VectorLinux
August 30, 2014, 06:14:18 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Terminal and Konsole quit instantly + How to change shell?  (Read 1335 times)
jonnycmw

« on: July 21, 2007, 10:44:16 pm »

Hey all,
I installed VL yesterday, and so far it seems fast, but just a while ago, as soon as i clicked the konsole icon, it loads, then quits, so I cant do anything with my konsole.

Also,  how do i change the shell for a user?

Please help Cheesy
Jonny
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 03:30:49 am »

That sounds rather unusual.
I'm not sure you should change that... bash is the standard linux shell, if it doesn't work properly you'll probably get into trouble sooner or later. Do the virtual terminals work? there's 4 of them by default, you should be able to access them with [ctrl]+[alt]+[F1-4] . You can go back to X with [ctrl]+[alt]+[F7].

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 08:03:13 am »

I have seen that behaviour in the past and IIRC it is due to one of two things: a faulty install (maybe the result of a bad CDROM burn or bad md5sum) or hardware faults on your machine - particularly bad RAM.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 09:23:42 am »

/etc/shells contains all available shells (probably only bash and ash)

chsh is the command to change the default shell for a given user (Actually, It just changes the appropiate line in /etc/passwd but in a safer way)

Be careful when changing shells, especially when changing root shell.  It can leave you a locked system  Wink

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: