VectorLinux
April 23, 2014, 04:00:32 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: SeaMonkey users: help test VL version of SeaMonkey theme  (Read 5590 times)
incognu
Packager
Vectorite

« on: May 11, 2007, 09:30:18 pm »

I'm updating my themes (Eurynome, Nereid and Nuvola), and making VL versions of each for use in Vector SeaMonkey packages.

They include VectorLinux throbbers, as well as some tweaks to make them more native-looking by default in GNU/Linux.  However, apart from some new icon work in some spots (bookmarks, for example) the look with the default VL subskins should be about the same as before.

Here is a small screenie:

I want to have the new versions ready by about the 20th, since SM 1.1.2 will probably be released soon afterwards.

If you'd like to test them, here is a link to the temporary download page for Eurynome:
http://www.mytempdir.com/1325587

To try it, first extract the new version.  Then, as root, backup your original eurynome theme file:
mv /opt/seamonkey/lib/seamonkey-1.1.1/chrome/eurynome.jar /opt/seamonkey/lib/seamonkey-1.1.1/chrome/eurynome-ORIG.jar

then, copy the new version into that directory:
cp eurynome.jar /opt/seamonkey/lib/seamonkey-1.1.1/chrome/eurynome.jar

This assumes you're using the latest SeaMonkey package; do this with SeaMonkey closed.

Let me know if something's buggy ... I'm testing mainly in KDE, with some in XFCE ... but I've done quite a bit of updating to Eurynome, so who knows what I've missed.  Shocked

(I guess this is the right place for this ...  Huh )

Vector Linux 6.0 Light
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2007, 02:40:14 pm »

ooops... Moved this the other day, as it merits a place in Development, but forgot to say so... Embarrassed

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
incognu
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2007, 08:29:37 pm »

ooops... Moved this the other day, as it merits a place in Development, but forgot to say so... Embarrassed
Thanks for moving it, Joe1962! 

I thought I'd posted it elsewhere, but figured it was just another thing I'd temporarily misplaced.  Grin

Vector Linux 6.0 Light
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2007, 08:38:38 pm »

Looking good so far. Like the throbber!

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
JohnB316
Administrator
Vectorian

Registered Linux User #386728

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2007, 09:53:03 am »

I second Joe's comment about the new eurynome theme. ;-)

Cheers,
John

VL 6.0 SOHO latest alpha on one box, VL 5.9 Lite on the other.
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2007, 11:04:42 am »

This is only somewhat related to the thread, but still... From a recent DW weekly news:
Distribution usage based on browser statistics

Last week, a readers emailed us this question: "Have you ever thought of the idea to analyse the HTTP headers the browser sends and use that to generate statistics of what people are using? That would IMHO be a much more interesting statistic." The simple answer is "yes". In fact this data is already available courtesy of the Awstats traffic analyser and can be accessed here.

The question has prompted us to extend the Awstats program to include other distributions that were not originally tracked by Awstats, at least those that provide a custom browser string which enables their identification; these include BLAG, Elive, Gentoo Linux, KateOS, Kubuntu, Linspire, MEPIS Linux, Linux Mint, Pardus Linux, PCLinuxOS and Vine Linux. These distributions were only added to the list on 29 April (before that, they were classified as "unknown/unspecified"), so the statistics for April are not accurate, but starting from next month, the page should give more complete data about the usage of the various distributions by the visitors of DistroWatch. However, web browsers of many other distributions, including those in Slackware, KNOPPIX, SabayonLinux, VectorLinux, Puppy Linux and Zenwalk, don't identify themselves in any distinct way, so we won't be able to count those.

Is this something we want/need/desire, etc? Also, is it a proper thing to do? Just asking opinions here. If both replies are positive, then it could be included in the upcoming 1.1.2 package.

incognu
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2007, 12:59:00 pm »

This is only somewhat related to the thread, but still... From a recent DW weekly news:
Distribution usage based on browser statistics

Last week, a readers emailed us this question: "Have you ever thought of the idea to analyse the HTTP headers the browser sends and use that to generate statistics of what people are using? That would IMHO be a much more interesting statistic." The simple answer is "yes". In fact this data is already available courtesy of the Awstats traffic analyser and can be accessed here.

The question has prompted us to extend the Awstats program to include other distributions that were not originally tracked by Awstats, at least those that provide a custom browser string which enables their identification; these include BLAG, Elive, Gentoo Linux, KateOS, Kubuntu, Linspire, MEPIS Linux, Linux Mint, Pardus Linux, PCLinuxOS and Vine Linux. These distributions were only added to the list on 29 April (before that, they were classified as "unknown/unspecified"), so the statistics for April are not accurate, but starting from next month, the page should give more complete data about the usage of the various distributions by the visitors of DistroWatch. However, web browsers of many other distributions, including those in Slackware, KNOPPIX, SabayonLinux, VectorLinux, Puppy Linux and Zenwalk, don't identify themselves in any distinct way, so we won't be able to count those.

Is this something we want/need/desire, etc? Also, is it a proper thing to do? Just asking opinions here. If both replies are positive, then it could be included in the upcoming 1.1.2 package.

My opinion: 1) yes and 2) yes. 

I think it would be trivial to add it in the form of, for example:
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.1.2) Gecko/20070227 SeaMonkey/1.1.1 (VectorLinux)

I scroogled around for useragent strings, and found this page (clicky) which has various FX strings.  Some (Debian and derivatives) seem to use that format, others use a different one, appending the distro to Linux. 

Deb and 'buntu style listed for FX:
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.10) Gecko/20050925 Firefox/1.0.4 (Debian package 1.0.4-2sarge5)

So it would be possible to have something like "VectorLinux package 1.1.1-1vl58" if we wanted to get fancy.

Re the theme:  do you prefer the old bookmark icon style with the VL subskins:

The subskin @import url("chrome://global/skin/subskin/folders-orig/bookmarks.css"); would do it.  (been working on getting that subskin more complete)

Re the throbber: thanks.  I'm pleased with the way the animation turned out.

Vector Linux 6.0 Light
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2007, 02:28:05 pm »

Yes. Took me a few days to decide, but I think the new bookmark icons make it look too busy. The plain yellow ones are nicer on the eyes.

incognu
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2007, 09:19:02 pm »

Yes. Took me a few days to decide, but I think the new bookmark icons make it look too busy. The plain yellow ones are nicer on the eyes.
I think the plain ones look better with the metal subskin.  I may switch back to those by default, and keep the new ones as a subskin, or else include the old ones as a default VL subskin, to go with metal.

I think I like the new folder style though, which is more orbit-ish.

Re the distro identification string, the way I'd go about it is to patch (with the slackbuild script) xpfe/bootstrap/browser-prefs.js to include this preference:
pref("general.useragent.extra.vendorComment", "(VectorLinux package 1.1.2-1vl58)");'
It's a good way to identify builder/distro/whatever, without actually changing the useragent.  It just appends it.  You can try it by going to about:config, right-clicking, New > String and enter the name and value.

But I'm easy on whether we do it or not.

Vector Linux 6.0 Light
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: