried cups several times and it doesn't pick it up. I installed the deb pkg from canon on peppermint and it works a treat but before i installed the drivers i tried cups on peppermint and it never found the printer. A friend suggested i get the rpm drivers and use rpm2tgz then install the tgz drivers but he couldn't explain how to do it just he had seen someone else do it on slackware. Is this an option? and if so what cmds do i use as i have only ever used apt-get. Thanks for any help Brian.

rbistolfi

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2016, 01:52:01 pm »

Hi Brian,

Thats a good approach. Find your rpm and download it. Then open a terminal and type

Code: [Select]
$ rpm2tgz <filename.rpm> # Create a tgz from the rpm
$ su # Switch to root user
$ installpkg <filename.tgz> # install the tgz

HTH, Rodrigo
"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!

brian_c

• user
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2016, 06:55:32 am »

It worked, thanks. I noticed if you don't su before using installpkg you get a 'package not found' .It would be better if it said you need to be root to use it as i tried it without su (not reading your directions correctly) and was about to ask you how to install it. However, all ok now so thank you again, Brian.